News 2021 Leadership Group

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Love the addition of Darcy.

Interesting that Rusty is still in there. Do as I say, not as I do I suppose. ;)

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why? He's shown no signs of slowing down (ie still in All-Australian contention), is our best footy mind and knows what it takes to be successful as much as anyone on the list.
Well he has not been playing well in finals and by next year it might be best if he focusses on the last few years of his career. We need to breed another leader otherwise it will have to skip a generation. Howe and Tay will be too old if Pendles keeps hanging on.

Why? He's shown no signs of slowing down (ie still in All-Australian contention), is our best footy mind and knows what it takes to be successful as much as anyone on the list.
Think its more to do with having a change to lead the new generation. Maybe 1 more year.

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
How is he quirky? Peter was a bit of a rebel.

Peter studied law then established a mining biz in the USA - have only spoken with him a couple of times, and he exudes command presence. His ‘rebelliousness’ included adopting a hard edge to contract negotiations and hurling his runners-up medal away.

Darcy is knocking out a B.Com at Melb from memory, presents publicly as a gentler character than his Dad, cuts his teammates’ hair, and is playful on a variety of social media. Reminds me of my own son in many respects (although my son remains a cost centre and won’t be AA).

Should have written ‘playful’ rather than ‘quirky’ because it can be misinterpreted as diminishing. Think Darce is a great player and looks to be very good person.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought that Sidebottom might get the arse.

Why, because he made a mistake? Don't we all make them? I'd have thought the true test of leadership is how you respond to them rather than the actual making of them.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why, because he made a mistake? Don't we all make them? I'd have thought the true test of leadership is how you respond to them rather than the actual making of them.

it was more than a mistake on multiple levels... and then he took several weeks off for the birth of his child.

IMO he should’ve been demoted for 12 months... to send a message to the group that the position comes with responsibility and accountability

it was more than a mistake on multiple levels... and then he took several weeks off for the birth of his child.

IMO he should’ve been demoted for 12 months... to send a message to the group that the position comes with responsibility and accountability

As anyone would have. Family comes first.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
As anyone would have. Family comes first.

I disagree in the context of the season and the hubs. Nothing stopping his partner from having the child in QLD.

That way he’d be there.

Older, leadership players who are on 500k plus should only miss several weeks of footy in unavoidable circumstances

And off the back of his Williamstown effort... he owed the group more

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

It was the 1 incident. Had a few sherbets and made bad calls.

Having time off for the birth of his child has zero bearing on this IMHO. It's the 21st century after all.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I disagree in the context of the season and the hubs. Nothing stopping his partner from having the child in QLD.

That way he’d be there.

Older, leadership players who are on 500k plus should only miss several weeks of footy in unavoidable circumstances

And off the back of his Williamstown effort... he owed the group more

I heard a rumour the club duct taped her knees together to try and delay the birth.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It was the 1 incident. Had a few sherbets and made bad calls.

Having time off for the birth of his child has zero bearing on this IMHO. It's the 21st century after all.

Semantics... but being out of curfew was the first bad decision, heading to wells house the next, drinking so much another bad decision, walking around Willy with his shirt off ditto.

Like an episode of air crash investigations... several consecutive poor decisions led to the wreckage that was

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can’t argue with that. But once you’re a captain, you’ll always be regarded as a ‘captain’ whether you have the official title.
But it would be helpful to have a younger Captain to at least start while Pendles is still there so he can assist where needed.
Anyway, either way not a big deal.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Sidey shouldn't be there. He copped an AFL suspension for inexplicable behaviour. If a younger player did what Sidey did, we'd put it down to immaturity. That a bloke of his experience could get himself so blind drunk that he didn't know where he was or what he was doing is inexcusable. That's not leadership. He should have stood himself down.

Back