Toast 2021 Leadership Group - Heppell (captain), Hurley, Merrett, McGrath (joint vice-captains)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
1611131146501.png

Heppell Captain.

Leadership group Hurley, Merrett and McGrath.

Shook.

Last edited by a moderator:

McDonalds

Rookie
Jul 17, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I did it and it was pretty painless (though not for XC)...
Thanks! I tried to make it pretty quick and painless. I originally included Paul Brasher and Lindsay Tanner. But both are so beige that it made the survey alot more painful.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks! I tried to make it pretty quick and painless. I originally included Paul Brasher and Lindsay Tanner. But both are so beige that it made the survey alot more painful.
Why did you leave Dodoro out?.and Richardson for that matter?

I would have enjoyed that extra.minute.:)

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't mean to be an jerk, but why are Saad and Ridley's names being thrown into the hat? What examples of leadership have they shown? If it's because they show some dedication on the field, then I'm afraid to say some people here are confusing talent with leadership. I don't want the bestest, toughest campaigner to be captain. I want the best leader to be captain. If said player is a tough campaigner, fine. If not, fine. As long as they lead, on AND off the field.

Not sure about Ridley, I think he's one for the future but not for now.

Saad comes across as a guy who gives 100% each and every game, no matter how the team is playing, seems willing to play whatever role is needed for the team, and is always prepared to an elite standard.

If Heppell isn't going to be Captain in 2021 (and if he's not fully fit, I'd say he should stand aside) then we'd be looking at Shiel / Smith / Saad or maybe Merrett as potential interim Captains, given McGrath is the obvious long-term one.

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Saad comes across as a guy who gives 100% each and every game, no matter how the team is playing, seems willing to play whatever role is needed for the team, and is always prepared to an elite standard.

Hmmm, again my point being, is that leadership though? Or just a strong work ethic? Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing from a player, however I don't feel that this is a satisfactory criteria alone for looking at leaders.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hmmm, again my point being, is that leadership though? Or just a strong work ethic? Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing from a player, however I don't feel that this is a satisfactory criteria alone for looking at leaders.

Looking at the leaders we've had over the years, a strong work ethic and willingness to compete might just be what they need.

McDonalds

Rookie
Jul 17, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Why did you leave Dodoro out?.and Richardson for that matter?

I would have enjoyed that extra.minute.:)
I did consider adding them in. But felt as though they didn't have as much name recognition as the others aaand it did start to get a smidge long.

I also just want to put a note to everyone to say thank you for filling out the survey, and thanks for the positive feedback here.

On some other sites, people are upset with the format - It's just for fun, and I just want to get everyone's opinion.

McDonalds

Rookie
Jul 17, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi all,

I conducted a (very unscientific) survey with different Essendon supporters from around the web over the past couple of days

The results are in and available to see here: https://imgur.com/gallery/5zaJ3Re 6

1.) It’s not a masterpiece
2.) It’s just for fun
3.) It’s not scientific at all!

I hope you enjoy reading the results as much as I enjoyed putting it together.

Go Dons

Hi all,

I conducted a (very unscientific) survey with different Essendon supporters from around the web over the past couple of days

The results are in and available to see here: https://imgur.com/gallery/5zaJ3Re 6

2.) It’s just for fun

Go Dons
So what else do you do for fun?

staaation

All Australian
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Looking at the leaders we've had over the years, a strong work ethic and willingness to compete might just be what they need.
if you think Heppell and Jobe have lacked either of those things you're out of your mind lol

edit: I just scrolled up and saw the "if not heppell" disclaimer so fair enough BUT surely I can't be expected to read before I post replies

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi all,

2.) It’s just for fun

Go Dons
It wasn't remotely difficult to use but for some reason i found the ranking scales/tick boxes counter intuitive.Maybe they are the other way around in these things normally?

Interesting enough results though :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of polls, I might put one in this thread. BigFooty's very own Essendon leadership group. But idk who the options should be. 🤔

I think the important parameters (aside from character traits and stuff that we can't analyse because we don't know them personally..) are probably maturity and being present in main training with the group, so not frequently injured. Also going to exclude anyone who hasn't debuted yet.

.... and between those parameters there's * all left.

Merrett, Walla, Shiel, Saad? Or some 22-23 year olds... that brings in McGrath. He's going on 100 games early next year... that was quick.

18-22, 23-27, 28+, Contracted, Out of Contract*

Drafted:
Hooker (31, hip/calf)
Hurley (30, shoulder)
Zaharakis (30, quad)
Heppell (28, foot/ankle)

Daniher* (26, OP)
Gleeson* (26, ankle)
Merrett (25)
Fantasia (25, hip/quad/hamstring/calf)

Ambrose (29, foot)
Langford* (23)
Laverde (24, ankle/etc)
Parish (23)
Francis (23)
Redman (23)
McDonald-Tipungwuti (27)

McGrath* (22)
Ridley* (21)
Clarke (22)
Draper (22, ACL)
Zerk-Thatcher (22)

Guelfi (23)
Mosquito* (20, ACL)
Ham* (21)

Snelling* (23)
Cahill (19)
Townsend* (27)

Traded to Essendon:
Stewart* (26, OP)
Saad* (26)
Smith (27, knees)
Stringer (26, ankle)
Shiel (28)
Cutler* (25)

Phillips* (29)

Speaking of polls, I might put one in this thread. BigFooty's very own Essendon leadership group. But idk who the options should be. 🤔

I think the important parameters (aside from character traits and stuff that we can't analyse because we don't know them personally..) are probably maturity and being present in main training with the group, so not frequently injured. Also going to exclude anyone who hasn't debuted yet.

.... and between those parameters there's fu** all left.

Merrett, Walla, Shiel, Saad? Or some 22-23 year olds... that brings in McGrath. He's going on 100 games early next year... that was quick.

Drafted:
Hooker (31, hip/calf)
Hurley (30, shoulder)
Zaharakis (30, quad)
Heppell (28, foot/ankle)

Daniher* (26, OP)
Gleeson* (26, ankle)
Merrett (25)

Ambrose (29, foot)
Langford* (23)
Laverde (24, ankle/etc)
Parish (23)
Francis (23)
Redman (23)
McDonald-Tipungwuti (27)

McGrath* (22)
Ridley* (21)
Clarke (22)
Draper (22, ACL)
Zerk-Thatcher (22)

Guelfi (23)
Mosquito* (20, ACL)
Ham* (21)

Snelling* (23)
Cahill (19)
Townsend* (27)

Traded to Essendon:
Stewart* (26, OP)
Saad* (26)
Smith (27, knees)
Stringer (26, ankle)
Shiel (28)
Cutler* (25)

Phillips* (29)
* me - Langford should be the captain.

nipst@r

All Australian
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
fu** me - Langford should be the captain.
I think let Dyson do it again next year if he wants it. Going to a tough year and think he will step up. After that Langford, parish, Ridley, draper, McGrath are going to take us forward. So I'd be leaning towards langford or parish. Those 2 Seem to have the most composure, calmness and feel for the big moments. McGrath is a little haphazard for me and can instead focus on being a star, bringing a bit more X factor.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

.... and between those parameters there's fu** all left.

Drafted:
Hooker (31, hip/calf)
Hurley (30, shoulder)
Zaharakis (30, quad)
Heppell (28, foot/ankle)

Daniher* (26, OP)
Gleeson* (26, ankle)
Merrett (25)

Ambrose (29, foot)
Langford* (23)
Laverde (24, ankle/etc)
Parish (23)
Francis (23)
Redman (23)
McDonald-Tipungwuti (27)

McGrath* (22)
Ridley* (21)
Clarke (22)
Draper (22, ACL)
Zerk-Thatcher (22)

Guelfi (23)
Mosquito* (20, ACL)
Ham* (21)

Snelling* (23)
Cahill (19)
Townsend* (27)

Traded to Essendon:
Stewart* (26, OP)
Saad* (26)
Smith (27, knees)
Stringer (26, ankle)
Shiel (28)
Cutler* (25)

Phillips* (29)
Urgh. Slim pickings.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I think let Dyson do it again next year if he wants it. Going to a tough year and think he will step up. After that Langford, parish, Ridley, draper, McGrath are going to take us forward. So I'd be leaning towards langford or parish. Those 2 Seem to have the most composure, calmness and feel for the big moments. McGrath is a little haphazard for me and can instead focus on being a star, bringing a bit more X factor.
McGrath will be the Captain. Named Captain of the AFL's 22 under 22 todays as well.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Hi all,

2.) It’s just for fun

Go Dons
Send it to the club

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Assuming we go for a leadership group of 5 again:
I'd go with 3 blokes in their prime, 1 older head and 1 emerging leader.
So:
Captain: Heppell (no one else to move it onto right now)
The rest: Hurley, Merrett, Shiel and McGrath.

It would be good if we had someone up forward that we could nominate but I'm struggling to come up with a name that I would like. Maybe Tippa as a left field option but seems the quieter type that wouldn't really relish leadership role. I just realised they might put Zaka in as well. I wouldn't but looking at the list of names he might be a strong chance.

I think its still too soon for Ridley and Draper who have only just emerged as players this year. Let them focus on their footy. I don't know if anyone out of Langford, Parish or Saad might be the type - so maybe some left field options there.

Overall its a list that doesn't have strong leadership. We are going to need some young blokes to step up in the future. I do agree with the majority view that McGrath will be captain at some point and I think now's the time to introduce him to the leadership group to start getting that experience.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I was probably a bit premature in pumping up McGrath. I am concerned about what we lose in leadership if Heppell can't get his body right though.

I thought Hurley did a decent job of the captaincy during the back end of the year, and have ghought previously that he would make a good Captain. I would hope the stories about being upset over TBell's last game were nothing more than stories. It doesn't speak well for a leader that those kinds of differences find their expression anywhere but the coach's office. Disappointing if true.

I agree with blitzer's list, but I feel like Saad needs to be in the group. At whose expense, I'm not sure. If Hurley did express his anger about the decision to the playing group, I feel like it should be Hurley out, Saad in.

Back