Injury 2021 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like we are missing Selwyn Griffith (?) more than people realise. Was the head of medical at Lions, who went to Melbourne, and now their medical team/injury list is looking fantastic. Some of our injuries have just been plain unlucky (Neale/Hipwood) but others have been a combination of who knows.

Can Adams and Gardiner be in the same team? If so does it come down to Lester being dropped and Adams pushed forward as we head into finals when both are back up and running?

Can Adams and Gardiner be in the same team? If so does it come down to Lester being dropped and Adams pushed forward as we head into finals when both are back up and running?
Personally I think we can only play two of Adams/Payne/Gardiner/Lester to pair with Andrews. Which is the best combination now and for the future is a tough question

Personally I think we can only play two of Adams/Payne/Gardiner/Lester to pair with Andrews. Which is the best combination now and for the future is a tough question

Andrews, Adams & Gardiner are a pretty formidable trio.

Agreed for most teams. West Coast and Geelong might be exceptions

I think it depends on where the club thinks we are in terms of premiership contention, in which it looks like in the short-term.

If we are looking at the short-term future of the club, I think the club believes Andrews, Gardiner & Adams are the best trio, with Payne & Lester in the reserves.

If we are looking at the long-term future of the club though, I think that the best trio IMO will be Andrews, Gardiner & Payne, with Adams depth for Payne & Lester depth for Gardiner.

Yes they can, and no Adams will not be pushed forward. Why take a 7.5-8/10 player and move him to a position where he is probably 4/10 at best?

Yes they can, and no Adams will not be pushed forward. Why take a 7.5-8/10 player and move him to a position where he is probably 4/10 at best?
They may decide that the top 22 is better with Lester rather than, say, Fullarton. Using arbitrary values, maybe a Lester 6 out of 10 and Adams forward 4 out of 10 is seen as better than Adams defender = 7.5 and Fullarton = 2.

Not suggesting this will happen but it shouldn’t be completely written off as an option in a Hipwood-less forward line. We may need to manufacture a marking target up forward if we can’t get a contest from Fullarton or a restructure.

Why not play Andrews as a leading forward similar to how Hipwood operated and then allow Gardiner & Adams back in defence, when fit :p

Our coaches might want to trial that experiment again over the upcoming pre-season until Hipwood is back, if we can't find a mature option in the F50 next season to fill that void for 12 months such as Casboult (Carlton) or Lynch (Adelaide).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Adams is ready to go this week or soon as he will be important for finals
He does not have a great record in quick recovery from any type of injury
Always a first for everything i suppose
Be interesting to see the AFL injury list coming out sometime today
Last week Gardiner listed as 3-5 weeks
Interestingly, he was never listed on the injury list this time around.

New injury list dated today
So Gardiner basically the same as last week (3-5 weeks)

Nice to know Adams can resume walking :)

Marcus AdamsFoot 2-4 weeks
Noah AnswerthGroinTBC
Darcy GardinerShoulder2-4 weeks
Eric HipwoodKneeSeason
Harry SharpAnkleSeason
Cam RaynerKneeSeason
Updated: Tuesday, July 27
Early prognosis
Not much official coming out of the Lions, although Gardiner continues to ease towards a return. Adams is out of his moon boot after discovering a hot spot in his foot two weeks ago and has resumed walking. Neither player will make the week-plus road trip to play Hawthorn in Launceston and then Fremantle in Perth. - Michael Whiting

My back 7 for finals at this stage would be >

Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner.
Jack Payne, Marcus Adams, Brandon Starcevich.

James Madden.

Last edited:

Noah AnswerthGroinTBC
Eric HipwoodKneeSeason
Harry SharpAnkleSeason
Cam RaynerKneeSeason
Early prognosis
Not much official coming out of the Lions, although Gardiner continues to ease towards a return. Adams is out of his moon boot after discovering a hot spot in his foot two weeks ago and has resumed walking. Neither player will make the week-plus road trip to play Hawthorn in Launceston and then Fremantle in Perth. - Michael Whiting
"...week long road trip" - does this suggest that the Lions will fly to Perth from Tas and not return to Brisbane between games?

Noah AnswerthGroinTBC
Eric HipwoodKneeSeason
Harry SharpAnkleSeason
Cam RaynerKneeSeason
Early prognosis
Hopefully Adams and Gardiner can both return for our final Home and Away game against the Eagles and get a match under their belt before finals. I am much more confident of our chances this year if we have those two back in the side. Not only are they great players in their own right but Andrews plays infinitely better when those two are alongside him.

Bit rough on Starcevich. Arguably been our best and most consistent defender all year. Guaranteed inclusion imo.
Doh!

tenor.gif

I will edit.

"...week long road trip" - does this suggest that the Lions will fly to Perth from Tas and not return to Brisbane between games?

Yeah, I guess it's part of the protocol required when playing in Perth. They had Hardwick on 360 last night & he said Richmond flew straight there after getting their arse handed to them in their match on the weekend. I'm paraphrasing there ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back