St Kilda
We are cursed.

jmEjcji.gif

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Ratten said today that we will get 2 back this week, 2 back next week, and then 1 back each week for 3 weeks.

A bit cryptic, and the genius journos didn't ask him to elaborate but I'm guessing:

this week: Marshall and Jones
next week: Ryder and Webster
then in some order: Frawley, Geary, Hannebery?

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Ratten said today that we will get 2 back this week, 2 back next week, and then 1 back each week for 3 weeks.

A bit cryptic, and the genius journos didn't ask him to elaborate but I'm guessing:

this week: Marshall and Jones
next week: Ryder and Webster
then in some order: Frawley, Geary, Hannebery?
Ratts probably being optimistic that Gears and Hanners will return.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
One can hope. It was the worst kept secret in footy Hanners was cooked, is an absolute fiend for the nose beers and Swans were desperate to separate him from Buddy.

One of the dumbest trades in Saints history this one.

How can a player who missed 7 games in 2 seasons be considered cooked?

Maybe if you say it often enough you believe it I suppose.

pluggeranddoc

All Australian
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yes missed 7 in 2 years , but how was the output in the games he played compared to previous?
Did he seem in great nick?
i would say between he and Sydney they nursed him to the line in his last year there, (they wanting him of the books and he wanting the $$ for years to come!).
The desperate fools we have in charge were only too happy to oblige, after all he was a former all Australian!

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes missed 7 in 2 years , but how was the output in the games he played compared to previous?
Did he seem in great nick?
i would say between he and Sydney they nursed him to the line in his last year there, (they wanting him of the books and he wanting the $$ for years to come!).
The desperate fools we have in charge were only too happy to oblige, after all he was a former all Australian!
At the time he was worth the risk because we couldn’t get anyone else. You have to remember we had the most vanilla side in the AFL at the time . Names like newnes , weller and Dunstan were being thrown around here as the next captain because we had Nobody.
I was on board with his recruitment but just wish it was for 3+1 not 4+1.
im not sure we were really in a great position to be patient and wait for someone else a year later .

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
At the time he was worth the risk because we couldn’t get anyone else. You have to remember we had the most vanilla side in the AFL at the time . Names like newnes , weller and Dunstan were being thrown around here as the next captain because we had Nobody.
I was on board with his recruitment but just wish it was for 3+1 not 4+1.
im not sure we were really in a great position to be patient and wait for someone else a year later .
So one thing that gets missed about this entire Hannerbury scenario - is that we needed to use the cap space.

we had already forward paid a few contracts and needed to use the 105% overpay that we had banked + we needed to meet the 95% floor which highlights that existing crap on our list would have been over paid.

has it worked onfield? No

did the strength and conditioning team back themselves to get it right? Yep, they are also renowned for being one of the better ones in the league.

that’s effectively the crux of the situation.

So one thing that gets missed about this entire Hannerbury scenario - is that we needed to use the cap space.

we had already forward paid a few contracts and needed to use the 105% overpay that we had banked + we needed to meet the 95% floor which highlights that existing crap on our list would have been over paid.

has it worked onfield? No

did the strength and conditioning team back themselves to get it right? Yep, they are also renowned for being one of the better ones in the league.

that’s effectively the crux of the situation.

They keep saying they are one of the best but do we have any actual evidence of it? He was cooked after 2016 and never really looked a strong chance to get right. We were desperate for a big signing and went all in on him. Looked desperate and probably was.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

I've heard this before, but I don't understand how anyone would really know who are the "better ones in the league".

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has anyone got any info on the Herald Sun article as to what our new approach to Hannebery will be?

St Kilda is set to change its approach to Daniel Hannebery’s persistent run of soft tissue injuries in a bid to return the midfielder to the game and extend his career.
The Saints on Friday admitted the former Swan was frustrated and hurt by his nightmare calf and hamstring problems which have dogged Hannebery again this season.

The premiership midfielder was brought to the club on a big money deal but the injury issues have limited Hannebery to only 13 games in three seasons.

While time is running out for Hannebery, St Kilda chief operating officer Simon Lethlean said the Saints have not given up faith of the 30-year-old having an impact in 2021.

The Saints are under pressure to lift against Port Adelaide on Sunday to avoid falling to 2-4 in a blow to their hopes of playing finals again this season.

Lethlean admitted the persistent injuries had taken a toll on Hannebery but the club was set to tweak its approach to his program to help get a better result.

“He is certainly very important when we get him out there, but that hasn’t been happening,” Lethlean said on SEN.

“That is a frustration for the club and it is a frustration for him and our fans.

“He is working his butt off and nothing is working for him right now, so it is disappointing for him and it hurts. It hurts him and we want him out there.

“But rest assured he is working harder than anyone and he is still a few weeks away.

“We are looking at how we can restructure his program.

“He has been having calf complaints on the back of not particularly intense work, so there is something else going on as compared to ripping soft tissue.

“So that’s a work in progress, it is very frustrating.”

Lethlean said Hannebery hasn’t been able to make the contribution he would have liked since departing the Swans.

“He hasn’t had the career he wanted at the Saints but I’m convinced if he can get himself back on track he can have a big impact,” he said.

“If it keeps being that he can’t play, time will start to burn out, but we are not looking at it that way.

“We expect him to get back in a few weeks’ time. It is not working at the moment, so it’s not ideal.”

They keep saying they are one of the best but do we have any actual evidence of it? He was cooked after 2016 and never really looked a strong chance to get right. We were desperate for a big signing and went all in on him. Looked desperate and probably was.
Didnt work out so good for Freezer , he came back slower than me

saintbill

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Did you watch any Sydney games that year?

He played, but his output was rubbish. Couldn't spread at all. A huge liability, and you are kidding yourself if you think Sydney were not desperate to move him on.

As for the off field stuff, you can choose to think it is b/s. I know for a fact it is not.

Back