AFL Grand Final 2021 Grand Final - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Who you want to win the flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
The only relevant similarity between the 2016 and 2021 Dogs finals campaigns is the disgusting umpiring favouritism.

OK, but doesn't umpiring favouritism just add to a sense of déjà vu with both finals campaigns? And I didn't even mention other similarities in relation to Premiership odds and injuries to key players...

FYI, I'm firmly on the Melbourne bandwagon - Go Dees!!!

Last edited:

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Damn that Port autopsy thread is scorched earth stuff.
It certainly is.
To not turn up when everything seemed to be in their favor would be soul destroying. I think that must be the coaches worst nightmare. I'm not sure why it happens. Overconfidence? Laziness? Mental weakness? Inexperience? Opponents are able to turn the volume upto 11?

Did it ever happen to us in our Golden Years?

PS trading Burton is looking like a genius move.

Braidz

All Australian
Sep 9, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Power champion Kane Cornes has put a line through the Bulldogs’ premiership hopes after throwing away a top four spot.

“They’ve cost themselves a premiership. It’s one of the greatest chokes of all time,” Cornes told Channel Nine’s Sunday Footy Show.

".... they end up in fifth spot with no hope of winning the flag "
I love when Kornes comments come back and bite him in the…

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s a tricky one. As a club I have always much preferred Bulldogs and have historically disliked Melbourne a lot. But as a current team, Melbourne’s players are pretty inoffensive whereas the Dogs have a few that are hard to like. And they seem to get kissed on the dick constantly with umpiring and father sons / academy gifts. I know some great Melbourne fans but also some really bad ones - as a fan base I think they will make terrible winners.

Think I’m just hoping for a great game after a pretty ordinary finals series so far

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
It certainly is.
To not turn up when everything seemed to be in their favor would be soul destroying. I think that must be the coaches worst nightmare. I'm not sure why it happens. Overconfidence? Laziness? Mental weakness? Inexperience? Opponents are able to turn the volume upto 11?

Did it ever happen to us in our Golden Years?

PS trading Burton is looking like a genius move.

12 and 14 we didn't turn up and had to grind our way back into it.
13 we couldn't hit the side of a barn door otherwise we'd have been 5 goals up and cruised to the grand final.

15 freo really didn't turn up in a similar situation to port this year

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I just heard the commentator say”: “Harmes, grew up a passionate Demons supporter as a kid”…

Umm… Is Harmes 70 years old? If not, I’m calling bullshit on that ‘fact’…
That one is legit. (Harmes isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed though)

Stop rewriting history.

They kicked the first two goals and we outclassed them. But nowhere near 71 points. Or 51. Or 41.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Bailey Smith is OOC at the end of next year... Hope we are handing his manager a blank check and saying have whatever you want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
what would you be willing to give up in picks?
Honestly what ever it takes (within reason)

After hitting the Draft this year and the previous two i would be more than happy to trade that years first and the future one!

He is having an insanely good finals for such a young player. I strongly believe he will be the best player in the league within a few years.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stop rewriting history.

They kicked the first two goals and we outclassed them. But nowhere near 71 points. Or 51. Or 41.
That game was actually quite close. I will always remember the moment we broke their spirit when Rioli chased hard and spoiled / intercepted a D50 kick in the last quarter which resulted in a goal. The floodgates opened after that.

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2015 is my favourite finals campaign. Losing 1st week and it was a pretty ugly loss, being written off, interstate prelim and outclass eagles to complete 3-peat was sublime.

Just on this years finals I think demons win. This bye don’t think would do bulldogs any favours. They weren’t playing good footy until late 3rd quarter of first final. Were solid against lions and amazing vs power. I think they lose a whole lot of momentum.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
12 and 14 we didn't turn up and had to grind our way back into it.
13 we couldn't hit the side of a barn door otherwise we'd have been 5 goals up and cruised to the grand final.

Still they weren't the wheels fell off completely type games we have seen over the weekend. Slow to start/got jumped (initial choke) versus total collective choke. (TCC) I'm claiming this one in sports psychology.

Perhaps we don't credit the opposition enough, in this case it was 'shock and awe' from the Dogs. They looked like they were running at 110%, while the shocked team is still running at the H&A 85%.

I used to notice the Hawks seldom played 100% in H&A during the threepeat time, somewhere about 85%, and that was enough to put most teams to the sword. Come finals you noticed a jump in effort close to 100% then at times, and not sustained for a full game, 110% effort.

Braidz

All Australian
Sep 9, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2015 is my favourite finals campaign. Losing 1st week and it was a pretty ugly loss, being written off, interstate prelim and outclass eagles to complete 3-peat was sublime.

Just on this years finals I think demons win. This bye don’t think would do bulldogs any favours. They weren’t playing good footy until late 3rd quarter of first final. Were solid against lions and amazing vs power. I think they lose a whole lot of momentum.

Could also be the other way around. Melbourne only playing two games in the last month, both fairly easy wins.
I hate the bye pre finals or in finals.
Pre bye finals stuffed it for those finishing top 4, this could also stuff the team that earnt the week off
Only time will tell

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That one is legit. (Harmes isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed though)
Good luck for the GF Proper.
Teach the Throw dogs a football lesson, I do think the universe has played a pretty nasty trick on you having it in WA this year, but silverware is silverware.
If you do loose, at least we will be spared the smell of burning Rangerovers

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Good luck for the GF Proper.
Teach the Throw dogs a football lesson, I do think the universe has played a pretty nasty trick on you having it in WA this year, but silverware is silverware.
If you do loose, at least we will be spared the smell of burning Rangerovers
Thanks CD.

I think the universe has played a shitty trick on everybody these last 18 months. I’m trying not to take it personally in the more global context. I hope you, family and everyone here are holding up okay :thumbsu:

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks CD.

I think the universe has played a shitty trick on everybody these last 18 months. I’m trying not to take it personally in the more global context. I hope you, family and everyone here are holding up okay :thumbsu:
Too true. Loki/cosmic jester having fun at our expense. We operate with the expectation that things stay much the same whereas the world is much more chaotic than that. It's a only a veneer of certainty. Next Black Swan event is only a wing beat away.

My father died 2 weeks ago, so you might find it funny for me to say I'm OK. While I am sad to have lost him at 97yo, the alternative was the dreaded nursing home. He was a kind, humble, undemanding man, the only thing he ever asked me to do was NOT put him in a nursing home, so for a week it looked like he was headed that way. I felt liked I really let him down and prayed to that god I don't really believe in that he would die. Fortune smiled and after a week in hospital he died peacefully. His release was my relief.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Too true. Loki/cosmic jester having fun at our expense. We operate with the expectation that things stay much the same whereas the world is much more chaotic than that. It's a only a veneer of certainty. Next Black Swan event is only a wing beat away.

My father died 2 weeks ago, so you might find it funny for me to say I'm OK. While I am sad to have lost him at 97yo, the alternative was the dreaded nursing home. He was a kind, humble, undemanding man, the only thing he ever asked me to do was NOT put him in a nursing home, so for a week it looked like he was headed that way. I felt liked I really let him down and prayed to that god I don't really believe in that he would die. Fortune smiled and after a week in hospital he died peacefully. His release was my relief.
I’m very sorry CD. There is no good time to lose your father. I hope you and family stay well

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m very sorry CD. There is no good time to lose your father. I hope you and family stay well
Thanks. Death was preferable for him than the NH, he'd been fully independent all his life. The family has celebrated his life and it was one well lived. His Hawks beany was on his coffin as it went into the flames. If he had got to 98 I could have done the old singing telegram gag.

Back