Injury 2021 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick Dangerfield set to play Round 1 after Geelong reveals improvement in pesky groin injury - Jon Ralph

He had plenty of Cats fans worried when a pesky groin injury just wouldn’t go away. Breath easy, Geelong has given an update on Patrick Dangerfield.

Star Geelong onballer Patrick Dangerfield will be fit to take on former side Adelaide in Round 1 after turning a corner in his recovery from groin issues.
And Cats recruit Jeremy Cameron will join him as he overcomes a minor hamstring strain.

The mobile big forward is hitting top speed while covering 10km during training sessions.

Beaten grand finalist Geelong has spent the summer introducing new acquisitions Shaun Higgins and Isaac Smith to a team that saw club legends Gary Ablett and Harry Taylor retire in the off-season.

Dangerfield’s groin injury hampered him late in the year but Geelong football boss Simon Lloyd told the Herald Sun he was on track with the build-up to Round 1.

“We are very pleased with Patrick’s progress,” Lloyd said.

“He has progressed through his footy loads without any issue and looks strong and fit. We are very happy with where he is at.”

Cameron has already settled into the club and town after a bruising trade period that saw Geelong forced to trade with GWS for his services but retaining three 2021 second-round picks.

Despite stepping out of some match simulation including last week’s contest, Lloyd said he had been on the track enough to build synergy with his new teammates.

“Jeremy is completing large loads of football training,” he said.

“He is up around the 10km (distance) mark in sessions and we have seen him hit his maximum speed.

“You can see with Jeremy how quick his decision-making is and he is getting used to the dynamics of working with the new forward line. He’s settled in here and to be honest it feels like he’s been here forever.

“He’s a highly intelligent footballer and he’s working with Corey Enright, the forwards coach, and they are training in small groups this week but the more they train together the more comfortable they will be.”

Geelong and Collingwood will play in a practice match on February 26 at GMHBA Stadium before the Cats take on Essendon on Saturday March 6 in their only AAMI Community Series clash.

The scratch match against Collingwood will again be an informal affair in which the clubs will work on match strategy with a mix of normal game time and then specific drills such as forward 50 stoppages to hone their craft.

Luke Dahlhaus is building his strength after groin issues, while Darcy Fort (PCL) is in modified training after a recent setback.

Sam Simpson (shoulder surgery) is back in training and nearly ready to progress to full contact training after his breakout 2020 season.

“Dahlhaus is progressing well,” Lloyd said.

“He is picking up speed and working on change of direction and working through different footy sessions and that will increase in coming weeks.

“Darcy is completing modified craft sessions at the moment and we will monitor how his knee responds in the coming two or three weeks. We are happy with his progress.”

*please don't judge me for having access, I don't really care about the newspaper but got a subscription a couple of years ago so I could get the weekly travel mag and then have access to sports based stories during the various sporting seasons

*please don't judge me for having access, I don't really care about the newspaper but got a subscription a couple of years ago so I could get the weekly travel mag and then have access to sports based stories during the various sporting seasons
You have earned your pay this week.

There's a bloke called Menegola who might claim a wing position...

..as for Blicavs, all indications are he'll be in defence...
I was joking about the wing/ruck thing. I'm just a bit gutted we won't be seeing much Stanley/Blitz ruck combo work outside of d50 and am not confident Stanley's body will hold up as a sole ruck

If you have a ruck on the bench too it'll shorten the amount of rest time your other players get. As you point out the interchange cap effectively kills the option
?not when both rucks can play as mobile mids, as is the case with Sav and Stanley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think there's anything here that we didn't already know about

Geelong

Mitch Duncan is in serious doubt for round one after multiple calf setbacks this summer that kept him out of last week’s pre-season clash with Collingwood and likely Saturday night against Essendon. Former Hawk Isaac Smith (ankle), Luke Dahlhaus (groin), Darcy Fort (knee) and Sam Simpson (shoulder) are others on the injury shelf. Smith should be right for the season opener. Zach Tuohy withdrew from the Pies game after feeling sore in the warm-up, while Rhys Stanley copped a knock in the second quarter.

Haven't seen this included in any other injury summary pieces. Article also mentions that Smith, Esava and Tuohy are expected to be right for the weekend...

Second-year midfielder Cooper Stephens has been slowed by a knee complaint.

Haven't seen this included in any other injury summary pieces. Article also mentions that Smith, Esava and Tuohy are expected to be right for the weekend...

That's unfortunate, i was hoping he might get a run in the essendon game because to be honest I've never actualy seen anything of Cooper.

I sat down for my morning coffee at a cafe in Pakington Street today. Turns out there were four Cats at the adjoining table: Sam Simpson, RatSav and two others I didn't recognise - But what I did recognise was the moon-boot wrapped around Sav's left lower leg. Not good.

They were mainly talking about women and a little about up-and-coming youngsters :shoutyoldman:

Edit: One of the players I previously didn't recognise was Isaac Smith - saw his pic in the paper today.

Last edited:
I sat down for my morning coffee at a cafe in Pakington Street this morning. Turns out there were four Cats at the adjoining table: Sam Simpson, RatSav and two others I didn't recognise - But what I did recognise was the moon-boot wrapped around Sav's left lower leg. Not good.

They were mainly talking about women and a little about up-and-coming youngsters :shoutyoldman:

Edit: One of the players I previously didn't recognise was Isaac Smith - saw his pic in the paper today.
Is Simpson injured, he didn’t play on the weekend and I would consider him borderline best 22 after last year so I was surprised.

Is Simpson injured, he didn’t play on the weekend and I would consider him borderline best 22 after last year so I was surprised.
recovering from shoulder reco from GF..

Go Catters

He doesn't think he'll be ready for round 1 but will ramp up training this week.

Not Cats related, but Rayner out for season is a big loss for Lions. I had them as a major chance with Daniher up there. I see our old pal Cocky is still battling with a Hammie up there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back