Injury 2021 Injury, Rehab, Fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Touch wood we won’t need this thread too much more in 2021.

LTI out for the season are Marty Hore and Aaron Nietschke, both with ruptured ACLs.

Ben Brown and Sam Weiderman both look to be a couple of months away - both will return via VFL apparently, so when that looks like happening I’ll update this news.

Gus Brayshaw’s recovery looks to be progressing well, and should play a half against the Dogs on Monday 8 March.

The latest from Gus and Gawny indicates that Joel Smith is fit to return and may also play Monday, though possibly in the VFL practice match at Whitten Oval earlier in the day, hard to be sure. Also playing in the VFL practise match (I’m guessing this bit) should be Majak Daw - no injury issues but has had some fitness catch-up since being invited to train with Melbourne a few weeks back. The same podcast episode also suggested Hibbo is out of the rehab group, though no word on whether he will play in either game on Monday.

Kozzie returns to Melbourne tomorrow after taking personal leave to be with family following the death of his mother. No word as yet about how soon he will return.

Jack Viney and Jake Melksham are returning from foot surgery / hamstring injury respectively. Other than some puff pieces about a round 1 return, their status is uncertain but are “pushing hard” for round one or some such.

Since the Nietschke injury, apparently we have invited mature defender Kyle Declase from Werribee to train with the club. He should also play on Monday though possibly in the VFL practise match.

Please post any updates about injury list, rehab to main training or general list fitness discussion here.

Brown is ahead of Weideman in terms of injury comeback. Brown started some light running and short kicking during the week, whereas Weideman hasn't progressed to that stage as of yet.

Hope the club remembers their lessons from 2019 & doesn't rush anyone back until their fitness is up to scratch.
I was going to write "surely"

But quite frequently been wrong on that.

Personally think we are ticking along not too bad on injury front. I know the 2 talks out isn't ideal, but looks like they'll have Macca and Jacko tall, and swap gawn forward, so whilst not ideal, it's definitely serviceable.

Viney out isn't ideal, but again, that's a position we can cover with sparrow or Brayshaw.

Melksham as well, can be covered by several players.

Just hoping we get through Monday with no more injuries and the 2 weeks get a few other guys up. Freo look in great nick so we can't take them lightly.

Brown is ahead of Weideman in terms of injury comeback. Brown started some light running and short kicking during the week, whereas Weideman hasn't progressed to that stage as of yet.
As long as brown has no continuing issues, I'd expect him back several weeks before weid. Unfortunate for weid, but can imagine they are more conservative and we don't see him until round 6 or later.

Just my guess, I'm no medical expert.

Rather injuries to Brown and Weid than to May and Lever.

Might shake the forward line up for the better and seems Tmac is in decent form at the moment.

If we are any chance this year we will need May/Gawn/Lever/Trac to have pretty full seasons. Just don't think we will be in a position to miss blocks of games from our A graders

Viney has the same injury as Rozee?

Only difference is Viney elected to get the foot cleaned out where Rozee is currently playing but looks likely to go in for surgery this week.

Sorry for the post but have I got that right? Rozee looked pretty good today so it's only a minor procedure.

On the Your Coach podcast, Goody said Brown & Weid tracking together and looking like Rd 3 or 4. And would both come back thru Casey

We'll definitely need them for the Cats game with Cameron and Hawkins up the other end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll definitely need them for the Cats game with Cameron and Hawkins up the other end.
True, it's hard to see us containing Geelong, we will need a decent score to be any chance.

Saying that I feel like we've always done a reasonable job containing Cameron. Think he's averaged around 2 goals a game against us, compared to 3 and almost 4 against some other opposition. Hawkins on the other hand...

True, it's hard to see us containing Geelong, we will need a decent score to be any chance.

Saying that I feel like we've always done a reasonable job containing Cameron. Think he's averaged around 2 goals a game against us, compared to 3 and almost 4 against some other opposition. Hawkins on the other hand...
Cameron is one of the most overrated players I've seen.
As long as you don't let him run up and beat you back in behind he's pretty useless. Hawkins is just really good

Tmac matches up well on Cameron too so I'd rather have him playing back by then.

Great to see B Brown and Weid finally listed as 4-6 on the eve of the season

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Angus Brayshaw Foot Test
Ben Brown Knee 4-6 weeks
Michael Hibberd Ankle Test
Marty Hore Knee Season
Jay Lockhart Testicle TBC
Steven May Concussion Test
Jake Melksham Hamstring Test
Aaron Nietschke Knee Season
Jack Viney Foot 1-2 weeks
Sam Weideman Leg 4-6 weeks

Angus BrayshawFootTest
Ben BrownKnee4-6 weeks
Michael HibberdAnkleTest
Marty HoreKneeSeason
Jay LockhartTesticleTBC
Steven MayConcussionTest
Jake MelkshamHamstringTest
Aaron NietschkeKneeSeason
Jack VineyFoot1-2 weeks
Sam WeidemanLeg4-6 weeks
The big question is, will they be 4-6 next week?

Speaking of injuries and the new 23rd man rule - who is our go to injury sub?

Someone like AVB? in that he's a high impact player that seems to have an issue with fading and can play many positions on the ground

Angus BrayshawFootTest
Ben BrownKnee4-6 weeks
Michael HibberdAnkleTest
Marty HoreKneeSeason
Jay LockhartTesticleTBC
Steven MayConcussionTest
Jake MelkshamHamstringTest
Aaron NietschkeKneeSeason
Jack VineyFoot1-2 weeks
Sam WeidemanLeg4-6 weeks
Heard Goody say on SEN this morning that Brown should be back playing around Rounds 4-7. That was VFL as well not seniors. The way this is shaping up we'll be lucky to see him this season.

It’s shitty but I think as long as Jackson and TMac stay fit we should still be winning all of the games you’d expect us to win with Brown in, at least for the first two months. No excuses for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back