T20I 2021 ICC Men's T20 World Cup - Non-Australia games

Remove this Banner Ad

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Looks like it will start on the 17th of October, 2 days after the IPL final. Talk about a squeeze.

Possible Schedule:

Last edited:
Bring it on! The WT20 is just about the only time I pay attention to T20 cricket.

Looks like it will start on the 17th of October, 2 days after the IPL final. Talk about a squeeze.

16 teams competing, Oman the newest team.

Possible Schedule:

It looks a tight squeeze but the only IPL players who will play in the first week of the T20 World Cup are Shakib Al Hasan and Mustafizur Rahman (both Bangladesh) as the rest of the players play for nations that are through to the 2nd group stage automatically which doesn't start until 24th October.

Also Oman actually qualified for the last T20 World Cup in 2016. Namibia and PNG are the teams making their first appearance at a T20 World Cup. Namibia have qualified for a ODI World Cup back in 2003 but this will be PNG's first Cricket World Cup appearance.

It looks a tight squeeze but the only IPL players who will play in the first week of the T20 World Cup are Shakib Al Hasan and Mustafizur Rahman (both Bangladesh) as the rest of the players play for nations that are through to the 2nd group stage automatically which doesn't start until 24th October.
I know, it's still a pretty quick turnaround. Will the non-Indian IPL international players pull out early, say before the finals?

My bad on Oman, forgot about that.

Still not quite sure why no where else was considered, seeing as UAE isn't even competing, they might not have crowds there and do UAE people even follow cricket?

Oman would be interesting though, could really grow the game there especially if Oman progress through to the super12s.

Also surely they can play some IPL games at lower standard grounds in UAE and try to preserve the two main ones at Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I think there are many grounds in Dubai not sure what the infrastructure is like though.

Last edited:
Still not quite sure why no where else was considered, seeing as UAE isn't even competing, they might not have crowds there and do UAE people even follow cricket?

Oman would be interesting though, could really grow the game there especially if Oman progress through to the super12s.

Also surely they can play some IPL games at lower standard grounds in UAE and try to preserve the two main ones at Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I think there are many grounds in Dubai not sure what the infrastructure is like though.
3 main reasons would logistics, time difference to India, tax.

Logistics being that the BCCI will still be running the event and all their logistics people will already be working on the IPL in the UAE. In addition most of the people who work for the ICC are already in Dubai. Running an event like this takes a huge amounts of planning which I think people always underestimate so anything they can do to make it run as smooth as possible will be favoured.

Time difference to India allows TV revenue to still be high if they can play it at good times for the Indian market. It's almost an advantage that very few people in the UAE follow cricket (although there are a lot of expats) in that there's is less blowback if they play at inconvenient times for a crowd.

Tax will be one that is extremely difficult to get our heads around as no one is going to be that interested/understand this side but it seems to be a huge deal for the ICC and their ability to make money from these events. At one point there were threats that the ICC was going to take away the Women's T20 from Australia as the Australian Gov't wasn't going to give the ICC a tax exemption (which they eventually gave them as part of the 2018 budget). Same thing with this T20 World Cup in that the ICC were threatening to take away the World Cup from India if they weren't given an exemption.

I think I've seen enough now to make a squad of 18 to take over
1. D.Warner (Bat)
2. A.Finche (Bat)
3. M.Marsh (AR)
4. J.Inglis (WK)
5. G.Maxwell (Bat-AR)
6. J.Silk (Bat)
7. D.Christian (Bowl-AR)
8. N.Coulter Nile (Bowl-AR)
9. M.Starc (Bowl)
10. J.Richardson (Bowl)
11. A.Zampa (Bowl)

12. D.Short [Opening depth]
13. C.Lynn [Midde Order depth]
14. M.Wade [Competition for Inglis]
15. D.Sams [Competition with Coulter-Nile & Christian for that Lower Order pace bowler, hitter combo]
16. A.Tye [1st choice Pace Depth]
17. K.Richardson [2nd choice pace depth]
18. A.Agar [Spin Depth]

Rough outline of the 18 players, could change if we want to bat deeper.

I'm electing not to send Henriques, Carey, Swepson, Smith, Labuschagne, Hazlewood & Cummins as I feel they aren't a necessity and would rather have all 6 home ready for the Ashes and playing shield cricket as I see them as both not important enough pieces like Warner & Starc (both of which have question marks for the test team although, Warner will play at the GABBA to start the summer) to warrant being selected and would rather all 7 focus on the ashes.

Jordan Silk - We seem to love picking openers in the big bash and batting them at 5 and 6. Why not pick a middle order batsman who is possibly the best catching fielder in the world who averaged 38 at a strike rate of 144.

Dan Christian & Nathan Coulter-Nile: These 2 will be our number 7. I've elected to stick with Christian as I thought he played really well in the 4th T20 against the West Indies and had a great big bash season. I feel Nathan Coulter-Nile is consistently overlooked in the shorter format. He avraged 15 at an economy of under 8. The only pace bowler in the big bash who was comparable last season was Jhye Richardson.

Josh Inglis: Killed it in the big bash last season averaging more than Philippe and performing in county cricket. I feel he is still a summer away from the test team as he is probably currently our 3rd choice keeper in the Test Format so won't be needed for his test services.

Chris Lynn: Averaged 35 at a strike rate of 150. I know he has struggled at the top level before but Philippe & McDermott have not performed so I would rather give Lynn a go considering he outperformed both last big bash.

Edit: Dropping Philippe for Kane Richardson. I actually want Philippe to keep for WA in the long-format as I want to see how he goes in the longer format with some more game time. Richardson comes in as further bowling depth.

Last edited:
1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Smith
4. Labs
5. Maxwell
6. Marsh
7. Starc
8. Cummins
9. Zampa
10. Agar
11. Wade/Carey?
12. Stoinis?

Not in order, just listing the probable locks for the world t20 squad? IMO have both labs/smith in the squad as pretty much all batsmen bar Marsh have s**t the bed in the windies/bangladesh tour. I'd also take a punt on Josh Inglis since he's dominated t20 blast and bbl, plus wade/carey/phillipe/mcdermott have sucked.

Max 22 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that means we're looking at something like this as the XI:

Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell
M Marsh
Wade/Inglis
Agar/Stoinis
Cummins
Starc
H'wood/KRicho/Swepson
Zampa

Inglis !!!! Yes 👍🏼

best news in ages
Wade will be picked over him, will only be their as the back up as Philippe stunk s**t up in his last 10 or so games

I'd say winner of our game versus the Windies will go through, I think we're a fair chance
I think if all their players are firing weare going to get a whooping

Inglis over Wade every day of the week thanks. Doubt it'll happen.

Pretty happy with the squad, though I think Sams should have been a regular for some time tbh.
The sams that was cannon fodder going at 11.41 an over

Like the Inglis pick but could you argue that he benefited from not going on the Windies/Bangladesh tour where basically noone made runs?

You can't possibly give Wade the gloves when Inglis is in the touring party.
Absolutely. Players reputations are almost always enhanced by not playing international cricket.

Like the Inglis pick but could you argue that he benefited from not going on the Windies/Bangladesh tour where basically noone made runs?

You can't possibly give Wade the gloves when Inglis is in the touring party.

Better than picking Henriques at least

Remove this Banner Ad

Back