2021 Lions Off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Another good interview from Rayner.
He speaks well and is a likable type on screen
Mentioned he is training with the midfield so that is encouraging.
Also a plug for Sharp so that will be encouraging for the young lad
Mentioned he left family earlier than usual over the break to get back training with the boys

Fagan is on record that he prefers a two ruck set up.

However, when we signed Daniher, Noble said in an interview that Fagan would (have to) adapt his game plan, to play three key forwards.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Fullarton comes in for McStay at some point this season, and plays that second ruck & key forward role.

Fagan is on record that he prefers a two ruck set up.

However, when we signed Daniher, Noble said in an interview that Fagan would (have to) adapt his game plan, to play three key forwards.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Fullarton comes in for McStay at some point this season, and plays that second ruck & key forward role.
Agree, I'd have the following players putting pressure on the current regular senior players, not necessarily a straight swap, some would involve a shuffle of roles-

Dan McStay > Tom Fullarton.
Mitch Robinson > Dev Robertson/Nakia Cockatoo/Tom Joyce.
Grant Birchall/Ryan Lester/Callum Ah Chee > Noah Answerth/James Madden/Jaxon Prior/Nakia Cockatoo.

The others I think could force their way in somewhere are Tom Berry and Marcus Adams.

I'm including K.Coleman, Daniher and Payne as start up 1st team round 1 players for this exercise.

Agree, I'd have the following players putting pressure on the current regular senior players, not necessarily a straight swap, some would involve a shuffle of roles-

Dan McStay > Tom Fullarton.
Mitch Robinson > Dev Robertson/Nakia Cockatoo/Tom Joyce.
Grant Birchall/Ryan Lester/Callum Ah Chee > Noah Answerth/James Madden/Jaxon Prior/Nakia Cockatoo.

The others I think could force their way in somewhere are Tom Berry and Marcus Adams.

I'm including K.Coleman, Daniher and Payne as start up 1st team round 1 players for this exercise.
I don’t believe Ah Chee is under pressure from any of the reserves.

I'd be happy with Rayner kicking somewhere between 15-30 goals (pending his forward split) but I really want to see more of him with the ball about 50-70m out. Think he looks very dangerous when we have him on the burst out of the middle delivering it forward (potentially even more so than Clugg sometimes who is elite at that assist territory)

I'd be happy with Rayner kicking somewhere between 15-30 goals (pending his forward split) but I really want to see more of him with the ball about 50-70m out. Think he looks very dangerous when we have him on the burst out of the middle delivering it forward (potentially even more so than Clugg sometimes who is elite at that assist territory)
And sometimes kicks better off his left than his right.

I see some of the 2021 merch has been launched on the website, including 2021 jerseys.

If the renders are anything to go by it looks like we're getting a watermark again, the sponsor branding is smaller and the lion is going to sit a little higher up too. It looks a little more 'together' than the 2020 design if that makes sense...

View attachment 1042786

edit: same with the clash and away:

View attachment 1042789
View attachment 1042790
Man that is a massive improvement!

Smaller lion - tick
Lion on chest - tick
Thinner collar - tick
Less yoke - tick.

Huge improvement all round.

Man of few words, Ely!
He sure is and he even had less words at the Draft Night Melbourne function on the night he was drafted, which is understandable given he'd only been drafted, his head no doubt spinning from the events of the night and then paraded on stage in front of 75 odd diehard Lions fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said all he needed to say!

"I'm going to hurt some opposition this year - all in BRAB name. "

Good to see my boy plotting the first AFL era decapitation of an opposition player.

Ely 2021

Good to see my boy plotting the first AFL era decapitation of an opposition player.

Ely 2021
I always liked the look of him from the first time I saw him play.

He looks a lot trimmer now. Doesn't like the cameras much, which is a good thing. Let's hope he can step it up a notch.

View attachment 1044620

Ely, Tom and Deven rounding out top5 in time trials.
There is going to be some serious competition for MRobbo, CEY spots this year.
I think both he and Dev have been told there is a spot up for grabs because both have trimmed down over the off-season and been running well.
Watch out Robbo.
Tom Fullarton is the other one that is running really well in the training I have seen.
Watch out Dan McStay.

good to have pressure on spots. Be interesting if Fagan changes the squads if no injury and do it on form alone.
if you have 2-3 bad weeks then someone else gets a turn.. Not just leave them in the squad as we winning.

good to have pressure on spots. Be interesting if Fagan changes the squads if no injury and do it on form alone.
if you have 2-3 bad weeks then someone else gets a turn.. Not just leave them in the squad as we winning.
Going off Rayner’s interview yesterday they are expecting a few changes throughout the year.
A bit of a rotational policy maybe?
I think that we have a deep enough squad now to be able to do it successfully with resting the older players when required. And bringing in some young and hungry faces to replace them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back