Injury 2021 Injury Updates Thread

I keep reading we are racking up the injuries and are in trouble. Sure players are sore and have knocks but that's normal. As I said the other day, most of them are flankers that can be replaced. Butters is hard to replace his output and we will miss Houston's delivery inside 50, but we aren't missing 4 or 5 KPP's we don't have the depth to cover.

Our coaches say we have to take a squad type approach if we are going to win a flag. Lets practice what they preach.

Best 16
Zak Butters – ankle (3-4 weeks)
Dan Houston – shoulder (assess)
Xavier Duursma – knee (11-13 weeks)
SPP - coming back from personal issues

17th-25th type
Hamish Hartlett – corked thigh (assess)
Riley Bonner – hamstring (1 week)

Depth
Jackson Mead – spleen (TBC)

Rookies - weren't/aren't going to play this year unless a major crisis happens
Tyson Goldsack – knee (2-3 weeks)
Jake Pasini – shoulder (9-10 weeks)

Yes the last couple of games we have had match day injuries that have made the task harder than expected, but them's the breaks.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I keep reading we are racking up the injuries and are in trouble. Sure players are sore and have knocks but that's normal. As I said the other day, most of them are flankers that can be replaced. Butters is hard to replace his output and we will miss Houston's delivery inside 50, but we aren't missing 4 or 5 KPP's we don't have the depth to cover.

Our coaches say we have to take a squad type approach if we are going to win a flag. Lets practice what they preach.

Best 16
Zak Butters – ankle (3-4 weeks)
Dan Houston – shoulder (assess)
Xavier Duursma – knee (11-13 weeks)
SPP - coming back from personal issues

17th-25th type
Hamish Hartlett – corked thigh (assess)
Riley Bonner – hamstring (1 week)

Depth
Jackson Mead – spleen (TBC)

Rookies - weren't/aren't going to play this year unless a major crisis happens
Tyson Goldsack – knee (2-3 weeks)
Jake Pasini – shoulder (9-10 weeks)

Yes the last couple of games we have had match day injuries that have made the task harder than expected, but them's the breaks.

I actually think it can be beneficial so long as we bank enough wins to finish top 4 and get everyone back before finals.

We have seen ti so many times before with premiership sides that they create great depth and great competition for spots by testing their depth in the early to mid season only for everyone to come back late in the season.

I think the injury crisis is overstated. Teams have injuries, it's part of the game. We've been very lucky the past couple of years, this is just a return to normal programming.

Also, it's long term injuries that really kill you. Our only long term injury to a key player is Duursma - and even that isn't season ending. We'll be fine.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I think the injury crisis is overstated. Teams have injuries, it's part of the game. We've been very lucky the past couple of years, this is just a return to normal programming.

Also, it's long term injuries that really kill you. Our only long term injury to a key player is Duursma - and even that isn't season ending. We'll be fine.

100% this.

Granted if you get another 5 or so, then you start suffering

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Haven't seen anything re Jones but wouldn't be surprised. Was watching him closely at the ground. Was struggling with an ankle/heel. Went off for a bit and then came back on but was visibly distressed.

Drew, Frederick, Ladhams, Rockliff, McKenzie, Powell-Pepper, Lienert, Hayes and Garner were all outside the 22 last week.

Bonner is a week away from probably playing SANFL. Hammer and Houston either play this or next week.

We bat deep. Just hope that the 22 on the ground (namely Rozee, Motlop, Aliir etc) can get over their knocks and be close to 100% while playing.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Tredders had nothing on Jones on the news tonight.
I do remember him injuring his ankle during the game and getting it re strapped wait and see I guess.
His left lower leg/ankle was trapped under the tackler in this tackle. Watch the video on the AFL site and you can see how he could have ended up with an injury similar to Butters.

1619000380132.png

The injury crisis is overstated because of recency bias. We had a great run the first four months of the year, then we had four months' worth of injuries at once over the last two weeks. But all that's really done is bring us back to par.

Last edited:

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The injury crisis is overstated because of recency bias. We had a great run the first four months of the year, then we had four months' worth of injuries at once over the last two weeks.

Its not even bejng overstated. If you go back a page there's literally one person saying we're getting hit hard. No awards for guessing who.

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
The thing I hate about our injuries is that they are the players that are supposed to improve the team.

Butters
Duursma
Jones
Mead
Houston
Rozee is playing hurt

Add in multiple players going down clutching joints during games such as Marshall, Georgiades, Aliir & Fantasia.

These are the players that we added that helped take us from a terrible team to a contender. Remove them from the team and we are back to where we were always finishing mid table.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Yeah I wouldn't say it's an injury crisis just yet, we're certainly on the verge of being heavily impacted, but for now it's more that we're extremely banged up. Have had so many players limping around after minor tweaks, or big injuries the last couple weeks. Fanta, Motlop, R Gray, Boak, Clurey, Aliir, Rozee, Marshall, Georgiadies, HH, Houston, Butters, Duursma, Jones. That's a lot of banged up boys.

So on top of the key list of injuries, we have a heap of players playing sore now.

The other concern I guess is that the number of injured players critical players to our style, is increasing. Butters & Houston in particular. Not having SPP ready hurts too.

It's good for our list development though. We really needed games into our depth. Just a shame that we aren't seeing Mead or Williams command those open opportunities.

Back