2021 Giro D'Italia

Remove this Banner Ad

Landa going down is a huge loss for the race in general. Not only is he one of the best rider's in the race, he's one of the most entertaining. Tonight will probably sort out the men from the boys in the race, hopefully Jai and Simon can improve on their performance in stage 3. I'm expecting the "true" top 10 to sort themselves out tonight (between Vlasov, Evenepoel, Carthy, Bernal, Yates, Bardet, Martin, Bilbao, Hindley and Buchmann). I don't see Nibali seriously competing anymore).

Bardet has been quietly good so far. Wouldn't be shocked to see him finish top 5.

06map.jpg
06profile.jpg
Running almost entirely through the inland, across the Apennines, the stage is demanding in both course and profile. The route takes in several ascents, including two categorised climbs. The main obstacles along the course are the ones typically found in urban areas. The final climb is approx. 15 km long.
Final kilometres
The final kilometres are entirely uphill. Past Ascoli Piceno, the route rises steadily at around 5% up to Colle San Marco, and continues with slightly higher gradients all the way to the finish, on tarmac road.

On the final climb, between km 2 and 5 the average gradient is 9.97%. That's where the damage will be done. It backs off a bit towards the end.

How much better is the Keenan/Bridie commentary team?

Given the choice -
1. Keenan/Bridie
2. Keenan/McKewen
654968496849684 anyone/McKenzie
1. Keenan/Bridie/McEwen

I don't mind McKenzie. He's fine. Especiallyy in comparison to a few of the AFL commentators...

Thank god that the BEX car was going as slow as it was
They have a habit of this kind of thing, don't they...

Great win by Mader. Well deserved. Matej Mohoric was fantastic.

Bernal just looks that much better than everyone else. Hindley doesn't have the legs it seems, hope they rest him for the other GT's and he can attack the Olympics from a biased POV. Yates will get top 10 but he just doesn't look like he can challenge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remco was doing that very, very easily. Credit to Ineos but the they burnt a lot of matches for a few seconds on stage 6, cant recall them racing a GT stage like this early in a race for their previous leaders and Martinez attacking late on the climb seemed very odd to me. Cold days normally are harder to recover from and a day after losing Sivakov this is brave but could also turn out to be stupid. I dont think BEX or EF would be too worried about that result, both teams have done very little so far.

Realistically it is doubtful if Hindley will ever again podium a GT - The 2020 Giro was a mirage race - I'd also place Geoghan Hart in the same category.
So many top riders who dropped out of that race, or didn't start due to the scheduling. It was a truly bizarre outcome.

Hindley is still young - but there are so many other young riders who are already better than him. Think Pogacar, Evenepoul, Bernal. It's hard to see him ever beating any of these, unless injury (or something similar) brings them back to the pack.

So many top riders who dropped out of that race, or didn't start due to the scheduling. It was a truly bizarre outcome.

Hindley is still young - but there are so many other young riders who are already better than him. Think Pogacar, Evenepoul, Bernal. It's hard to see him ever beating any of these, unless injury (or something similar) brings them back to the pack.
I have no doubt Evenepoel is a gun but it's Day 6 of a three week race, let's see how he deals with week 2 and 3 in particular before we make those comments.

Pogacar and Bernal are stars though, and I think Geoghan Hart will be a gun too.

I have no doubt Evenepoel is a gun but it's Day 6 of a three week race, let's see how he deals with week 2 and 3 in particular before we make those comments.

Pogacar and Bernal are stars though, and I think Geoghan Hart will be a gun too.
Evenepoel has done exceptionally well in the 1-week races he's done. There's no reason to think he'll fail in the longer races, but I guess he's not proven yet.

Evenepoel has done exceptionally well in the 1-week races he's done. There's no reason to think he'll fail in the longer races, but I guess he's not proven yet.
That's why he has such big wraps on him. Don't get me wrong, he may well perform extremely well in weeks 2 and 3 but going from 7 day races to 21 day races is a huge step up

07map.jpg
07profile.jpg
A hilly stage with a flat finale. After a short stretch in the hinterland, the route follows the Adriatic coast up to Chieti (KOM). A brace of bends and undulations then leads back onto the coast, all the way to Termoli.
Final kilometres
The last 3 km are raced on urban roads. After leaving the coastal road, the route takes in a 200 m kick with 10-12% gradients, and then continues on a slight incline all the way to the finish. The route takes in a few sharp bends, and narrows briefly at the ‑800 m mark, eventually merging onto the home straight on tarmac road.

Weather: cloudy with sunny breaks most of the way, possible intermittent thunderstorms before the start and again for the last hour of the stage. SW crosswinds all the way, but as we saw on Wednesday the areas are generally built up and it shouldn't have much effect.

Last edited:
Tonight's stage looks like one for the breakaway, or maybe a puncheur in the mold of Alaphilippe who attacks at the top of the Cat 2 climb and tries to gap the peleton on the downhill section

Screenshot-2021-05-13-at-19.22.17-1.png

The final climb appears to have a nasty little ramp about 400m from the end too

1621061635397.png

Last edited:
08map.jpg

This stage across the Apennines features one single lengthy climb, and a steep, challenging kick just before the finish. At first, the route runs along fast and mainly straight roads all the way to Campobasso. The riders then reach the Matese Mountains to negotiate the Bocca della Selva climb (over 20 km), followed by a lengthy descent that ends 10 km before the finish. The route then rises all the way to the finish, with a sharp kick before homing in.
Final kilometres
The closing climb is approx. 3 km long. The gradient hovers around 10% for the first 2 km, with sharper peaks. The pitch returns to milder gradients in Guardia Sanframondi, and then kicks up again with 400 m to go, after a left-hander. The home straight is on tarmac road and on a slight incline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back