AFL Grand Final 2021 Grand Final - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Who you want to win the flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dogs proved vulnerable in the back half of the season. That was pretty obvious.

Also wouldn’t have made the grand final had the umpire correctly called Bont for holding the ball against the Lions.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Saw it totally differently. Thought he was far and away the best player on the ground after that goal in the third.

As Melbourne kept walzting it out of the middle he looked frustrated but was incredibly vocal getting around his fellow midfielders. Then he won a couple of balls from the tap down but Melbournes pressure just absorbed him. They were seriously playing on another level.

I had the Norm Smith top 3 as Petracca, Salem and Bont come games end. Was staggered to see Daniel got a vote but Bont got none.
Fritsch ahead of Bont. The guy kicked 6 in a GF and kicked decisive goals when the game was in the balance. Bont 3rd or 4th inline after that IMO. Top 4 players on the ground was pretty obvious this year.

Demons players still partying in WA.
Good on em, but if the leadership group don't bring them back soon, can only imagine e how big the fall will be next year

Don't think a few days of partying is going to cruel their chances next year. That list and the brand of footy they play will take some stopping now that they know they can get the job done as well. Only one player in that side Saturday is over 30. I think the premiership hangover won't be an issue for them.

Don't think a few days of partying is going to cruel their chances next year. That list and the brand of footy they play will take some stopping now that they know they can get the job done as well. Only one player in that side Saturday is over 30. I think the premiership hangover won't be an issue for them.

I agree, get it out of the way hard and early. So long as they're back in time for pre-Christmas training it won't be a massive issue.

They certainly do look positioned to challenge for a good while yet, annoyingly enough. They've had their big break now so I'd prefer they go back to being a basket case!

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
It's more about how you turn up for pre-season than a week of partying. I'm sure we had some fun after 2013 but everyone knew that you had to turn up for 14 in shape.

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Injuries come eventually but if they have a charmed run again in 2022 they will be hard to beat

It's more about how you turn up for pre-season than a week of partying. I'm sure we had some fun after 2013 but everyone knew that you had to turn up for 14 in shape.

Dusty Martin's car was parked under the MCG for months after the grand final in 2019 because he pushed it so hard on the partying. Didn't stop him winning his 3rd Norm Smith in 2020.

I agree, get it out of the way hard and early. So long as they're back in time for pre-Christmas training it won't be a massive issue.

They certainly do look positioned to challenge for a good while yet, annoyingly enough. They've had their big break now so I'd prefer they go back to being a basket case!

Brisbane is their biggest threat I would say now - and I am not sure what they are going to be like mentally after falling down in the finals successively now. If the Lions get fit I think they have the better side to go with the Demons than the Dogs do. Don't rate Port at all and Geelong look to be getting older than younger, so I can't see that strategy paying off at all.

Even if the Tigers bring in a midfielder to revitalise their side - I honestly don't think even at their 2017/18 best that Richmond were as good as the Demons were this year, particularly in the grand final. I know a lot of sides look to be a dynasty in the days after a grand final win - but so long as they don't drink their own bathwater I don't see many sides capable of knocking them off.

Brisbane is their biggest threat I would say now - and I am not sure what they are going to be like mentally after falling down in the finals successively now. If the Lions get fit I think they have the better side to go with the Demons than the Dogs do. Don't rate Port at all and Geelong look to be getting older than younger, so I can't see that strategy paying off at all.

Even if the Tigers bring in a midfielder to revitalise their side - I honestly don't think even at their 2017/18 best that Richmond were as good as the Demons were this year, particularly in the grand final. I know a lot of sides look to be a dynasty in the days after a grand final win - but so long as they don't drink their own bathwater I don't see many sides capable of knocking them off.

Yeah I like Brisbane's spread across the ground, especially if they can get Rayner back and firing to take over that impact role in the midfield. His loss was pretty big in the scheme of things. Port are a surprisingly old team so I don't think they'll stay up for long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nathan Brown identifies a lack of a sweeper in the middle for the Doggies late in the third quarter as the reason for Melbourne's rapid turn around. AFL grand final 2021: Western Bulldogs defeat Melbourne Demons clearances analysis (nine.com.au) I don't really understand enough about their set up to know if this is true, I'd be interested in what posters more informed than me think.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nathan Brown identifies a lack of a sweeper in the middle for the Doggies late in the third quarter as the reason for Melbourne's rapid turn around. AFL grand final 2021: Western Bulldogs defeat Melbourne Demons clearances analysis (nine.com.au) I don't really understand enough about their set up to know if this is true, I'd be interested in what posters more informed than me think.
Never mind libba, I think that footage looks most damning for Treloar in the first couple then Bont in the last 2. Both get sucked into the contest. Or in Bonts case he sacrifices being on the defensive side and gets into no mans land, where he isn’t close enough to effect the contest but too close to stop Jackson getting past him.

Especially in the last couple they had the set up right players just didn’t hold their ground. Similar to what we do when oppositions stream it out of the centre against us.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep. Rookie error.
Dees knew it and just rail roaded them through the front of the centre bounce. Game over.

Never mind libba, I think that footage looks most damning for Treloar in the first couple then Bont in the last 2. Both get sucked into the contest. Or in Bonts case he sacrifices being on the defensive side and gets into no mans land, where he isn’t close enough to effect the contest but too close to stop Jackson getting past him.

Especially in the last couple they had the set up right players just didn’t hold their ground. Similar to what we do when oppositions stream it out of the centre against us.

Gotta be clean, and most of those goals came from some fumbling dogs through the middle of the ground. Considering all said about how much Gawn would impact on this game, that entire turnaround happened without him in the middle.

without the 6 - 6 - 6 they could have put some things in place
Everyone plays to the same rules. Stop making excuses for poorly manned and structured defence. Takes away from the demons exploiting the bulldogs weaknesses.

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Everyone plays to the same rules. Stop making excuses for poorly manned and structured defence. Takes away from the demons exploiting the bulldogs weaknesses.
no excuses as I don't follow either team and you can only play to the rules of the current day which Melbourne did much better

fact is Melbourne played terrible footy for 40 minutes, for most grand finals that would see you at best come back for a tight victory

no excuses as I don't follow either team and you can only play to the rules of the current day which Melbourne did much better

fact is Melbourne played terrible footy for 40 minutes, for most grand finals that would see you at best come back for a tight victory

Interesting perspective....

I saw it as the Dogs taking control for a period which then led to a bit of a stalemate of sorts before the Dees got their structures back.
The Dogs then gave up some easy goals quite quickly and that ultimately decided the game.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gotta be clean, and most of those goals came from some fumbling dogs through the middle of the ground. Considering all said about how much Gawn would impact on this game, that entire turnaround happened without him in the middle.
Jackson was so important to that turn around. His follow up work is second to none. Not sure dees could be that dominant without him.

Last edited:
Back