MVP 2021 GWS Most Valuable Player (MVP) Master Thread

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We're going to go with the same voting system for our GWS BigFooty Board MVP as the last three years, which I think has worked well.

Posters will have a total of 15 points per game to award to players as they see fit, with a maximum of 5 points per player. That still allows you to award the standard 5,4,3,2,1 but flexibility to award differently if your assessment of players' performance is different.

For example:
- if 3 players perform equally well, you may choose to award each player 5 points (15 points total)
- if there's one standout well ahead of others, 3 moderately good players, you may choose to award a 5, three 3s & a 1 (15 points total)
- if everyone plays poorly in a loss, you may choose to give 1 point to fifteen different players (15 points total).
- if we have a bad game, and people don't want to give full points totaling 100, then you may award less than a total of 15 votes and say that's all you want to award, in which case the total points awarded to players will be less than the full 100.

After everyone has voted, I'll total the votes and work out a percentage to award MVP points out of 100 each week.

As usual, each round will have its own thread, and once each round is finalised, this thread will record the running total.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Progress after Round 1 - GWS v St Kilda:

2021 GWS MVP - Progress Rd1.PNG

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I think your most valuable player is Toby Greene and then Josh Kelly.

Its all based on last weekend.

Last weekend was the first time it looked like the players played like they belonged to a football club as a group and were part of something meaningful together and they were happy. Really happy. They no longer looked like they where just hashed together. There was a connection within the onfield playing group.

Toby is a real spark and ignitor. Its the intangibles that are undervalued sometimes and the mental side is very important and Toby offers the imagination to install hope to help the players dare to succeed and grow.
What was telling was Toby celebrating with meaning at the end with his teammates and the smile on Kelly's face at the end of the game, It looked like the club has found its dna and identity. I think with these two leading the ship players leaving will prove less frequent especially the youngsters.

I noticed Bobby Hill has improved as well and I think this may be a barometer of the club finding its soul with the players and a signal of real growth within the playing group coming together as a proper team.

The win last weekend was the most significant of the club in its history by far in my opinion

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Round 17 progress - Ash drops out of the top 6 as Sam Taylor returns after his multiple weeks out injured; Tom Green will likely surpass Ash too:

2021 GWS MVP Prog Rd 17.PNG

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Round 18 and Jacob Hopper is coming hard; Sam Taylor climbing the leaderboard:

2021 GWS MVP Prog Rd 18.PNG

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I've held off on revealing any more of the MVP scores to see when our Kevin Sheedy Medal night was going to be held. While I still haven't seen a confirmed date, I suspect it's going to be next week (perhaps Friday or Saturday night?) so I'll work through the reveals during this week.

P.S. My computer melted down a couple of weeks ago and I didn't have an independently saved spreadsheet, so the progress scores picks up from round 18.

To start, today I'm going to reveal the finalised votes/points for the last few H&A season games - but not all of the progress scores, yet. I'll reveal those, the finals voting and progress during the week.

Round 19:

Lachie Whitfield a clear MVG, with Sam Taylor & Tom Green duelling it out for the minor podium places.

Capture - GWS MVP 2021 Rd19.PNG

Round 20:

Mixed voting after the loss to Port, Hopper, Kelly & Haynes all received good votes, while Peatling debuted with a fourth placing in this round's voting.

Capture - GWS MVP 2021 Rd20.PNG

Round 21:

Sam Taylor was a unanimous MVG with his whitewash on Tom Hawkins, while Toby, Cumming & TT also scored well.

Capture - GWS MVP 2021 Rd21.PNG

Round 22:

Kelly was the unanimous MVG in the win against the Tiges; TT unanimously second best, while Hopper & Cumming couldn't be split for third.

Capture - GWS MVP 2021 Rd22.PNG

Round 23:

Veteran Callan Ward was the unanimous MVG in a tight final round tussle against the Blues, with Taylor, Cumming & Hopper polling well also. A very tight voting group with just the 6 players garnering all of the votes. Some familiar names have been cropping up in the last few rounds!

Capture - GWS MVP 2021 Rd23.PNG

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
OK, just heard that KSM night is this Thursday. So, time for some more reveals from the BF GWS Board MVG!

Progress score after round 21:

Toby fights back in second position (but we know the ending to that fairytale, don't we? Straight out of the Grimm Brothers!) ANd the late Sam Taylor rush continues.

Capture - GWS MVP 2021 Progress Rd21.PNG

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Progress score after round 22:

Hopper soldiers on, Kelly's not done yet & jumps 2 places, and Isaac Cumming has a purple (well, yellow in our voting!) patch these last 2 rounds:

Capture - GWS mVP 2021 Progress Rd22.PNG

Back