Prediction 2021 GWS Board Mock AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 National Draft Selections

1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis (SA)
2. Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy (VM), matching a bid from GWS Giants
3. Collingwood - Nick Daicos (VM), matching a bid from GWS Giants
4. Hawthorn - Finn Callaghan (VM)
5. Gold Coast Suns - Josh Ward (VM)
6. Adelaide - Ben Hobbs (VC)
7. GWS Giants - Mac Andrew (VC) **plus Hawthorn's 2022 first round selection**
8. Fremantle - Neil Erasmus (WA)
9. Richmond - Josh Gibcus (VC)
10. Fremantle - Tyler Sonsie (VM)
11. St Kilda - Josh Rachele (VC)
12. West Coast Eagles - Matt Johnson (WA)
13. Essendon - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (SA)
14. Port Adelaide - Arlo Draper
15. GWS Giants - Jye Amiss (WA)
16. Brisbane Lions - Matt Roberts (SA)
17. Richmond - Josh Sinn (VM)
18. Sydney Swans - Campbell Chesser (VC)
19. Melbourne - Michito Owens (VM)
20. Brisbane Lions - Jacob Van Rooyen (WA)

21. Fremantle - Josh Goater (VM)
22. North Melbourne - Darcy Wilmot (VM)
23. Hawthorn - Jack Williams (WA)
24. Geelong Cats - Josh Browne (WA)
25. Hawthorn - Sam Butler (VC)
26. GWS - Josh Fahey (NSW), matching a bid from Carlton
27. Carlton - Zac Taylor (VM)
28. Richmond - Mitch Knevitt (VC)
29. Richmond - Leek Alleer (SA)
30. West Coast Eagles - Blake Howes (VM)
31. Geelong Cats - Rhett Bazzo (WA)
32. Sydney Swans - Judson Clarke (VC)
33. Geelong Cats - Corey Warner (WA)
34. Adelaide - Jesse Motlop (WA)
35. Geelong Cats - Toby Conway (VC)
36. West Coast Eagles - Angus Sheldrick (WA)
37. Melbourne - Tom Brown (VC)
38. Richmond - Connor Macdonald (VC)
39. Melbourne - Taj Woewodin (WA), matching a bid by Sydney Swans
40. Sydney Swans - Braden Andrews (VM)

41. Richmond - Cooper Murley (SA)
42. Brisbane Lions - Paul Curtis (VC)
43. North Melbourne - Lachlan Rankin (VM)
44. North Melbourne - Brady Hough (WA)
45. Geelong Cats - Lachie Paton (WA)
46. St Kilda - Marcus Windhager (VM), matching a bid by Essendon
47. Essendon - Blake Schlensog (WA)
48. Brisbane - pass due to list spots
49. Collingwood - Ned Long (VM)
50. Essendon - Jamieson Ballantyne (VC)
51. Melbourne - James Tunstill (WA)
52. Collingwood - James Willis (SA)
53. Hawthorn - Miller Bergman (VC)
54. Brisbane - pass due to list spots
55. Fremantle - Kade Dittmar (WA)
56. Port Adelaide - Charlie Dean (VFL)
57. Carlton - Sam Breuer (VC)
58. Hawthorn - Sam Banks (Tas)
59. Western Bulldogs - Charlie Molan (VC)
60. St Kilda - Hugh Stagg (SA)
61. Collingwood - Ronald Fejo jnr (NT)
62. St Kilda - Jake Soligo (VM)
63. Melbourne (*pick 44 remnant from matching Taj Woewodin) - pass due to list spots
64. West Coast Eagles - Morgan Ferres (SA)
65. Fremantle - pass, leaving a spot vacant on main list
66. Sydney Swans - Joshua Cripps (WA)
67. St Kilda (* pick 55 remnant from Marcus Windhager) - pass, leaving a spot vacant on main list
68. Port Adelaide - Jase Burgoyne (SA), matching a bid by North Melbourne
69. North Melbourne - Anthony Caminiti (VM)
70. Port Adelaide - pass, leaving a spot vacant on main list
71. Adelaide - Arthur Jones (WA)

Expended picks moved to the back of the draft:
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs
Collingwood
Collingwood
GWS Giants

Selectors:

Adelaide - Andre the Giant
Brisbane - JC100
Carlton - Determinant
Collingwood - Giant Strides
Essendon - fridgeman
Fremantle - GWS Goose
Geelong - Orange crush
Gold Coast - GWS Goose
GWS - JC100
Hawthorn - Danny88
Melbourne - PMBangers
North Melbourne - PMBangers
Port Adelaide - fridgeman
Richmond - Andre the Giant
St Kilda - Determinant
Sydney - Danny88
West Coast - Orange crush
Western Bulldogs - Giant Strides

Last edited:

Not sure about that. Turning pick 2 (4) into pick pick 7 & pick 1 seems like a good trade to me 🤞
I presume that Andre meant that for Danny being the Hawks' selector; potentially doing a Ned Guy with the trade!

If we have red flags on Finn Callaghan and would prefer Mac Andrew, then it's a great trade for GWS: getting the kid we want this year and a (hopefully) early round 1 pick in 2022!

Well clearly we will get back into the first round next year by offloading Mitchell and JOM so I’m not worried 😉

The hawks will be selecting Finn Callaghan at pick 4

4. Finn Callaghan (Sandringham Dragons)

One recruiter said there’s “a bit of Bontempelli” about the way Callaghan moves in and out of stoppages. At 189cm, Callaghan is a great size for the modern-day midfielder with terrific kicking skills, while he also has great poise, both in tight and in space, to help him break lines. He really separated himself from the pack in his last three matches as a more permanent midfielder, averaging 30.0 disposals, 4.7 clearances and 5.3 score involvements. He rounds off the ‘fab four’

Despite all the media discussion predicting the Sun's to choose a tall. I think that the return of Chol and the return of Witts helps to correct that weakness.
I ve opted for Josh Ward.
A balanced mid who is valuable on the inside and outside serves to strengthen the mid field group and improve his flexibility.
I think Ward is the best versatile mid remaining.

Ok so I’m slightly annoyed Ward is off the board as he would have been my guy after Callaghan was snapped up …..but I’ve picked up the pieces.

I’m thinking we’ve just taken a tall back recently in McAsey who’s a slow burn but will be my Talia replacement therefore I rule out Gibcus.

Andrew is tempting but this list has more holes in it than swiss cheese so I can’t speculate too much on a string bean that could take 3 years.

The talk is the talls are stacked next year and my local lads aren’t right at the pointy end so I’m going to take the contested bull Ben Hobbs and hope he is my Jacob Hopper style replacement for Rory Sloane. Yes I wish he was a yard quicker as speed kills but ultimately you still need hard heads to find the ball and deliver it to the pretty boys!

Ben Hobbs
Midfielder
183cm/80kg
16/9/03
Greater Western Victoria Rebels/Vic Country

A hard-headed inside midfield option who just kept on putting strong performances on the board. Hobbs overcame an ankle injury early in the year to then go on a ball-winning blitz that catapulted him into top-10 calculations. Hobbs is strongly built and plays with an intensity not matched by many midfielders in the top rungs of the draft. He was Vic Country's best player against Vic Metro when he had 25 disposals, seven clearances and 11 tackles and he averaged 30 disposals in his five completed NAB League games.

JC100 you are up son, don’t screw this up 🤣

Pick 7: Mac Andrew
Best position: Ruck
Height, weight: 200cm, 70kg

Rationale - Expert: What is breathtaking with Andrew is how high he leaps at centre bounces, often getting his waist above the head of rival rucks when he gets a clear jump at the ball.
My rationale: When the pies gift you pick 2, you take the generational match winning ruckman and swindle the hawks for a future pick 1 whilst making the dogs/pies pay full tote on their father sons 😂😂😂😂

GWS Goose

Pick 7: Mac Andrew
Best position: Ruck
Height, weight: 200cm, 70kg

Rationale - Expert: What is breathtaking with Andrew is how high he leaps at centre bounces, often getting his waist above the head of rival rucks when he gets a clear jump at the ball.
My rationale: When the pies gift you pick 2, you take the generational match winning ruckman and swindle the hawks for a future pick 1 whilst making the dogs/pies pay full tote on their father sons 😂😂😂😂

GWS Goose
If we take Mac and get a a first few picks selection for next year I'll be ok. I'll be filthy if we take him with 2.
Anyhow back to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle select Neil Erasmus.
I think Fremantle have a lot of pieces to be a very good side.
I think they miss a bit of silk.
Erasmus brings that, athletic and classy and home grown.
I suspect Freo will probably make the same choice.

If we take Mac and get a a first few picks selection for next year I'll be ok. I'll be filthy if we take him with 2.
Anyhow back to the draft.
Agreed - I think the team that is most likely to put up something that we are happy to trade back with is the suns. Jam packed list so need quality over quantity so might be tempted to trade 21 + 22 first for 2 and I don’t think a 2 spot drop would mean we miss Mac. If we missed Mac, Gibcus or Callaghan would still be available.

After looking very closely at Josh Rachele for this spot we end up addressing the age in the key defender position and take the best KPD in the pool in Josh Gibcus.

With Rance gone, and Grimes getting on we have the stop gap of Tarrant to get through the next couple of years whilst Gibcus puts some muscle on his wiry frame.

The high leaping intercepting machine should end up a star of the competition.

Josh Gibcus
Key defender
195cm/84kg
4/4/03
Greater Western Victoria Rebels/Vic Country

A leading key defender in this year's pool, Gibcus is an aerial threat who enjoys jumping in and chopping off marks. He doesn't get many goals kicked on him and is also capable of starting an offensive chain with his marking. Some clubs see him as a top-10 talent given the difficulty of finding tall defenders within this group.

GWS Goose you are up!

Last edited:
Back to me.
Again I'm going to go a different direction to a lot of media reports. Most have Freo going a tall forward at this point.
As per my last post, I reckon Fremantle have a good emerging list and I m looking to add some silk.
I'm going with Tyler Sonsie (Id be happy if we grabbed him with 13 in the draft proper)
Looks skilful and talented, the knock on work rate is fixable, he has gifts you can't teach.

I'm a little surprised this guy is still here, whilst I think the saints need this type of player it could be argued other positions may be a clearer need.
But I'm a huge believer in using first round picks on the best available player, so

Saints welcome Josh Rachele

Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country | Forward/Midfielder
11/04/2003 | 180cm | 78kg
September Ranking: #12

Snapshot:

A mercurial forward who has drawn comparisons to GWS star Toby Greene, Rachele has unbelievable smarts, skills, and a keen eye for goal. Rachele is rightly a standout among his draft class, having taken out the Under 16 Division 1 MVP award for Vic Country in 2019. He quickly went on to represent the Murray Bushrangers, averaging a tick under 18 disposals and two goals in four games as a 16-year-old. The exciting forward hails from an elite soccer background and has quick feet to show for it, as well as the smiling celebrations you’d expect on the end of well-finished goals. Rachele is lauded for his skills and smarts in the forward half, but has shown an aptitude for midfield work with his turn of speed and ability to find the ball at ground level. He’s capable of highlight-reel moments.

Last month:

Given his tendency for the spectacular, Rachele could have been one to really push his case for top 10 status with a bit more game time, though he may well be in that kind of contention as the leading small forward of this year’s crop. He is also one who should produce some handy combine testing results.
Draft Central

Orange crush

Talked about as the best kick in the draft and maybe a small reach but he should be a classy mid in a couple of years

-Nasiah-Wanganeen-Milera
Midfielder
187cm/69kg
22/2/03
Glenelg/South Australia
Wanganeen-Milera's dazzling foot skills have seen him rocket into top-10 contention late in the campaign. The nephew of Port Adelaide and Essendon champion Gavin was a standout in SA's first game against Western Australia with a poised showing and again had some strong moments in last week's curtain-raiser with 15 disposals and four inside-50s against WA. Clubs view him as the best kick in the draft and the wingman can certainly deliver it on a platter to his forwards.

Local pick up and can add to the rotation of forward mids on the list and over time spend more time on ball

Arlo Draper
Best position:
Utility
Height, weight: 185cm, 71kg
Recruited from: South Adelaide
Projected draft range: 5-25
Plays like: Robbie Gray
September ranking: 10
Rationale: With his mix of contested ball winning, classy ball use, agility and strong marking, Draper is one of this draft's more appealing and versatile prospects. While Draper's season unfortunately has ended due to a shoulder injury during South Australia's second clash against Western Australia, his drop can be attributed to the rise of others.
Strengths:
Contested ball winning
Tackling
Stoppage craft
Composure in traffic
Decision making with ball in hand
Clean hands
Vision
Locating and hitting targets by foot in the corridor
Lowers his eyes for kicks inside 50m
Overhead marking
Contested marking
Agility
Evasion
Acceleration
Takes on the game with his run
Versatility to play midfield, forward or in defence
Scoreboard impact
Weaknesses:
Strength
Lack of outside accumulation
Injury prone

JC100

Jye Amiss
Best position:
Key Forward
Height, weight: 195cm, 83kg

Rationale: Has this year become the dominant goalkicker in the junior ranks, kicking a WAFL Colts competition high 51 goals from his 15 games and the highest across any of the junior competitions.

Genuine goalkicking key forward - too good to refuse at 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back