2021 Lions Off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guessing the AFL sacking Whiting and then only temporarily (it would seem) re-hiring has impacted any information coming out of the club.

Maybe they'll start doing the Roar Deal again when the AFLW is back and give us some info on the AFL mens
Didn’t know Whiting was sacked.

Last I heard/read was he was on holidays.

Didn’t know Whiting was sacked.

Last I heard/read was he was on holidays.

I think he got sacked early on last season before getting re-hiring temp during that season due to the AFL Bubble in QLD.

I don't know though if he got re-hired for the upcoming 2021 season but I hope he is cause he is such a good writer for football news in QLD for Lions & Suns.

Well I saw on Twitter yesterday that the Lions are advertising for a new Digital Media Coordinator so hopefully that may improve things.

Courtney McDonnell posted it and, looking through her feed, I think she's been a one person show in that space since the Covid cut backs and there were at least 4 people involved in producing digital and social media content prior to that.

Surely if it is good enough for 17 other clubs, then it should be for ours too i.e. reserves reports, or does the market research support the notion that the Lions fans are so fickle that they don't want reserves reports (which an assistant such as Zane Littlejohn or Mitch Hahn or whoever could get in front of a camera as they used to do for 5 mins and just give us an update).

IMO, if the club or the people within it are so out of touch with pretty much every other team sport's engagement of fans around the world, then they should really be stepping aside as they obviously aren't fit to do the job.

I know the club is generally full of excuses but this one just won't wash. Given Patty K's inside knowledge of the club, he even admitted the club was only interested in building content / social media that benefits the club's sponsors. If that is really the case, then the club really has lost touch.

I'm guessing you really didn't read my entire post. I did say that the decision to funnel resources away for fan-focused social media and towards sponsors-focused content was a different matter. And it's a decision that on the surface I don't agree with.

What I was saying (in my reply to KissKiss ) is that the fan-focused content that does come out of the club is more likely to be tailored toward the general fan and not towards the kind of rabid obsessives on somewhere like this place. Again, most of what comes out isn't my cup of tea, but it probably is for the average fan.

But as always, I'm willing to accept there may be something we don't know. We know that club has been asked to reduce operating costs. However, we've retained more coaches than most club (and used them as part of the academy) - perhaps we've had to sacrifice that salary from social media and keep it "on-field". I don't know, but I wont pretend to.

I think he got sacked early on last season before getting re-hiring temp during that season due to the AFL Bubble in QLD.

I don't know though if he got re-hired for the upcoming 2021 season but I hope he is cause he is such a good writer for football news in QLD for Lions & Suns.

He is back full time with afl.com

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think he's suggesting you're an exception, not the rule, which I think you'd acknowledge is likely to be the case.

Actually I think most on here would be aligned with Quigley. Who’s training well who’s not, what positions they’re are in etc. more football related please.

I think the inherent problem with Lions coverage is naturally that our low billing in the Brisbane market means there is very little media attention given to us. If you're a fan of any of the big Victorian clubs or any club in WA or SA, you probably don't need to see a heap on social media as there are almost-daily newspaper articles, radio interviews, TV spots etc.

Unfortunately up here though, especially in the off-season, you can easily go weeks without hearing anything about the club anywhere in the media.

Part of the problem is that the Courier Mail doesn't have an AFL journo anymore since Hammo and Greg Davis took redundancies, and that was one of the very few avenues fans had into the club.

I understand the sentiment among many that this stuff doesn't matter too much, and there is an air of truth to it in that it isn't likely to ever impact wins and losses, but for many following a footy team becomes about much more than wins and losses. And as is true with anything that develops a strong following, people want more and more access to feel more involved with the thing they love.

Looking at bands for example, you can see this maybe most clearly with The Beatles. Yes, people could have just been happy with the records The Beatles made - after all, it is just about the music for them in the same way it is just about wins and losses for us, and without the music there would be nothing to talk about. But for many, their love of the band was so strong that they have bought book after book offering new insights into the story, and countless documentaries have been made and continue to be made decades on. There seems to be an almost insatiable hunger for more stories, more information, more access to something that so many have come to love.

And this is not just true for a band that big and culturally important - just about any band, TV show, film franchise, product etc that has developed a strong following has fans craving any information they can find. The desire for access to consume more and more of the thing you love is evident in so many areas, and so I'm a little surprised that some on here are acting like it is irrelevant or even surprising.

And with no general media coverage for large parts of the year (and relatively little even in-season), Lions fans are largely restricted to social media and forums like this to try to grow their passion in that way.

It's a shame to think about all the stories that have gone untold because it was deemed the interest probably just wasn't there. I read Konrad Marshall's book Yellow & Black (documenting Richmond's 2017 flag) and was blown away by the access it gave into the club and the individuals, and the history it was able to document that otherwise would have gone missing. The idea of something that could take fans that far inside each part of a club is I think what many people are craving.

Whether or not it's commercially viable to offer that is a different question. Are there enough Lions fans who are hungry for it to justify it? Or by nature of us all choosing (or being born into) an off-Broadway club as one of our major passions, do we just have to live with the fact that we won't ever have the access, insights, and avenue we are hoping for?

I'm not really sure. It's a bigger question than whoever the club has currently employed in its media team though, and much more to do with the club's wholistic media and engagement strategy from the top down.

Regardless, I think it's hard to argue that everything is fine when fans arguably had more insight and access to the club 20 years ago in the premiership era (through regular newspaper columns to start with, and on top of that a Lions-dedicated weekend show on Channel Ten) than we do in 2021. This is despite the fact that awareness of the importance of engagement has risen exponentially and avenues to foster engagement have too in that time.

Regardless, I think it's hard to argue that everything is fine when fans arguably had more insight and access to the club 20 years ago in the premiership era (through regular newspaper columns to start with, and on top of that a Lions-dedicated weekend show on Channel Ten) than we do in 2021. This is despite the fact that awareness of the importance of engagement has risen exponentially and avenues to foster engagement have too in that time.

Not to mention the Lions Tale (club paper that was sent out to members once per month) and Season Guide's and Post Season Magazines that the club produced and sent out to Members each year up until about the late 2000's. I still have every single one, no idea what I'll ever do with them, but you're right, the content back in the late 90's and early 00's was excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Sharp just lapped Berry & McLuggage in the 3 ker at Nudgee earlier today. Hope he can get the footy as good as he runs....WHAT AN ATHLETE!!!
Alright, the club HAS to publish the time, because no other club tt champion will ever come close.

Alright, the club HAS to publish the time, because no other club tt champion will ever come close.
Most other clubs only run 2k’rs these days I think 🤔 so unless they go back to 3k then you r right.
But he is an amazing runner as I said in a post about a week ago.
I think they were timed runs that day and Tom Berry was running second In his group that day (who has improved his running out of site) and Sharp was atleast half the oval in front after 2 laps of the oval.

The club doesn't have to do s--t if it doesn't want to. In saying that, I suspect that they will get some mileage out of it for sure.
You mean the club doesn't do shyt because it is run by Dinosaurs lacking basic 21st century media savvy.

You mean the club doesn't do shyt because it is run by Dinosaurs lacking basic 21st century media savvy.
Probably right with that statement.....maybe they will get it right one day if they identify social media as important. With the barrage of criticism on this forum they are obviously not giving some of its members what they want. Maybe someone from the club reads Big Footy and could deliver a message back to the people who have the power to change things for the better.....OR.....maybe not. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Probably right with that statement.....maybe they will get it right one day if they identify social media as important. With the barrage of criticism on this forum they are obviously not giving some of its members what they want. Maybe someone from the club reads Big Footy and could deliver a message back to the people who have the power to change things for the better.....OR.....maybe not. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We use to have a Lions_Insider poster but sadly that disappeared along with insights those around here absolutely appreciated and enjoyed. Unless Lions_Insider is masquerading as Mighty Lions....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back