AFL Grand Final 2021 Grand Final - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Who you want to win the flag?

• Total voters
Jackson was so important to that turn around. His follow up work is second to none. Not sure dees could be that dominate without him.

He's so bloody impressive. He looks like a man among boys at times and he is the bloody young one.

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I feel the opposite actually. Half this group now knows the feeling of both winning one and losing one. They'll continue to develop two of the most highly rated KPF draftees of the past decade and their gun midfield is still young. Every chance to be their at the pointy end again next season.

How you can be three goals up half way through the third quarter of a Grand Final and almost lose by 100 points is mind blowing, but on another day they may just go on with it and win by 7 goals themselves.

sure, you can write whatever narrative you like and generally it’s forgotten. Only what actually happens from here matters.

Going into the game most were saying Bulldogs midfield was so strong and was going to win them the game. I’ve never seen a team so comprehensively destroyed in the middle in a GF. Only thing that gave dogs a chance was Melbourne’s inaccuracy in the first half.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The current rules have made for a much better game to watch than a couple of years ago. The Bulldogs and Cats might want to invest in a decent ruckman.

Last edited:

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
no excuses as I don't follow either team and you can only play to the rules of the current day which Melbourne did much better

fact is Melbourne played terrible footy for 40 minutes, for most grand finals that would see you at best come back for a tight victory
Melbourne were outplayed for a quarter and half, Bulldogs were thrashed for 2 and half quarter.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
without the 6 - 6 - 6 they could have put some things in place

Correct - the sweeper Brown is talking about would have been a spare coming off half back last year.

The space that is the main problem for the dogs is at CHF. Clearly the Dee's players were instructed to drag their defenders away from the centre square and that is the space Melbourne exploited.

3 blokes running flat out to CHF with only one defender coming in from half back are not going to be stopped.

It is also worth noting that the Dogs torched the Dees in the same manner in the 2nd and early 3rd quarter.

On my 4th rewatch now. Cracking game and the right result. I HATE the Bulldogs!!

You need to go on Hard Quiz about one of the grand finals you have obsessively rewatched!

He's so bloody impressive. He looks like a man among boys at times and he is the bloody young one.

Performance had shades of Naitanui about it. Not quite the same level in the ruck, but that pure athleticism and power when the ball hit the deck.

Jesus I didn't even watch Hawthorn flag replays 4 times in 48 hours.

I think I just carried on the tradition of watching the grand final x times from the 3peat era. My signature hasn't been updated in 2 years.... but granted I haven't really watched them 328947239032790 times in the last 2 years... every couple of months I'll throw a grand final on to remember the goods times. I don't always watch them in full, sometimes I'll put on a match (grand final or otherwise) as background noise while doing other tasks. Still a bit ridiculous I know, but hey people have strange habits... mine is foooooooooooooooooooooooooty :p

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Could have been a 4 time Champion.
He chose the wrong team.

Taken from Herald Sun - January 31, 2021

1632749789948.png

its a bit weird that a grand final decided by ten billion points was such an engrossing game

Absolutely. The final margin doesn't really do justice to how enthralling a game it was for a large majority. And even the onslaught was magnificent viewing in its own way.

57 years. You'd imagine they'd party all week.
Big candidates for a premiership hangover next year.

Not many, if any, teams break a flag drought and back it up the next year.
Swans the only team to come close in the last 20 years.

Back