Prediction 2021 GWS Board Mock AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 National Draft Selections

1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis (SA)
2. Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy (VM), matching a bid from GWS Giants
3. Collingwood - Nick Daicos (VM), matching a bid from GWS Giants
4. Hawthorn - Finn Callaghan (VM)
5. Gold Coast Suns - Josh Ward (VM)
6. Adelaide - Ben Hobbs (VC)
7. GWS Giants - Mac Andrew (VC) **plus Hawthorn's 2022 first round selection**
8. Fremantle - Neil Erasmus (WA)
9. Richmond - Josh Gibcus (VC)
10. Fremantle - Tyler Sonsie (VM)
11. St Kilda - Josh Rachele (VC)
12. West Coast Eagles - Matt Johnson (WA)
13. Essendon - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (SA)
14. Port Adelaide - Arlo Draper
15. GWS Giants - Jye Amiss (WA)
16. Brisbane Lions - Matt Roberts (SA)
17. Richmond - Josh Sinn (VM)
18. Sydney Swans - Campbell Chesser (VC)
19. Melbourne - Michito Owens (VM)
20. Brisbane Lions - Jacob Van Rooyen (WA)

21. Fremantle - Josh Goater (VM)
22. North Melbourne - Darcy Wilmot (VM)
23. Hawthorn - Jack Williams (WA)
24. Geelong Cats - Josh Browne (WA)
25. Hawthorn - Sam Butler (VC)
26. GWS - Josh Fahey (NSW), matching a bid from Carlton
27. Carlton - Zac Taylor (VM)
28. Richmond - Mitch Knevitt (VC)
29. Richmond - Leek Alleer (SA)
30. West Coast Eagles - Blake Howes (VM)
31. Geelong Cats - Rhett Bazzo (WA)
32. Sydney Swans - Judson Clarke (VC)
33. Geelong Cats - Corey Warner (WA)
34. Adelaide - Jesse Motlop (WA)
35. Geelong Cats - Toby Conway (VC)
36. West Coast Eagles - Angus Sheldrick (WA)
37. Melbourne - Tom Brown (VC)
38. Richmond - Connor Macdonald (VC)
39. Melbourne - Taj Woewodin (WA), matching a bid by Sydney Swans
40. Sydney Swans - Braden Andrews (VM)

41. Richmond - Cooper Murley (SA)
42. Brisbane Lions - Paul Curtis (VC)
43. North Melbourne - Lachlan Rankin (VM)
44. North Melbourne - Brady Hough (WA)
45. Geelong Cats - Lachie Paton (WA)
46. St Kilda - Marcus Windhager (VM), matching a bid by Essendon
47. Essendon - Blake Schlensog (WA)
48. Brisbane - pass due to list spots
49. Collingwood - Ned Long (VM)
50. Essendon - Jamieson Ballantyne (VC)
51. Melbourne - James Tunstill (WA)
52. Collingwood - James Willis (SA)
53. Hawthorn - Miller Bergman (VC)
54. Brisbane - pass due to list spots
55. Fremantle - Kade Dittmar (WA)
56. Port Adelaide - Charlie Dean (VFL)
57. Carlton - Sam Breuer (VC)
58. Hawthorn - Sam Banks (Tas)
59. Western Bulldogs - Charlie Molan (VC)
60. St Kilda - Hugh Stagg (SA)
61. Collingwood - Ronald Fejo jnr (NT)
62. St Kilda - Jake Soligo (VM)
63. Melbourne (*pick 44 remnant from matching Taj Woewodin) - pass due to list spots
64. West Coast Eagles - Morgan Ferres (SA)
65. Fremantle - pass, leaving a spot vacant on main list
66. Sydney Swans - Joshua Cripps (WA)
67. St Kilda (* pick 55 remnant from Marcus Windhager) - pass, leaving a spot vacant on main list
68. Port Adelaide - Jase Burgoyne (SA), matching a bid by North Melbourne
69. North Melbourne - Anthony Caminiti (VM)
70. Port Adelaide - pass, leaving a spot vacant on main list
71. Adelaide - Arthur Jones (WA)

Expended picks moved to the back of the draft:
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs
Collingwood
Collingwood
GWS Giants

Selectors:

Adelaide - Andre the Giant
Brisbane - JC100
Carlton - Determinant
Collingwood - Giant Strides
Essendon - fridgeman
Fremantle - GWS Goose
Geelong - Orange crush
Gold Coast - GWS Goose
GWS - JC100
Hawthorn - Danny88
Melbourne - PMBangers
North Melbourne - PMBangers
Port Adelaide - fridgeman
Richmond - Andre the Giant
St Kilda - Determinant
Sydney - Danny88
West Coast - Orange crush
Western Bulldogs - Giant Strides

Last edited:
Swans will look at a utility type

Blake Howes
Sandringham Dragons, NAB League / Parkdale FC / St. Bede's
State: Victoria (Metro)
Height: 190cm
Weight: 79kg
Date of Birth: 07/04/03

Medium forward who also has shown the versatility to adapt well to playing on the wing this year, using his lively speed and thrilling marking to great effect. An innate ability around goals adds to his armory - he played for both the Australian Under-18s and Victorian Metro Under-19s in representative matches this year, giving encouraging glimpses of his potential. Has Jack Gunston traits as a lead-up forward and this year played seven matches for the Sandringham Dragons, averaging 15.7 disposals and a goal a game to earn 'Team of the Year' honours for his overall performances.

I think I took this guy already

Swans will look at a utility type

Blake Howes
Sandringham Dragons, NAB League / Parkdale FC / St. Bede's
State: Victoria (Metro)
Height: 190cm
Weight: 79kg
Date of Birth: 07/04/03

Medium forward who also has shown the versatility to adapt well to playing on the wing this year, using his lively speed and thrilling marking to great effect. An innate ability around goals adds to his armory - he played for both the Australian Under-18s and Victorian Metro Under-19s in representative matches this year, giving encouraging glimpses of his potential. Has Jack Gunston traits as a lead-up forward and this year played seven matches for the Sandringham Dragons, averaging 15.7 disposals and a goal a game to earn 'Team of the Year' honours for his overall performances.
Pretty sure he went in the 20's

Next time we do this let’s set up a WhatsApp group and send selections and prompts there. This is like pulling teeth. Maybe we can do one the week of the draft?
It's always dependent on how busy - and of course how engaged in the first place - the participants are. Plus, with live trades and bid matching (points & pick shuffles to determine), someone's got to be on hand constantly to manage. So I don't mind the slower pace. And there was plenty of time to fill in.

There's been a few more picks change hands, with more able to be done until 15th November. Plus the DFA windows.

If you want to do another one and get a WhatsApp group going, that's fine - I'm happy to let you lead. I'd suggest waiting until after 15th November so it's a finalised 100% correct & known pick order. That's still 8 days to get it done.

It's always dependent on how busy - and of course how engaged in the first place - the participants are. Plus, with live trades and bid matching (points & pick shuffles to determine), someone's got to be on hand constantly to manage. So I don't mind the slower pace. And there was plenty of time to fill in.

There's been a few more picks change hands, with more able to be done until 15th November. Plus the DFA windows.

If you want to do another one and get a WhatsApp group going, that's fine - I'm happy to let you lead. I'd suggest waiting until after 15th November so it's a finalised 100% correct & known pick order. That's still 8 days to get it done.

You’ve done a super job with this mate, good fun. All good 👍

Apologies

Ill have a bit of a left field option and bag another tall

Josh Cripps

The 199cm forward-ruck has pushed into draft calculations after returning from a 2020 ACL rupture in June this year.

In the final under-19 state game of the season, he had 14 disposals and 14 hitouts to help Western Australia to a 10-point win over South Australia. He also kicked 16 goals in 12 games for East Fremantle at Colts level, averaging 15.6 disposals.

Determinant you're back up for St Kilda. By my reckoning, they still have 1 more spot on their main list that they need to fill - although they could pick up someone in the PSD or PSSP - so they might use this pick.
I think it's likely the saints will not use this pick, and use the last list spot for a DFA or keep if for one of the subsiduary drafts, so Saints pass.

In that case North Melbourne will select a KPF development project in Anthony Caminiti, didn't play too much NAB League this year but made the APS team of the season for his work with Carey, really solid athletically, strong mark and clean at ground level, has all the tools to become a really good 2nd/3rd tall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next time we do this let’s set up a WhatsApp group and send selections and prompts there. This is like pulling teeth. Maybe we can do one the week of the draft?

It hasn't been all that bad tbh, they always loser momentum towards the end of the drafts

Selection 71 - (Mr Irrelevant) Adelaide - Arthur Jones

Arthur Jones - Forward/Wing - 178cm/60kg - Claremont / Western Australia

Arthur is the nephew of North Melbourne champions Jimmy and Phil Krakouer.

Jones is an excitement machine who has great mix of speed, endurance and provides plenty of defensive pressure.

Averaging 22 disposals, five inside 50s, four clearances, four tackles and 0.5 goals at PSA level, the exciting Jones announced himself on Grand Final day where he amassed 16 disposals, six inside-50s and kicked a couple of classy goals in WA’s national under-19s carnival victory over South Australia at Optus Stadium.

Adelaide who are still reeling from the loss of Charlie Cameron grab one of the most dynamic x-factor players in the pool.

Very light, Jones will need to put on some weight but if he can do this he can be a real point of difference players that can give this team something it hasn’t got.

Bound to be a crowd favourite in time.

Selection 71 - (Mr Irrelevant) Adelaide - Arthur Jones

Arthur Jones - Forward/Wing - 178cm/60kg - Claremont / Western Australia

Arthur is the nephew of North Melbourne champions Jimmy and Phil Krakouer.

Jones is an excitement machine who has great mix of speed, endurance and provides plenty of defensive pressure.

Bound to be a crowd favourite in time.
Very nice

OK, that's it folks. I don't think we need to labour the point with late Bulldogs selections etc.

Hope you all had fun, and it made you think about what might happen for real in the ND.

If all the selectors would like to do a snapshot of each team's selections, and beat their chest about how good they're going to be next year or in a few year's time, that's probably a useful culmination of this mock draft.

Collingwood draft summary.

So, Pies went into the draft having gained Patrick Lipinksi and Nathan Kreuger - both great fits for their list - while having farewelled 8 players: Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood, Josh Thomas (all retired), Anton Tohill (returned to Ireland), Jay Rantall, Brayden Sier (delisted), Max Lynch (traded) and Isaac Chugg (delisted but to be re-selected in the rookie draft).

That left us with 31 main list players, 5 Cat A rookies, 2 Cat B rookies - albeit with a commitment to select Chugg as the sixth Cat A. Six list spots and six picks (remembering we ran our mock draft before Pies last pick swap for #27); but only looking at a maximum of five selections (and more likely just four selections, leaving one free).

Matching for Nick Daicos was always a no-brainer, we were lucky that it came at #3 rather than #1 or #2, so we saved some selections for earlier in the night than we might have thought. Daicos will probably start either forward or on a wing, but certainly build to become an inside midfielder in the long term for Pies. Our first live selection, Northern Knights tall, big-bodied midfielder Ned Long is an exciting pick up. Definitely rated him higher - a powerful runner who can hit the scoreboard, and it's probably only his injury that saw him a bit ''out of sight, out of mind'' to slip down this far. A strong chance to crack the first grade team early in the year with his attributes. Our second selection, North Adelaide's James Willis, is another whose season was affected by injury, and probably allowed him to drop down the draft order to us. If he can shake his injuries, then Willis could become an outstanding prospect for the team, with his positional versatility, and boasting an impressive combination of speed, power and explosiveness. I can see him taking over Sidey's wing position in the longer term, could potentially push WHE out of his HFF role, or indeed take up a HBF position. But I think wing would be the best position for him overall. Pies' fourth selection was certainly more speculative, in NT's Ronald Fejo jnr, an agile and elusive runner who would look to develop as a winger or small forward.

I would add, that had the draft gone to the end, and he was still there with our next pick, I would have looked to add a fifth draftee in GWV Rebels' Kai Lohmann. A 185cm medium forward who is an elite athlete with a combination of speed, evasion and vertical leap, making him a damaging forward who is clean overhead and can also get things done at ground level. While he has some areas of his game that he needs to improve, at that point of the draft he would be a steal.

So, between trade and draft, Pies have addressed all their areas of need - it just remains to be seen how well they can succeed. I'm particularly excited about the range and quality of midfielders that were able to be selected; the last two years have hidden away some guys and I'd be hoping these were some who can break out in future. Given the draft hand I had to play with, I think that Daicos, Long, Willis & Fejo jnr is an excellent result.

Bulldogs draft summary.

The Dogs went into the draft having lost six players: delisting two (Ben Cavarra & Will Hayes), two retiring (Lin Jong & Easton Wood), and two players traded out (Patrick Lipinski & Lewis Young) ; while replacing one (Tim O'Brien).

That left 32 main list positions, 5 Cat A rookies and 1 Cat B rookie, for a total of 5 main/total spots and 5 picks.

Matching for Sam Darcy was a no-brainer. Whether he becomes a forward, a back or a ruck, he will add quality to the Bulldogs line-up. The bid coming at #2 was unwelcome, as it forced a significant loss of the mid-draft picks stored up. That left the first live selection at #59, but I really didn't want to dip into any 2022 selections to trade into this year's draft. I'd expect to take one (maybe two, depending on who's left) extra late ND selection, then top up with 1 PSD or PSSP selection and a couple of rookies, where again we might look at experienced VFL players. The first live selection was for GWV's Charlie Molan, a 186 cm utility. While not planning to directly replace the retired Easton Wood, Molan is a guy I can see doing that. Molan is not a ''sexy'' player, in terms of how draft watchers like to assess players, but he is “arguably the most well-balanced player in terms of footballing traits, Molan puts out consistent four-quarter efforts and can play anywhere on the field, making him the most versatile player going around.”

So, who else would I have looked for in the later stages of this ND? Definitely would have been looking for an inside/outside midfielder to be backup to the strong talent already in the squad, and a small/medium forward or mid-forward. Therefore, I would definitely have considered from the guys remaining:

Hugh Jackson (SA) - 181 cm / 70 kg balanced midfielder

"A natural accumulator of the football, Jackson wins possession both inside and outside the contest and consistently distributes to teammates in space.”

Hugh Jackson was the premier ball winner in the SANFL U18s competition this year, averaging 34 disposals across his first 11 games, before a quieter end to the year saw his season average drop a fraction below 30 per game. He collected a season-best 41 disposals against eventual premier Woodville-West Torrens, only to match it just three weeks later with another 41 possessions and 12 clearances, in a best on ground display. His early season form was rewarded with selection in South Australia’s U19s squad where he has featured in representative games against Western Australia and the Allies. A late season debut for North Adelaide in the SANFL Reserves and an invite to the National Draft Combine capped off a successful year for Jackson, whose body of work has propelled him into draft calculations.

Isaac Birt (SA) - 182 cm / 71 kg outside midfielder

“Birt is a clean-kicking wingman with some eye-catching traits who threw his name into draft calculations with a strong season at South Adelaide.”

In 16 U18 matches, Birt averaged 20.6 disposals, 6.8 marks and 5.1 clearances per game, and his match-winning performance against Norwood earned him player of the round honours. Birt willed his team over the line away from home with a dominant final term, finishing the day with 31 disposals, two goals, 11 marks (three contested), five tackles, eight inside 50s and a nine-point victory. Birt’s season didn’t go unnoticed by the state selectors, who named him in the U19 side to take on Western Australia in the first match between the two states out west. The consistent wingman was also rewarded for his encouraging season at Noarlunga with a Reserves debut in Round 18, where he collected 11 disposals and took six marks.

Tyreece Leiu (Eastern Ranges) - 194 cm / 93 kg inside midfielder/defender

“A strong-bodied inside midfielder capable of providing marking presence at either end of the ground, with sound reading of the play and clean hands.”

Tyreece Leiu has long been one of the more well known Eastern-based prospects, forming a promising partnership with regional teammates Tyler Sonsie and Jake Soligo from U16 level until now. He started season 2021 alongside said pair at the centre bounces, rotating forward as usual before finding an unlikely home in defence, where his intercept ability was unearthed. With all three lines covered across his junior career, the big bodied 18-year-old is a versatile talent who provides strength at the contest and has adjusted well to different roles thus far. Having been part of Vic Metro’s undefeated U16 side, he was set to done the Big V again this year but missed due to injury.

Kai Lohmann (GWV Rebels) - 185cm / 76 kg medium forward

“An elite athlete who has a combination of speed, evasion and vertical leap, making him a damaging forward who is clean overhead and can also get things done at ground level.”

Kai Lohmann is an exciting talent out of the Greater Western Victoria (GWV) Rebels who has come on in leaps and bounds this year. The athletic talent can do some serious damage with ball in hand, and is clean in the air and at the coalface. He does have areas to improve such as his off-ball work and accumulation, but his overall potential is quite high and could be one of the bolters in the draft.

Bulldogs reached the GF this season, and don't have too many gaping holes that need filling. Natural improvement in some areas, and finding a consistent ruck solution will go a fair way towards being able to take that next step. JUH last year and Sam Darcy this year have gifted Bulldogs the opportunity to fill some holes; the other ND selections are really about finding adequate backup players, and if we can, finding a diamond in the rough (i.e. the late picks of the draft). Darcy, Molan and one or two of those outlined above will tick that box this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back