Injury 2021 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

SL16

Senior List
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Couldn't find a thread for our Injuries this year so thought I'd make one

(Mods feel free to delete if its not needed)

Current Injury List (27/4)

Jarrod Berry Adductor Test
Cam Ellis-Yolmen Shin 1-2 weeks
Darcy Gardiner Concussion 1 week
Connor McFadyen Knee Test
Lachie Neale Ankle 8 weeks
Archie Smith Ankle Test
Ely Smith Ankle 1 week
Henry Smith Calf 1-2 weeks
Jack Payne Foot 1-2 weeks
Cam Rayner Knee Season

That amazes me really. Acl in late June I think it was, back by May possibly.

Isn't an ACL traditionally a 9 month recovery? I feel like we've just come to think of it as a year because it always means season finished - but I think 9-10 months is generally about right.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Isn't an ACL traditionally a 9 month recovery? I feel like we've just come to think of it as a year because it always means season finished - but I think 9-10 months is generally about right.
From my basketball days, an acl was always thought of as a 12 month injury, with most players not having full confidence in their knee for another 12 months.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Depends I guess. Hollands did his what Feb or March last year and still isn't back(Although the Suns are being extra cautious).
According to Hollands surgeon in the video 'Journey to the Draft: Elijah Hollands' if he "had a say he would not allow Hollands to play minimum 12 month and beyond as the graft has to heal and that takes time". Hollands had a surgery early March 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I thought it was 9 months till you can start really building strength back. But generally another 3 months till able to fully train and be game ready. But then generally another 12 months until full confidence returns and players back at their best

That ruins a bell. I've heard some stats that said if you wait 12 full month's the re-injury risk is negligible, but between 9-12 months it was not huge, but significant (in stats terms).

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
ACL reconstruction recovery time depends on the type of graft used for repair (patella versus hamstring vs quadriceps vs allograft), size of the graft, patient age, strength of the patients glutes hamstrings and quads, the type of activity they are returning to and psychological factors. If a baseball player broke their acl chugging beers before they roll out of the dugout to bat, they could return a bit sooner than 9 months. An olympic snowboarder should probably take longer than a year. However they would probably roll the dice and return really early if it were an Olympic year. Id gather we would give Rayner the full 9 months just to do normal rehabilitation and non contact skills with the view to slowly ease him into a modified preseason where he only starts doing contact work late in the preseason. If he goes well then plays round 1 or slowly eases in through the VFL. With grafts the longer you give it the less likely ot is to rupture again. There is no gain in rushing Cam through rehab. A second ACL would be an absolute disaster. Cam off an ACL is not going to be the difference between a premiership and nothing thos year. Rushing cam through the 2021 preseason for round 1 next year also is of little benefit given how long the afl season is. id rather they take their time and really build cam up with a return around round 5 next year. We want longevity out of Cam so no need to rush it. Contrast this to McFadyen. We need to push his recovery as quick as we can. He is a fringe player who could get delisted. We need to push his recovery through as quick as he can so he gets the chance to show something and earn a contract. If his recovery takes too long then he may find himself playing for Aspley in the VFL. For him rolling the dice is worth the risk of another acl rupture.

Interestingly, Noah Answerth has just appeared on the injury list as TBC with a groin injury. Not sure when that happened - evidently at training? Either way, looks like he isn't an option in the immediate future.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
JarrodB hasn't seemed right since he had glandular fever which does/can take a long long time to get over....then has been one thing after another.

...so hope he gets a good rest and can get over all these injuries, although groin injuries seem to take quite a while.

🤞Fingers crossed, would be so sad to see his career cut short.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fagan said Answerth hasn't played since the Sydney game last year with groin soreness but is probably 1-2 weeks away

Although he did play the reserves game earlier in the year and got suspended

ForzaRoma

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Going off Fagan's interview, it looks like answerth will be back in about a week and will play reserves. Berry is an unknown, but it's interesting that Fagan said Jarrod will play reserves as well. He and Answerth are both going through groin injuries and are part of our best squad, so Fagan obviously wants to make sure that they're not rushed back into the squad. I guess this means our current squad won't be changing for the next 4-6 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back