FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
One of my grandsons is changing schools this year ie. from Brisbane State High to St. Laurence's College, he found out yesterday at his pre enrolment interview that Harry Sharp will be attending the school this year, I told the grandson to get on him for the win in the school cross country, and 800/1500 meter wins at the athletics carnival.

None of the TAB or corporate bookmakers have a market :(

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Laurie’s is turning in to, if it already isn’t, Brisbane’s top AFL private school.

What grades would Hodge’s boys be in this year?
Yer, he was told that the Lions academy occasionally train there and that they do have an AFL program, not the reason the grandson is going there though.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I assume the school had an oval in the same place prior to building the Children's Hospital?
No oval where the children’s hospital is. That used to be a row of shops.

I haven’t been back since I finished in 1990, but there used to be an oval and cricket nets below the main building, which sat atop the cliff.

That would possibly be on top of the multi-storey car park now.

The driveway into the car park used to be the bottom of the back driveway up the school, where the athletics team used to do hill sprints.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Yer, he was told that the Lions academy occasionally train there and that they do have an AFL program, not the reason the grandson is going there though.
I did see photos on the academies FB page, that the academy did do their preseason athletic testing in Laurie’s hall.

They say the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is 2 weeks........for DAD....2 months at least :)

Much prefer the crewcut over some of the monstrosities fielded over the past couple of years.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They say the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is 2 weeks........for DAD....2 months at least :)
Geez Archie is a real unit now.

Does anyone think there's any chance of him having a career in the Seniors ?

We've persisted with him for many years. I felt he had improved slightly in the games he played last year , but not enough to keep him once his contract is up.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I loved seeing where the players live etc... cant see that it would be too hard to go to a different player each week to do a Cribs type segment again. Doesn't need to tell us the suburb, just their home and perhaps what car they drive.... and a short interview of their journey to the Lions.

...I also missed seeing their holiday photos this year, not that they were able to go far, but its still interesting and another side of our players.

Could also get a different player each week to do the above or some other interesting facet of being a Lion. They would know all about social media.

....but put it all on the Lions website so we can ALL see it. This (BF) is the only social media stuff I do, don't go on FB or IG

..just my thoughts anyway..
I follow a few of the players on instagram and they all had their photos there of their off season trip and Lacie Neale cutting Hugh's hair, unlike the normal footy off seasons it seemed the Lions players all took their wives and girlfriends with them.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As someone who spent a career in marketing and at the level that set up and worked with AFL and NRL sponsorships and followed the research from our activities the ting that supporters craved most was knowing a little bit extra about the players that the general public didn't. Not an invasion of privacy type stuff just little things like their nick name, the type of dog then have, what they do in their spare time. Members regarded the extra bits of information as a value add to their membership. Players are protected by their contracts to how much and what and time dependancies for "club and sponsorship related activities" and it can be as little as 6 hours a season. It's not a great impost on the players.

Best one ever I reckon was Harries Andrews driving Hugh and Berry to their first training session asking them if the had nicknames and Hugh said no. Then on the way home Harris asked them the same and Hugh McLuggage admitted he had just been called Bags. That was a crack up.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As someone who spent a career in marketing and at the level that set up and worked with AFL and NRL sponsorships and followed the research from our activities the ting that supporters craved most was knowing a little bit extra about the players that the general public didn't. Not an invasion of privacy type stuff just little things like their nick name, the type of dog then have, what they do in their spare time. Members regarded the extra bits of information as a value add to their membership. Players are protected by their contracts to how much and what and time dependancies for "club and sponsorship related activities" and it can be as little as 6 hours a season. It's not a great impost on the players.

Best one ever I reckon was Harries Andrews driving Hugh and Berry to their first training session asking them if the had nicknames and Hugh said no. Then on the way home Harris asked them the same and Hugh McLuggage admitted he had just been called Bags. That was a crack up.

Not disputing your expertise Clarky but for me I couldn't care less about that stuff. I want to know football stuff. Who is training well or not, any position changes, where have specific players improved etc and then during the season how the reserves are going. In 2019 I watched every reserves game on tape so and even still I would not have minded reading the coaches perspective on the games.

Not disputing your expertise Clarky but for me I couldn't care less about that stuff. I want to know football stuff. Who is training well or not, any position changes, where have specific players improved etc and then during the season how the reserves are going. In 2019 I watched every reserves game on tape so and even still I would not have minded reading the coaches perspective on the games.
I think he's suggesting you're an exception, not the rule, which I think you'd acknowledge is likely to be the case.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think he's suggesting you're an exception, not the rule, which I think you'd acknowledge is likely to be the case.
For me it doesnt matter how good or bad a job the club does with everything, there will always be someone who isnt happy with them for some reason. I've learned over the years to put in your best effort with what you got at the time & if that doesnt please everyone, I can live with it providing its my best effort.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Fair in regards to the reserves but I think most members would be interested in hearing about how their team are going in the offseason and who to look forward to seeing next season.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fair in regards to the reserves but I think most members would be interested in hearing about how their team are going in the offseason and who to look forward to seeing next season.
A short text report on how 4 or 5 reserves went each game or how training has been going would personally be a lot more interesting than random insta photos of training

A short text report on how 4 or 5 reserves went each game or how training has been going would personally be a lot more interesting than random insta photos of training
Again, we need to bear in mind that people on here are generally the more analytical fan. The majority of fans don't think past whether the team is winning of losing and certainly don't don't give the reserves team much more than a passing thought. Where should the club focus it's efforts given it's lack or resources in that area.

Now, the question of the setup within the club as to how it's structured the social stuff is another issue. But although I'd like to see more nitty gritty stuff, it's not what is going to engage most fans.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They have a better tutoring program according to the research my son has done.
Pretty much every private school will have more resources than any state school and consequently they'll be able to offer more individual focus. I was speaking only in terms of reputation, and the valuable experience of being around both sexes during adolescence.

Does anyone though if the East-Coast Competition will be recorded live and be able to watch on Youtube similar to how the NEAFL was done a couple of years ago cause that was awesome getting to watch the reserves perform even though the level of competition was pretty low.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm guessing the AFL sacking Whiting and then only temporarily (it would seem) re-hiring has impacted any information coming out of the club.

Maybe they'll start doing the Roar Deal again when the AFLW is back and give us some info on the AFL mens

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Again, we need to bear in mind that people on here are generally the more analytical fan. The majority of fans don't think past whether the team is winning of losing and certainly don't don't give the reserves team much more than a passing thought. Where should the club focus it's efforts given it's lack or resources in that area.

Now, the question of the setup within the club as to how it's structured the social stuff is another issue. But although I'd like to see more nitty gritty stuff, it's not what is going to engage most fans.
Surely if it is good enough for 17 other clubs, then it should be for ours too i.e. reserves reports, or does the market research support the notion that the Lions fans are so fickle that they don't want reserves reports (which an assistant such as Zane Littlejohn or Mitch Hahn or whoever could get in front of a camera as they used to do for 5 mins and just give us an update).

IMO, if the club or the people within it are so out of touch with pretty much every other team sport's engagement of fans around the world, then they should really be stepping aside as they obviously aren't fit to do the job.

I know the club is generally full of excuses but this one just won't wash. Given Patty K's inside knowledge of the club, he even admitted the club was only interested in building content / social media that benefits the club's sponsors. If that is really the case, then the club really has lost touch.

Back