Injury 2021 Injuries

People complain about Mumford but let’s be honest, it’s a contact sport. Rather than worrying about being bullied, we should draft some guys capable of throwing their weight around.

Im sick of seeing Swans teams get beaten up.
I saw a lot of comments on here about how rough Mumford played, but I thought he played like he has always played - he's a big, tough man and that's how he plays. He played far better than I thought he would on Saturday, looks in great shape.
And it really is over the top blaming him for Hickey's injury, it was an accidental knock as they both jumped, nothing more, nothing less, just bad luck.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
People complain about Mumford but let’s be honest, it’s a contact sport. Rather than worrying about being bullied, we should draft some guys capable of throwing their weight around.

That's just it!
You actually aren't supposed to get away with slinging arms & elbows back to make it look like it's incidental contact without giving away frees.
Pointless recruiting someone like that other than being tough at the footy like Parker.

With all due respect, that is a weird suggestion. For fifteen or so years we drafted guys who were tougher than they were anything else. It brought us some success, but it clearly didn't bring us much by way of speed or skill.

I'm quite happy with our current strategy of drafting fair, honest players, as long as they are capable. Ability always wins out.

Since Hall, none of our players have been thugs. (Jones was a faux toughie)

However we do need at least a few who fly the flag. McLean, McInerney and Mills (and even Blakey) do not mind stepping in when the other mob goes over the line. This is good. None are thugs but make it clear they will not put up with our younger players copping crap.

Swans premiership ruck who dished it out when with us. Can’t complain.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Since Hall, none of our players have been thugs. (Jones was a faux toughie)

However we do need at least a few who fly the flag. McLean, McInerney and Mills (and even Blakey) do not mind stepping in when the other mob goes over the line. This is good. None are thugs but make it clear they will not put up with our younger players copping crap.
Parker is as tough as they come - and has earned universal respect by never taking a backward step, but never resorting to cheap shots.

I love the way Parker goes about it. Im sure he’s a role model to many of our young players.

Nothing like it

As in the dishing out?

As he’s aged he’s got dirty but was still good at crunching and hurting the opposition when with us. Was unfairly ousted for his tackle on Ablett many moons ago when with us. But his presence and crash and bash always seemed his game. I didn’t think he was terrible the other night just saw an opportunity considering Hickey’s frame. He wasn’t great in 2012 GF but got us there so have a soft spot for him regardless of the grub work after.

Jason Ball is my hero when he finally overcame his injuries.

As in the dishing out?

As he’s aged he’s got dirty but was still good at crunching and hurting the opposition when with us. Was unfairly ousted for his tackle on Ablett many moons ago when with us. But his presence and crash and bash always seemed his game. I didn’t think he was terrible the other night just saw an opportunity considering Hickey’s frame. He wasn’t great in 2012 GF but got us there so have a soft spot for him regardless of the grub work after.

Ball was great but for me 'I like Mike Pyke'. He was a hero when Mummy went down. Bagged from pillar to post by the commentariat he just worked bloody hard with Taubert and became a reliable stalwart.

Slingshot Footy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Ability always wins out??
Brute strength/toughness won last weekend, so Hickeys scans say
oh, and the scoreboard

I wouldn't be knocking GWS's skill or ability just personally. One of the most talented midfield engines in the comp when fit and their ball movement by hand would only be shaded by a couple of other teams in the comp.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
As in the dishing out?

I was close to the Ablett tackle , it wasn't needed . He would have been okay in the 50's 60's and 70's

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
With all due respect, that is a weird suggestion. For fifteen or so years we drafted guys who were tougher than they were anything else. It brought us some success, but it clearly didn't bring us much by way of speed or skill.

I'm quite happy with our current strategy of drafting fair, honest players, as long as they are capable. Ability always wins out.
The teams I played with that won flags were both skilled and tough. We néed a few enforcers to toughen up our resolve as skills become fragile when a team is running scared.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The teams I played with that won flags were both skilled and tough. We néed a few enforcers to toughen up our resolve as skills become fragile when a team is running scared.
I think we have a few blokes that are pretty tough, albeit young. Warner, Campbell, Rowbottom, McInerney, and Mills all strike me as guys that will look out for the team and themselves.

I don't being physically tough is too important, because as you can see with Wicks, you don't need to be big to make the opposition hurt.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
What is the prognosis for Naismith?
With Hickey out I expect Sinclair will ruck in the interim.
Which leads me to ins and out for Gold Coast, there being no preview thread.
Gold Coast have 5 pages already and the latest post is that Papley is in doubt. Does anyone know anything about this?

OUT: Franklin Hickey
IN: Maclean Sinclair.

That bit is easy. The next bit ain't.
IN: Rowbottom
OUT: Wicks ?
Can't drop McDonald as Reid will be helping in the ruck, and as we saw in the first rounds, having McDonald and Maclean providing tall targets worked well.
That leaves Wicks for a rest. It's tough on Wicks but I can't think who else. Parker forward. Rowbottom in the mids.
And what about Stephens? He didn't set the world alight last week but to be fair he was notionally replacing a ruckman. Also it is hard to come on late in the game, with no senior footy since last year. If he comes in, probably Blakey out.

That then becomes four changes, so I doubt it.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I saw a lot of comments on here about how rough Mumford played, but I thought he played like he has always played - he's a big, tough man and that's how he plays. He played far better than I thought he would on Saturday, looks in great shape.
And it really is over the top blaming him for Hickey's injury, it was an accidental knock as they both jumped, nothing more, nothing less, just bad luck.
You're just not allowed to recklessly throw your elbows back.
He does it without a duty of care because he gets away with it.
He didn't do that when playing for us. He goes out like he has no care if he gets rubbed out because he is actually an assistant coach & not required long term. That bothers me when I watch him.
He's a modern day thug.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I never thought I'd be able to say it but .... Sam Reid ... durable.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The 'curse' is on. Reid does a hammy!!

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

As someone who has given him as much s**t as probably anyone on this board, I feel Reid deserves this: he has been bloody good this year (so far). He's not about to be bestowed with some All Australian honours (like a Swans player ever would be) but I'll be damned if this guy hasn't given well over 100% in every game I've seen him in this year. My qualms with Reid in the past have not been with his durability, as that is not his fault, nor his ability, as that is highly debatable, but with his application.

IMO he cannot be faulted in this regard this year. There's not been a single contest where he's shirked the issue. I know some smart arse will probably reply to this to try and start some debate about whether he's been hard done by all along or something. I say who gives a *. He's on the list in 2021, he's in the team in 2021, and he is playing like he bleeds for the club in 2021, so for that I take my hat off to him.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
What is the prognosis for Naismith?
With Hickey out I expect Sinclair will ruck in the interim.
Which leads me to ins and out for Gold Coast, there being no preview thread.
Gold Coast have 5 pages already and the latest post is that Papley is in doubt. Does anyone know anything about this?

OUT: Franklin Hickey
IN: Maclean Sinclair.

That bit is easy. The next bit ain't.
IN: Rowbottom
OUT: Wicks ?
Can't drop McDonald as Reid will be helping in the ruck, and as we saw in the first rounds, having McDonald and Maclean providing tall targets worked well.
That leaves Wicks for a rest. It's tough on Wicks but I can't think who else. Parker forward. Rowbottom in the mids.
And what about Stephens? He didn't set the world alight last week but to be fair he was notionally replacing a ruckman. Also it is hard to come on late in the game, with no senior footy since last year. If he comes in, probably Blakey out.

That then becomes four changes, so I doubt it.
Cannot drop Wicks. He has not put a foot wrong. Love his determination.

Back