AFL Grand Final 2021 Grand Final - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Who you want to win the flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the best neutral fan match up since 2016. Or Hawthorn vs Buddy in 2014 at a stretch.

Two teams with a long history of really battling. Both play an entertaining brand of footy. Genuine 50/50 contest.

Can't wait for it.
Each to their own I guess

Seriously, who gives a rats about either of these clubs. I wish we could fast forward to trade period and the drafts.

No apologies, someone had to say it.
Flag number 3 for Doc Duryea though.:heavycheck:

Seriously, who gives a rats about either of these clubs. I wish we could fast forward to trade period and the drafts.

No apologies, someone had to say it.
The good thing about this Finals is that either Richmond or Geelong are not in it.

25fd7.don-scott.jpg

Come on Doggies.

You would obviously rather your side be in it than not but I still feel sorry for Melbourne and Dogs (to a lesser extent) fans. It doesn’t feel like a real grand final. None of the hype and buzz and the best things about winning a premiership are the build up, attending the game itself and the immediate celebration. Doing that all from the lounge room and only speaking to mates on Zoom would be a very anti climatic end to a long wait for the Dees fans.

Even as a neutral fan grand final day is one of my favourite days of the year and I usually love the build up and all of the breakfasts and events during the week. I hate having a second one in a row in lockdown. With two Melbourne based sides for the first time in a decade it’s so flat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first pre-finals bye helped the Dogs in 2016.... And funnily enough the first pre-Grand Final bye is going to help them again!

The Dogs are a momentum team....they had it in 2016 and have it this final series. I'm not so sure the week off will be that great for them coming right as they were rolling along.

The Dogs are a momentum team....they had it in 2016 and have it this final series. I'm not so sure the week off will be that great for them coming right as they were rolling along.

Good point! But I think if they just rolled into the GF last week then the Bulldogs gruelling travel schedule would have caught up with them... I still think the bye was a blessing for them to regroup and give them the best chance at beating Melbourne.

Good point! But I think if they just rolled into the GF last week then the Bulldogs gruelling travel schedule would have caught up with them... I still think the bye was a blessing for them to regroup and give them the best chance at beating Melbourne.
I don't have a preference for who should win the GF. However, agree with your comment and am tipping the Dogs to win by 19 points.

For mine the bye week negates the weeks prior so it won't really matter that the Bulldogs played the one extra game in the lead-up. Both teams similarly blew their opponents off the park against similar opposition, Melbourne with two weeks off and having passed quarantine, the Bulldogs with the extra game and having been stuck in quarantine for much of it.

If anything I think the bye has assisted Melbourne as it has allowed May time to overcome his injury. Had he played last weekend his hammy might have been tight and the Bulldogs forwards might have taken advantage. Both teams now are coming in even - for me it is the team that settles best on the day and overcomes the nerves.

The WBs played with high intensity and were ferocious against PA who went to water. The Demons will need to match the Doggies in this area. If they do they should win.

Bullies by 16 feel like they have more role players that will win their match ups.
Funny how many GFs over the years have been decided by the role player types.

Think Stewie Dew in 2008 or Shuan Hart in 2001.

Assuming the stars on each side play to their capacity and negate each other a big game from a role player can turn a match.

Bullies by 16 feel like they have more role players that will win their match ups.
I think the dees win for the same reason. I see the dees 22 bats a lot deeper than the dogs. Plus their lesser players play less key roles than is the case with the dogs.

I definitely agree bottom 6 will have a big say in who wins.

I think the dees win for the same reason. I see the dees 22 bats a lot deeper than the dogs. Plus their lesser players play less key roles than is the case with the dogs.

I definitely agree bottom 6 will have a big say in who wins.

Accordingly predict:
Top 6; Will mostly negate each other throughout the match
Middle 6; Similar and aside from the occasional highlight will have little impact
Bottom 6; 10 mins of brilliance or simply less fumbles/clangers will likely decide the outcome

Got a feeling Tom McDonald might have a big game this week.
Trust Melbourne's defence more than the dogs.
Can see it a 15 goals to 11 game.

Back