2021 Giro D'Italia

Remove this Banner Ad

It's starting Saturday week. Teams haven't been announced yet but the main contenders will be Egan Bernal, Remco Evenepoel, Simon Yates, Emanuel Buchman, Alex Vlasov, Mikel Landa, with Jai Hindley being really the only Australian who can win it.

Yates has started the season well with 1st overall in a reasonably strong Tour of the Alps, and top 10 finishes in the Volta a Catalunya and Tirreno-Adriatico. Bernal beat Yates in the former by finishing top 5 but hasn't won anything so that's hard to gauge. Evenepoel hasn't even raced this year so far, yet he's still equal second favourite. Same With Buchman, so it's a good chance for BikeExchange to get a badly needed win.

Hopefully it's a Yates/Hindley top 2 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Anyone think that anybody can beat Sagan for the Maglia Ciclamino?
Depends on what form he's in. He didn't get close to winning the Green in the Tour last year, partly due to form, partly due to the race organisers refusing the put the intermediate sprints on the far side of big hills.

Depends on what form he's in. He didn't get close to winning the Green in the Tour last year, partly due to form, partly due to the race organisers refusing the put the intermediate sprints on the far side of big hills.
He also lost the Ciclamino last year. Most of the sprints seem to be before climbs this year. I wonder if he elects to go for the Giro-Tour or Giro-Vuelta double.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
The anticipation of the Remco show is building. Hopefully he recovers from crashes better than Froomey.

He won't win but Landa has been in good climbing form.

If Bardet is here to race rather than warm up for France I'm excepting him to finish ahead of Hindley. DSM have a pretty strong team here.

ISN have given Martin some good workhorses but he is a podium chance at best.

Yates to win from Carthy and Bernal.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Today's a nothing stage (just a 9km prologue), Sunday is a sprinters stages and Monday has been categorised as "hilly".

Tuesday should be the first semi-interesting stage with what is basically a summit finish (there's 2.5km of riding on the plateau at the end)

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
This is a reasonable preview for those looking to read up about some of the stages and who the teams/riders are that should be in contention

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
A bit late, but I'll try to track them down and post in advance...

01map.jpg

01profile.jpg

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
The stage is flat, with just a few undulations in the central section. The route runs along the roads of the hinterland of Turin, reaches the Asti area and takes in a few short ascents (KOM points are awarded at Montechiaro d’Asti). In the second section, the stage follows flat, wide and straight roads until the finish.
Final kilometres
The final kilometres are completely flat, with a few roundabouts and one last right-hander approx. 1,500 m before the finish. In the closing kilometre, the road is wide, undulating a little as the route crosses an underpass, and narrowing briefly with 700 m to go, owing to a roundabout. The finish line sits on tarmac.
02map.jpg
02profile.jpg

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Absolutely not a fan of that stage profile graphic. Someone showing off Excel skills at making a 3D graph rather than one that is read at a glance. If i can't find a better source I'll shoop them.
Pretty sure that is the official stage profile graphic.

Either that, or about 5 different cycling related websites I've visited in the last week all copy off the same source 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back