Preview 2021 Internal Trial: Crow v Crow, 20/2/21 10.30am ACDT

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Nick Reiwoldt play his best footy on the wing and floating back into the forward line.
No, he played as a mobile centre half forward who had the tank to really push up and back.

But he was still identifiably a tall forward.

Alright thoughts of that trial:

Good (I'm not going to worry about bad/ugly, it's a trial game, and a pretty bruise free one at that):

WaynesWorld19 is absolutely off the money if he think Schoenberg is going to have a down year this. Struggled as a forward, but the moment he switched into the midfield, he looked very good.
Butts looked pretty solid.
Jones played well. Faded when red got on top, but any day where you get two goals is a good day.
Sholl played well. Faded when red got on top, but any day where you get two goals is a good day.
Thilthorpe looked good on the wing. Also took a really good contested mark and goal in the third. Very promising.
Rowe took a step forward to locking up that round 1 debut. If it was a 90% chance coming into this game, it's now 95%. Was very dangerous.
I didn't mind Fogartys game. I don't think he's a key forward in the mid to long term, but got a goal and played a role in a few others is pretty ok in a supporting role. It was Tex/Framptons day today.
Similar to Himmelberg. Didn't get a lot of it, but did well when he did.
Hately, and Keays were industrious all day.
McHenry looked very good, bar a couple of brain fades.
Milera looked confident which is very good.

Big winners:

Pedlar looks like he'll be quite the player, and not far off a debut either. He's got a dynamic streak, and a bit of class that a lot of players don't.
Berry was industrious and got two goals. He certainly edges closer to a debut off that performance.
Newchurch was busy all day and got a couple of goals in a losing side. Murphy is praying he doesn't learn how to tackle.
Frampton reminded us all that he's existing. That's more than most other lucky recipients of the Angus Graham list position.
Worrell looked good. Intercepted well and played with aggression every moment he could. He's going a long was to alleviate concerns I've had about his future in the last couple of weeks.

All in all, I don't think that game changes anything with our best 22, but that + a good showing against Port could really see Pedlar/Berry start to demand a best 22 spot.

Nice summary, but two things:
(1) Ask Macadam whether it was a bruise-free game. ;) (also Kelly and Mackay).
(2) I was very pleased to note that Newchurch has already learned how to tackle: he did an extremely effective one on the wing at some point- very impressive.

Lets say we can only play 26 against port, whos in the team?

Brown Butts Macpherson
Kelly McAsey Hamill
Seed, Sloane,Sholl
Lynch Walker McAdam
Rowe Berg Murphy

ROB, Hately, Milera, Laird
Jones, Fog, Frampton, Shoenberg, Worrell, Berry, The other one who looks like berry whose name I cant remember right now

Lets say we can only play 26 against port, whos in the team?

Brown Butts Macpherson
Kelly McAsey Hamill
Seed, Sloane,Sholl
Lynch Walker McAdam
Rowe Berg Murphy

ROB, Hately, Milera, Laird
Jones, Fog, Frampton, Shoenberg, Worrell, Berry, The other one who looks like berry whose name I cant remember right now

I suspect we'll see most of our 2nds against Port.

We only have the scratchy next week and then the trial match against Freo. I think both teams may opt for 24 player squads and give four players a half with the other 20 players having normal rotations. I expect we will go for a full strength team against Freo and play 22 with a couple of emergencies in case there are injuries.

I predict an epic meltdown when the squad to play the Pear is announced.

Our SANFL trial match schedule :

Saturday March 6
Norwood v Adelaide at Coopers Stadium – 10.30am

Saturday March 20
Woodville-West Torrens v Adelaide at Thebarton Oval – 9.30am (Reserves v PAOC at 12pm)

Friday March 26
Port Adelaide v Adelaide at Alberton Oval – 5pm

I'm pretty sure I recall one of the line coaches recently saying that we will be playing 2 games against port on the same day. One team will be best 22 and the other sanfl/depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More time in the gym? The kid has put on over 10 kg in the offseason!

Yup, and probably needs another 10 kg on top of that. Gollant was around 20-25 kg under where he should be when we drafted him.

Yup, and probably needs another 10 kg on top of that. Gollant was around 20-25 kg under where he should be when we drafted him.
Agreed, but probably 5-10kg for me. He certainly looked better, but still quite gangly and would get really easily worked off the ball at AFL level.

At 191cm i'd say his goal weight should definitely have a 9 in the front of it!

So just to confirm we got Sam Berry with the direct pick we received from the Brad Crouch Compo right?

Hmm, if so that's gonna be fun watching that play out!

Disagree, elite endurance, elite defensive pressure, efficient ball user with plenty of footy smarts just starting to come into his own now he seems to be over his injuries and having put on size. Worth remembering Neddy hasn't played a lot of footy in more recent times also.

He’s always posted big numbers in terms of the amount of ground he covers and his defensive pressure, think about his first couple of games at AFL level, and of course his running capacity was mythical when we drafted him.

The (fair) knock on McHenry to date was that he hadn’t figured out how to translate this effort into impact on the game.

I think that’s what I liked the most about his performance on Saturday. Impact. Nearly every time the ball hit the deck he seemed to be involved in a productive way. I wouldn’t be be surprised if he had more touches than anyone else across the 4 quarters. Positive signs.

He’s always posted big numbers in terms of the amount of ground he covers and his defensive pressure, think about his first couple of games at AFL level, and of course his running capacity was mythical when we drafted him.

The (fair) knock on McHenry to date was that he hadn’t figured out how to translate this effort into impact on the game.

I think that’s what I liked the most about his performance on Saturday. Impact. Nearly every time the ball hit the deck he seemed to be involved in a productive way. I wouldn’t be be surprised if he had more touches than anyone else across the 4 quarters. Positive signs.

I would be very surprised, and in a good way, if McHenry did. Hately and Crouch probably racked up 27-30 disps without any genuine dramas that game.

The good thing about McHenry is everytime he was involved, something happened, good or bad. He certainly didn't waste any opportunities to catch the eye. Pedlar was the same as well in that regard. It's a very positive sign for Ned.

Unlike someone like Hately/Crouch where the only real time you notice them is when something goes wrong.

I have to say after watching the internal trial, Thilthorpe looks the goods, mobile for a big lad.
THB Thilthorpe is the kind of player who reads like he was built in a computer game.

Height 6'6"
Weight: 102kg
Endurance: Elite
Contested Marking: Elite
Below the knees: Clean
Skills: Strong and Duel Sided

Its actually bonkers just how many tools he has at his disposal. Now its just a matter of watching him put it all together!

Back