2021 Lions Off-season

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What's his pace like though? Doesn't have to be a speed demon but something like Gaff would be fine. Would be perfect on the wing if he can actually play footy. Gaff is a natural footballer who runs to the right spots and someone he should model himself on.
Also running capacity doesn't mean squat if you don't use it. We had elite endurance runners like Close and Robertson but they were barely C graders.

What's his pace like though? Doesn't have to be a speed demon but something like Gaff would be fine. Would be perfect on the wing if he can actually play footy. Gaff is a natural footballer who runs to the right spots and someone he should model himself on.
Although we tend to play our skinny side winger on the inside which is something Gaff is not particularly adept.
But his ability to run and find space is something, we as a team sorely lack.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Although we tend to play our skinny side winger on the inside which is something Gaff is not particularly adept.
If Sharp's any good hard to see him being up to speed inside 2 or 3 years though isn't it .

Just trying to be realistic.

countryVicLion

Senior List
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I want to see the kid play first before jumping on the hype train.

And he’s got to hit the weights and eat some Maccas.

He played fine when I watched him jump over my local lad here, screamer 2 deep landed on his feet and ran on, kicking a goal outside 50, boy can play just now hope he can adjust to men

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I expect Sharp would predominantly play on the Northern, Vulture Street wing, where MRobbo normally plays.

If I’ve heard (or read) right in the past, the Northern wing is actually longer than the Southern wing, as the Gabba isn’t a true oval.

Which is why the Lions tend to play down the Southern wing more often.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I expect Sharp would predominantly play on the Northern, Vulture Street wing, where MRobbo normally plays.

If I’ve heard (or read) right in the past, the Northern wing is actually longer than the Southern wing, as the Gabba isn’t a true oval.

Which is why the Lions tend to play down the Southern wing more often.
Interesting discussion on Sharp who will unlikely play this year in the seniors.
With Covid 19 still hanging around will he actually play even in the two's seeing he is still mixing with general public at high school.

briztoon the main reason the Lions and every other team play mainly down the Southern wing is that is where the interchange bench is located
This applies (interchange bench side) to all grounds for many years now.
However i believe their was a slight change in 2020
This year a further reduction from 90 to 75 may see a further change as to favoring one wing side
I personally believe 60 is about the right balance.
When coaches stop replacing players who kick a goal that is when we are getting close to the correct number

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting discussion on Sharp who will unlikely play this year in the seniors.
With Covid 19 still hanging around will he actually play even in the two's seeing he is still mixing with general public at high school.

briztoon the main reason the Lions and every other team play mainly down the Southern wing is that is where the interchange bench is located
This applies (interchange bench side) to all grounds for many years now.
However i believe their was a slight change in 2020
This year a further reduction from 90 to 75 may see a further change as to favoring one wing side
I personally believe 60 is about the right balance.
When coaches stop replacing players who kick a goal that is when we are getting close to the correct number
Yes i agree, 60 maybe even slightly less seems about right, game likely to open up with player fatigue, we might even start seeing scores over a 100, like the old days

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There will be a balance point with interchanges and game styles. Coaches will always try and play it safe with defense, and at some point it will tip too few rotations will force a coach into full flood mode. Which hopefully doesnt drive us into full zones required.

I hope they keep dropping them down but dont overreact when a coach drastically changes style to combat it

I see some of the 2021 merch has been launched on the website, including 2021 jerseys.

If the renders are anything to go by it looks like we're getting a watermark again, the sponsor branding is smaller and the lion is going to sit a little higher up too. It looks a little more 'together' than the 2020 design if that makes sense...

1611020814534.png

edit: same with the clash and away:

1611021015420.png

1611021078273.png

Last edited:
Reduced blue section and the Lion sitting more towards the chest is A+ for me. Having the Lion logo sitting higher on the chest reminds me of the Voss years.

Reduced blue section and the Lion sitting more towards the chest is A+ for me. Having the Lion logo sitting higher on the chest reminds me of the Voss years.
The lion also looks to be slightly smaller to my eye.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Not a fan of the Lion over the V on the white clash jumper.

Personally I’d prefer a small Lion logo over the right breast where the AFL patch is, and move the AFL patch to where the NEDS patch is. The neds patch could be moved to the sleeves.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
golly just looking at the 2020 ones..

the home and away have different placements for the changing of the colours :eek: or is that just my imagination.

The use of renders for 2021 also make it look a lot more sleek this year. Agree with other comments, like the smaller sponsors but I don't mind the lion being slightly smaller.

also I like the updated Classic logo :D

Came here to say the same thing. Lion on the chest would be a massive tick !

Looks a bit like a 2001 jumper.. coincidence ?! :)

Last edited:
Not a fan of the Lion over the V on the white clash jumper.

Personally I’d prefer a small Lion logo over the right breast where the AFL patch is, and move the AFL patch to where the NEDS patch is. The neds patch could be moved to the sleeves.

Sleeves?

I think you'll find that there's not much wiggle room in terms of positions for the AFL logo and sponsors logos on all AFL guernseys.

Back