Injury 2021 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
10 years ago we used to get timely injury news from the club.

Then they outsourced it to the Addy with a few days delay.

Then K-Rock would report on surgery that occurred three weeks ago.

Now it’s text messages from relatives of the club posted on BigFooty as the cutting edge source.
I thought it was a case of just having no injuries...

terry_bright

All Australian
Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
So they've finally admitted Simpson has a quad injury.
No.
They released the medical diagnosis of a player in the public domain which in reality they don't have to do.

What other jobs to do you have to release to the general public your medical history and diagnosis and give a timeframe on when you'll recover.

The way some people get a bee in the bonnet over the club not telling us what's wrong with a player and god forbid not getting the time frame for recovery right if they do, is laughable and pathetic.

In truth, the club doesn't have to tell us jack both on the injury and recovery.

I would love it if the club (any club in fact) would just say player x is unavailable for selection because he's not right and you'll know he's okay to play when we name him in the team.

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
No.
They released the medical diagnosis of a player in the public domain which in reality they don't have to do.

What other jobs to do you have to release to the general public your medical history and diagnosis and give a timeframe on when you'll recover.

The way some people get a bee in the bonnet over the club not telling us what's wrong with a player and god forbid not getting the time frame for recovery right if they do, is laughable and pathetic.

In truth, the club doesn't have to tell us jack both on the injury and recovery.

I would love it if the club (any club in fact) would just say player x is unavailable for selection because he's not right and you'll know he's okay to play when we name him in the team.
I guess some of us prefer the days when.the club engaged with its supporters, rather than fobbing them off.

Doesn't mean they released precise info, but it did mean they kept the supporters informed, to some extent, and made them feel valued as part of the GFC community.

Now, it's a bit to much like a 'give us your money and p*ss off' attitude.

BigCat1

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Updates on Menegola, Simpson, Ratugolea, Stephens, Cameron, Higgins and Evans...

The fact that Cameron wasn’t even able to train today and was sitting in the stands watching on was not a good sign for playing in Rd 5

somebody reported that he had a further setback last Friday. You’d think if that wasn’t the case he’d be at least running laps today

worrying signs. Unfortunately for us supporters we have heard this “he’s close but we are being ultra cautious” tune many many times over the last decade. It’s the usual classic diversion.

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
The fact that Cameron wasn’t even able to train today and was sitting in the stands watching on was not a good sign for playing in Rd 5

somebody reported that he had a further setback last Friday. You’d think if that wasn’t the case he’d be at least running laps today

worrying signs. Unfortunately for us supporters we have heard this “he’s close but we are being ultra cautious” tune many many times over the last decade. It’s the usual classic diversion.
Our new 'Cocky'?

Shadow89

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
God we have such sh*t medicos...I'm so sick of this always happening. How many times do we have to hear 'oh there was something unexpected that came up that we didn't see on first scan.' I cannot actually remember the last time we were like 'player x will miss x weeks' and then they were just back within that timeframe. Seems to happen with so many other clubs, but never with us when it comes to any sort of injury.

If Cameron doesn't play next week, and he's had another setback, that is a serious f*cking problem. I am so livid right now.

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
God we have such sh*t medicos...I'm so sick of this always happening. How many times do we have to hear 'oh there was something unexpected that came up that we didn't see on first scan.' I cannot actually remember the last time we were like 'player x will miss x weeks' and then they were just back within that timeframe. Seems to happen with so many other clubs, but never with us when it comes to any sort of injury.

If Cameron doesn't play next week, and he's had another setback, that is a serious f*cking problem. I am so livid right now.
Well, he isn't young, so injuries can be more frequent and prolonged......

I would've thought a thorough physical prior to trading him would've revealed the suspected scar tissue on his hammy though. It seems that's been a surprise to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Not an auspicious start with Rata and Cameron, if so.
Not sure what the medical staff have to do with Ratugolea's injury -

“It’s a bit of bad luck for Esava, he got a kick at training on his lower leg where he’d previously had a fracture in his fibula,” Scott said.
“(He) had it scanned multiple times and nothing came up so we were optimistic we could get him back in a week or two, but it sort of persisted a bit and we rescanned it again and the fracture’s shown up.

How can medical staff be blamed if nothing comes up on a scan; can't exactly treat an injury when there's no known injury

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure what the medical staff have to do with Ratugolea's injury -

“It’s a bit of bad luck for Esava, he got a kick at training on his lower leg where he’d previously had a fracture in his fibula,” Scott said.
“(He) had it scanned multiple times and nothing came up so we were optimistic we could get him back in a week or two, but it sort of persisted a bit and we rescanned it again and the fracture’s shown up.

How can medical staff be blamed if nothing comes up on a scan; can't exactly treat an injury when there's no known injury
I was being a little cheeky...... Printed words don't always convey tone or humour.

On the other hand, there'd be some concern behind the club's doors about Cameron.

dangerwood

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

Right? How's Heppell? Bad news for bombers fans blah blah blah, ......oh he came good early, ready to go.

Shadow89

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not sure I'll be able to back the Cats staff on this one, if they literally have thrown away a quarter of our season due to mismanaging his loads coming back. Coupled with Higgins, Evan, Stephens, Ratugolea etc. this is starting to get very bad - and it's only Round 4.

BigCat1

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
It's round 4 guys. Some perspective.
It’s not ideal though. It will be round 6 before we see Cameron (assuming he hasn’t done it again which the evidence is stacking up given his no shows this week). He has now done absolutely no serious load training since Xmas.

It doesn’t bode well at all for a good productive season off an extremely ordinary one last year.

The alarm bells are ringing as the first two years of his deal are our “premiership chances”

It’s in the Geelong media guide...the injury is minor, nothing serious, two weeks....(2 weeks later) he’s close, if it was a final he could play this week but we want him to be cherry ripe.....(2 weeks later) we are being ultra cautious and holding the reigns......(two weeks later) he’s close it’s a strange one. Pretty rare injury not related to the last injury which was in exactly the same spot. He just feels tight so we are going to load him.....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad