Preview 2021 Goodbye (To 2022) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Georgiades ever be a #1 forward? He is a lead-up jumping forward that doesn't suit being the primary target in our forwardline. He is undersized for his position and isn't really a contested 1 on 1 player. Best case scenario for him is we start playing some faster, more direct footy and he can be a forward in the Jack Reiwoldt mould.

The current gameplan where we just lump the ball on Dixon's head 30 times a game because he won't get outmarked absolutely sucks. I think Jack Riewoldt is Mitch's ceiling, but Riewoldt got there because Richmond spent a decade playing to his strengths.

The current gameplan where we just lump the ball on Dixon's head 30 times a game because he won't get outmarked absolutely sucks. I think Jack Riewoldt is Mitch's ceiling, but Riewoldt got there because Richmond spent a decade playing to his strengths.

The good news is that MG is still well and truly young enough to have a great career long after The Sacking.

Pre-Season training starts late November, some players are already running laps at Alberton.

Thought I'd continue the tradition and make this the pre-season thread and give it the title it deserves.

Pre-Season training starts late November, some players are already running laps at Alberton.

Thought I'd continue the tradition and make this the pre-season thread and give it the title it deserves.
Yeah thanks for that, now I know where all the preseason stuff is rather than having to wade through all those other threads with their sensible titles :thumbsu:

I’d like Dixon chf finlayson ff and georgiades fp with the latters leading in different directions
Amon getting the 2nd mid role Bonner and duursma wings. Can utilise Bonner’s good kick and won’t get found out with defensive 1v1’s.
Butters, bergman and boak as next string mids. Keep rozzee mainly as hff where he was so dangerous 1st year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Georgiades ever be a #1 forward? He is a lead-up jumping forward that doesn't suit being the primary target in our forwardline. He is undersized for his position and isn't really a contested 1 on 1 player. Best case scenario for him is we start playing some faster, more direct footy and he can be a forward in the Jack Reiwoldt mould.
Nope, he'll probably never be a #2 forward either, he's just too small. I've said it a few times, but the one thing I really want Mitch to work on over this pre-season is his ground ball game. Not sure if it's linked back to his hammy issues, but he doesn't have the ability to pick a ground ball up on the run, so if it's not in the air his best case scenario is neutralising it.

I have no doubt his footy iq and aerial ability will continue to develop naturally, but if he can add even just an average ground ball ability to his game, he'll be right up there as a high impact forward.

I’m hopeful Georgiades will become some absolute monster in the midfield TBH.

Why? He's the best young KPF we've had on our list since Tredrea. Shows all the capabilities of being a 50+ goal KPF. Why would you move him into the midfield? He's not a Nat Fyfe type who played forward as a junior and then moved to the midfield at AFL level. And Schofield was merely talking about MG's midfield prospects in an interview as rather talking up the player as a whole, saying he'd love to work with a player of his calibre, rather than firmly believing MG would be a better player as a midfielder than a forward.

I swear the discussion of a player being moved to midfield when they've shown so much promise as a forward or backman happens each pre-season, and never actually eventuates. It's like the young kid who is captain of his primary school cricket team organising the batting order, always picking the best two batsmen to be the openers regardless of any other circumstances. Just makes no sense.

Why? He's the best young KPF we've had on our list since Tredrea. Shows all the capabilities of being a 50+ goal KPF. Why would you move him into the midfield? He's not a Nat Fyfe type who played forward as a junior and then moved to the midfield at AFL level. And Schofield was merely talking about MG's midfield prospects in an interview as rather talking up the player as a whole, saying he'd love to work with a player of his calibre, rather than firmly believing MG would be a better player as a midfielder than a forward.

I swear the discussion of a player being moved to midfield when they've shown so much promise as a forward or backman happens each pre-season, and never actually eventuates. It's like the young kid who is captain of his primary school cricket team organising the batting order, always picking the best two batsmen to be the openers regardless of any other circumstances. Just makes no sense.
Because elite midfielders win premierships??

Because elite midfielders win premierships??

And how does MG project at all to be a midfielder? He's our best KPF prospect and already capable of a 40 goal season, and hes not even 21 yet. Keep him in the forward line, bloody hell.

You want elite midfielders, give Butters, Duursma, Rozee and Bergman more time on ball.

And how does MG project at all to be a midfielder? He's our best KPF prospect and already capable of a 40 goal season, and hes not even 21 yet. Keep him in the forward line, bloody hell.

You want elite midfielders, give Butters, Duursma, Rozee and Bergman more time on ball.
Or Jones, Houston, Pep, Burton, DBJ, Bonner, Farrell, Mead, McEntee...

Not saying all those options are gonna make it, but definitely all of them are much closer to having the attributes required for a midfield spot.

Meanwhile not one of them can come close to doing what MG can do in the forward line. See ball, leap at ball, mark ball, kick goal. The MG playbook.

I love to see the traditional pre-season title format making a comeback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back