Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Being an internal trial pretty much ignored the older guys except Jnr, midfield is the go, looked good.

concentrated on the young ones, and yes I know, 1 match and an internal but I liked a lot of what I saw. Here are my standouts.

Pedlar - Wow, I now understand why they jumped with our second pick. There were times I thought he had a 32 on his back. I think I am going to enjoy watch this kid play. Hard at it, moves through the contest nicely and disposal ok.
Berry - just a little behind Pedlar IMO, and I mean a little. Great pick up. Again hard at it, good movement and loves to tackle, we may have found the perfect tagger that can nullify and hurt back the other way
Hately - As expected, good mix of inside and out, needs to clean up disposal a bit but not concerned at this stage. Has good vision and makes good choices.
These 3 worked really well together. Good sign for the future.
Worrell - Looks like an AFL player, I'm sure I've seen it said before in this thread but I agree, a bit of the Bont about this kid, has that balance a loping gate that is deceptively quick with a nice read of the play and good skills. I want to see more of this kid.
Butts - Our next full back, good size, good movement and looks a little stronger. better disposal than Harto, give it a couple of years and he will be a step up from Harto.
Borlase - my only knock is I wish he was a little taller. For an NGA rookie pick.. start the car. I can already taste the salty tears down the road in a couple of years about how we cheated the system and he should be Powa! Jake Kelly should be worried because this kid has his spot in his sights and it is just a matter of time.

Noteble mentions
Rowey - ready to go.
Jones - turned the corner, expect big things this year
McHenry - Finally! I now have some confidence in him
Philthy - That pack mark in the 4th made me smile, clean, to tall. And there were times I had to look twice to figure out who that midfielder was, nice

I am concerned about our defence, if Tahlia goes down we are in trouble. Mcasey, Butts, Borlase, will be ok but still very green. I think we are going to leak some big scores this year and next. Our smalls are ok but those big forwards are going to feast on us, especially those teams with 2 or more big forwards.

CROW in BALI

Cancelled
Freeze MND Challenge 2021
Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn’t surprise me to see a bit of niggle from Kelly as he has a bit of junk yard dog in him , but the bite back from Milera was a great sign , shows his head space is spot on , put that with a sound body and we could see a great year from Junior.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I don't see how you can just make blanked absolute statements like that?

To me Thilthorpe looked much more comfortable out in space than inside congestion. Looks like a big running player.
If we got a tall lanky wingman with pick 2, then I give up.

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Forgot to mention Davis, which was.....an interesting move. Not really sure if it suits him and I did like what he showed up forward before his disappearance last year. Have to wait and see on what they do with him.
I really like Davis as a defender. Great size and athletic profile to be a third tall, and clearly is skilled by foot.

If Doedee doesn't get up, I'd have him only behind Worrell to take that role.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Nice elevation by Fisch...

1613873131003.png

Alright thoughts of that trial:

Good (I'm not going to worry about bad/ugly, it's a trial game, and a pretty bruise free one at that):

WaynesWorld19 is absolutely off the money if he think Schoenberg is going to have a down year this. Struggled as a forward, but the moment he switched into the midfield, he looked very good.
Butts looked pretty solid.
Jones played well. Faded when red got on top, but any day where you get two goals is a good day.
Sholl played well. Faded when red got on top, but any day where you get two goals is a good day.
Thilthorpe looked good on the wing. Also took a really good contested mark and goal in the third. Very promising.
Rowe took a step forward to locking up that round 1 debut. If it was a 90% chance coming into this game, it's now 95%. Was very dangerous.
I didn't mind Fogartys game. I don't think he's a key forward in the mid to long term, but got a goal and played a role in a few others is pretty ok in a supporting role. It was Tex/Framptons day today.
Similar to Himmelberg. Didn't get a lot of it, but did well when he did.
Hately, and Keays were industrious all day.
McHenry looked very good, bar a couple of brain fades.
Milera looked confident which is very good.

Big winners:

Pedlar looks like he'll be quite the player, and not far off a debut either. He's got a dynamic streak, and a bit of class that a lot of players don't.
Berry was industrious and got two goals. He certainly edges closer to a debut off that performance.
Newchurch was busy all day and got a couple of goals in a losing side. Murphy is praying he doesn't learn how to tackle.
Frampton reminded us all that he's existing. That's more than most other lucky recipients of the Angus Graham list position.
Worrell looked good. Intercepted well and played with aggression every moment he could. He's going a long was to alleviate concerns I've had about his future in the last couple of weeks.

All in all, I don't think that game changes anything with our best 22, but that + a good showing against Port could really see Pedlar/Berry start to demand a best 22 spot.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Newchurch was busy all day and got a couple of goals in a losing side. Murphy is praying he doesn't learn how to tackle.
Newchurch has gone from a low probability to make the grade, to a good chance .....impressed yesterday in his willingness to embrace the contest

Is it possible that Berry replaces Murphy as that pressure fwd ......Berry's flexibility to go into the midfield as well, in my mind has me leaning in that path

Gotta find a way of having both Pedlar & Berry in the team

Also super impressed with Gollant

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I really like Davis as a defender. Great size and athletic profile to be a third tall, and clearly is skilled by foot.

If Doedee doesn't get up, I'd have him only behind Worrell to take that role.
Davis looked good in that role, but I hope it is just a short stint to help him ultimately develop as a forward.

The problem is that we most definitely don't have a need for Davis in that spot. We have plenty of mid sized defenders. What we need is a Lynch replacement.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Newchurch has gone from a low probability to make the grade, to a good chance .....impressed yesterday in his willingness to embrace the contest

Is it possible that Berry replaces Murphy as that pressure fwd ......Berry's flexibility to go into the midfield as well, in my mind has me leaning in that path

Gotta find a way of having both Pedlar & Berry in the team

Also super impressed with Gollant
We could always drop mcka........

JennyTalia

All Australian
Mar 24, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Alright thoughts of that trial:

Good (I'm not going to worry about bad/ugly, it's a trial game, and a pretty bruise free one at that):

WaynesWorld19 is absolutely off the money if he think Schoenberg is going to have a down year this. Struggled as a forward, but the moment he switched into the midfield, he looked very good.
Butts looked pretty solid.
Jones played well. Faded when red got on top, but any day where you get two goals is a good day.
Sholl played well. Faded when red got on top, but any day where you get two goals is a good day.
Thilthorpe looked good on the wing. Also took a really good contested mark and goal in the third. Very promising.
Rowe took a step forward to locking up that round 1 debut. If it was a 90% chance coming into this game, it's now 95%. Was very dangerous.
I didn't mind Fogartys game. I don't think he's a key forward in the mid to long term, but got a goal and played a role in a few others is pretty ok in a supporting role. It was Tex/Framptons day today.
Similar to Himmelberg. Didn't get a lot of it, but did well when he did.
Hately, and Keays were industrious all day.
McHenry looked very good, bar a couple of brain fades.
Milera looked confident which is very good.

Big winners:

Pedlar looks like he'll be quite the player, and not far off a debut either. He's got a dynamic streak, and a bit of class that a lot of players don't.
Berry was industrious and got two goals. He certainly edges closer to a debut off that performance.
Frampton reminded us all that he's existing. That's more than most other lucky recipients of the Angus Graham list position.
Worrell looked good. Intercepted well and played with aggression every moment he could. He's going a long was to alleviate concerns I've had about his future in the last couple of weeks.

All in all, I don't think that game changes anything with our best 22, but that + a good showing against Port could really see Pedlar/Berry start to demand a best 22 spot.
Absolutely agree regarding Schoenberg. Was pretty quiet at half forward but had an instant impact when put on the ball in the last. I'm not concerned about him in the slightest. He's quality.

Our future midfield is starting to really take shape.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
After watching a full replay of the game I can make some comments.

Newchurch surprised me. He has good instincts combined with explosive speed. Definite potential for an AFL career.

Pedlar and Berry were sublime. The obvious standouts in the red midfield. I could see both of these guys getting games early if any of our mids start the season off the boil. It will be good to have real competition for spots.

Keays and Laird both look like continuing on with their 2020 form.

Frampton and Tex were the standout forwards. Thilthorpe also did some good work on the wing and kicked a great goal late in the game.

McHenry was decent and had an influence on the game but lacked composure. Should of had another goal.

Hately got a fair amount of the footy but burned it pretty badly.

Fogarty pretty quiet. Looked frustrated. He does look fitter. I think McPherson may have been marking him and did a pretty good job of taking him out of the game.

Worrell looks solid. Nice blend of height and mobility. He also surprised me with his composure under pressure. He's got to be a real chance of getting games soon.

Schoenberg pretty quiet but there were flashes of real brilliance eg. selling the dummy.

Jones didn't get a huge amount of it but he was damaging with the possessions he had.

Seedsman looks to be in good form in metres per gained sort of way. His long kicking could be really handy.

O'Connor has the body to play AFL and did some nice work in close. Would need to win more of the footy if he's a chance to play AFL though.

Not sure about Strachan. He got beaten by Frampton late in the game which is not a good look.

Not sure Gollant is suited to play forward. It's an interesting experiment though. Could pay dividends given his aerial ability. Needs more time in the gym.

Back