Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not exactly true …
Us : We offered $ x years
BB : wanted more $ & years
Us: Told him to wait till season end
Crap Covid season 2020 plus He got injured with his knee etc…
Us: said you are now not worth what we offered originally how about this ? (Less)
BB; said no , want more still.
Us: go & explore your trade options
you forget the bit where we paid him peanuts for the first contracts of his career ...

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
you forget the bit where we paid him peanuts for the first contracts of his career ...

Don’t think anyone walks into AFL with a big contract

Although he gave him 3 years head start, Luke Jackson has already easily caught and passed Tim English

English looked defeated when going up in the ruck - looking across at Gawn and going farkkkkk

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
PLAYERCARD]Roarke Smith probably played his best game of his career last night. His pressure was great and got quite a lot of touches and a goal to get them going. He had 16 disposals, 9 kicks, 1 goal, 7 handballs and 5 tackles which is one of his highest possession game he's played and definitely his best this season. Also Adam Treloar played well in the first half and Caleb Daniel played a major roll in the much needed defence. Speeking of defence Easton Wood played well to until he hurt his rist and came off. But the dees just simply had a better structure than the dogs and moved the ball faster. Well earned win from Melbourne. The dogs will be back firing next year for their third flag. Go the dogs!!
Yeah, nobody cares mate.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
English looked defeated when going up in the ruck - looking across at Gawn and going farkkkkk

Reckon Bevo might have had a moment half way through the finals where he looked at his English/Young ruck combo and gone farkkkkk. Got a little bit from nearly 35yo Stef Martin in the last two games, but it's a real hole the Dogs have.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Reckon Bevo might have had a moment half way through the finals where he looked at his English/Young ruck combo and gone farkkkkk. Got a little bit from nearly 35yo Stef Martin in the last two games, but it's a real hole the Dogs have.

Yeah agreed.
Martin is done - they should be into ladhams from port

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One thing that struck me today after watching Melbourne win a flag is that how utterly sh*t it must be to follow St. Kilda
I was actually thinking that last night, they are the only team left with the term ’premiership drought’ left hanging over their heads (us in around 5 years:huh:). A lot of their fans revel in their misery and shitness, like it’s some sort of badge of honour. Not sure it’s been mentioned in the thread but a Doggies win would have meant them inching closer to our 4 flags and maybe even overtaken us in a few years. They’ve probably got another 5 years to do that I reckon, don’t think they will though.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Great stat. Glad one of our s**t finals records has been beaten. Port actually scored their last 17 goals in that game in 57 minutes (PA 17.4-106 to our 3.3) The game that's third of that list - Adel v Melb 2002 - the Dees actually lost! Still shaking my head about last night's game.
  • In that 51mins, Melbourne scored 16.4-100 to 1.1-7. In the previous 48 minutes, the Bulldogs kicked 8-3-51 to 1.5-11. It turned around so quickly. At the 24min mark of the 3rd quarter the Dogs were still ahead, but lost by 74pts!
  • Melbourne became only the second team to score 100+ in a half in a Grand Final, and the first to do it in the second half - Carlton scored 18.6-114 in the first half of 1972 v Richmond.
  • Melbourne's last quarter of 9.3-57 v 1.1-7 is the third most one-sided Grand Final Quarter ever. In 1930, Collingwood trailed by 21 points at half time against Geelong, but kicked 8.6-54 to 0.1-1 in the third quarter. The record is the third quarter of 1946. Essendon kicked 11.8-74 to Melbourne's 1.1-7.
  • Melbourne's 82 point second half win - 101 to 19 - is the most lopsided half in Grand Final history. The previous record was after half time in 2007 - Geelong 13.6-84 v Port 2.5-17.
  • Only the third ever instance of a side losing a quarter by 29pts or more and going on to win a Grand Final. Carlton were 29 down against Collingwood at 1/4 time in 1970 but won by 10. Hawthorn led Geelong by 36 at 3/4 time in 1989 but held on to win by 6. Last night, Melbourne lost the second quarter by 29, but still won by 74. (North lost the 3rd quarter in 1977 by 29, came back for a draw, and won the replay)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
PLAYERCARD]Roarke Smith probably played his best game of his career last night. His pressure was great and got quite a lot of touches and a goal to get them going. He had 16 disposals, 9 kicks, 1 goal, 7 handballs and 5 tackles which is one of his highest possession game he's played and definitely his best this season. Also Adam Treloar played well in the first half and Caleb Daniel played a major roll in the much needed defence. Speeking of defence Easton Wood played well to until he hurt his rist and came off. But the dees just simply had a better structure than the dogs and moved the ball faster. Well earned win from Melbourne. The dogs will be back firing next year for their third flag. Go the dogs!!

As Franco Cozzo used to point out there are clearly two suburbs and my friend you are posting in the wrong of the two.

Leadership:

“Gawny, come on,” Petracca chuckled while being interviewed on the Sunday Footy Show. “I ran past him to go the bench and I looked at him and I was like, ‘You can’t be doing that’.

“What is he (Daniel) — he’s 5’7, you’re 6’11 and you went down like a rag doll. Come on mate.”

Snojet

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Please, please, please Channel 7 retire Brian Taylor. Last night I had to turn him off and managed to listen to Triple M - marginally better and marginally out of sinc. Tried to watch the replay this afternoon but could only bare listening to the pyromanic buffoon doing his best to impersonate Rex Hunt from 20 years ago for 10 minutes.
Surely 7 will use the off-season to build a better team

Last edited:

…good on him

Still hasn’t changed my mind and again it was on show last night, 3 goals, 30 goals or whatever…his inability to take contested marks was not what we needed in this next decade

1069C6EC-126F-4D20-B250-573BF8772E97.jpeg

That’s a lot of contested marks for someone who can’t take contested marks.

1 in 3 marks is a contested mark.

Snojet

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Brown received more free kicks (4) than any other player on the ground.
It makes me shake my head when I reflect back on all those times he was raped, pillaged and plundered while playing for us.
Glad he was finally rewarded even if it was a season or two too late.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With the anomaly of Essendon 2016-17, where they got their drugs cheats back, the highest an 18th-placed wooden-spooner has finished the following year is 14th. (St.Kilda 2014-15, Carlton 2015-16, Gold Coast 2019-20). We'll do well to do that.
Alot of water to go under the bridge yet but you would have to expect that we will improve overall in terms of our performance - Chom, JHF, more maturity in the midfield.

That said we were along way last this year so will need to improve a fair bit to actually move off the bottom of the ladder.

Bottom placed sides will always think they can bounce the next year - there are always excuses that can be made; they have pick 1 etc - but your data shows that even if they do come off the bottom it is very difficult to get out of the bottom 4.

I imagine that will be our position as well - around that 15th-16th mark - but alot more competitive and not as many thrashings.

How does that compare to say Dixon-Tomahawk-Cameron?

Charlie Dixon isn’t fit to tie Ben Brown’s shoelaces.

Ben Brown 32 contested marks per 100

Jeremy Cameron 19 contested marks per 100

Tom Hawkins 33 contested marks per 100

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2009
The Y Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To those that experienced 99’ what does it feel like? It’s only something I can dream of.
Was 10 when we won our 1st and 34 when '99 came around. '99 was a relief, really needed it to claim that ''team of 90s'' title, '96 was euphoric.
I'm really looking forward to seeing us win a fifth flag before I hit 60, so that being the case, you won't have to wait long, and even at your tender age, your life will then be complete ;)

Back