AFL Grand Final 2021 Grand Final - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Who you want to win the flag?

• Total voters

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought Burton was awful last night

looked soft and under the pump every time he went near it
That mark Naughton took over the top of him in the first quarter was indicative of the difference in the lack of intent between the two teams.

Kinda surprised everyone on here is so keen to back a side who’s members tried to vote our club out of existence 🤷🏼‍♂️

They wanted to be involved with the Hawthorn FC. Obviously they have great taste.

Seriously though, 1964. I'm 48 and they have supporters older than me never to have won a flag. I'd be happy for those people.

Damn that Port autopsy thread is scorched earth stuff.

As it should be. They were pathetic last night.

Week off, home final, big crowd and their opponent having to negotiate some of the more ludicrous COVID restrictions in Australia.

Johnny Ryall

Rookie
Feb 7, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hopefully the Dogs get up in a couple of weeks to keep the Clarko era alive. Make it 9 straight for Clarko and the Apprentices.

JustKickIt

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Power champion Kane Cornes has put a line through the Bulldogs’ premiership hopes after throwing away a top four spot.

“They’ve cost themselves a premiership. It’s one of the greatest chokes of all time,” Cornes told Channel Nine’s Sunday Footy Show.

".... they end up in fifth spot with no hope of winning the flag "

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The current Bulldogs finals campaign has a very familiar vibe to their remarkable 2016 experience, consider:

Ladder position 2016: 7th
Ladder position 2021: 5th

Round 23 2016: Played 16th placed Freo who were coming off a 92pt belting by GWS the previous round - and somehow lost to them by 20pts.
Round 23 2021: Played 3rd placed Port at Docklands and lost in a thriller by 2pts, adding to their recent form slump with 3 losses in-a-row.

Week 1 2016 EF: Played 6th placed Eagles in Perth and despite losing to 16th placed Fremantle in round 23 at the same venue, they upset the highly fancied home team with a very comfortable 47pt victory.
Week 1 2021 EF: Played 8th placed Bombers in Launceston and despite losing to 15th placed Hawthorn in round 22 at the same venue, they found a way to defeat an in-form Bombers side, in the rain, easily by 49pts.

Week 2: 2016 SF: Played 3rd placed reigning premiers Hawthorn at the MCG and in a shock upset they won by 23pts.
Week 2: 2021 SF: Played 4th placed Lions in Brisbane and despite the home side being hot favourites they won a thriller by 1pt.

Week 3: 2016 PF: Played 4th placed GWS in Sydney and defeated their highly fancied opponents on their home ground by 6pts.
Week 3: 2021 PF: Played 2nd placed Port in Adelaide and absolutely belted the in-form home town favourites by 71pts.

Week 4: 2016 GF: Played 1st placed and flag favourites Sydney at the MCG and despite some poor umpiring, in an enthralling contest, they pulled off a stunning upset to win the flag by 22pts!
Week 4: 2021 GF: Played 1st placed and flag favourites Melbourne at neutral venue Perth Stadium.....TBC
I think the big difference for me is in 2016 from week 1 of the finals they looked the form side in the competition, their midfield was smashing teams all game. Their biggest challenger was GWS which they beat in the prelim every other win was pretty comfortable, as dogs controlled the ball and won the territory and inside 50’s by 20+ every game.

This year they look nowhere near as dominate and are yet to play their biggest threat. Lions dominated territory in that game and should have won. And dees are another level up on that.

For mine it’s dees to lose, the extra week off though meaning dees will have only played once in a month before the GF is in the dogs favour otherwise I reckon dees should win this comfortably.

That flog Kane Cornes must be devastated after that Port Adelaide loss.

Hopefully the Dogs get up in a couple of weeks to keep the Clarko era alive. Make it 9 straight for Clarko and the Apprentices.
Hopefully they don't, their club folds and they fade away in to obscurity.

Kinda surprised everyone on here is so keen to back a side who’s members tried to vote our club out of existence 🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s fun to mock the Demons on this fact but their vote was rigged by the powers that be. Thankfully our vote was fair.

Back