2021 Lions Off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

I will be surprised if Adams plays round one
Think he needs a good run in the VFL and when his chance comes in the seniors he has to play well enough to hold his spot
Not long to go till we find out how the coaches view our best 22 players
Lots of players fighting for a few spots so will be interesting to see who gets the nod.
Adams looked very ordinary Friday afternoon. Some half assed attempts and disposal was poor. Playing on Fullerton and Mcstay so not exactly world beaters. I will be very surprised given he has only just started back running again if he plays round 1.

Can’t remember where the previous discussion occurred, but these times are a wee bit faster than young Harry’s.

I wonder if these young lads are inspiring to be footy players though. Maybe Harry has a bigger build or just has more mass to carry. Harry's time was very good for a footballer.

I wonder if these young lads are inspiring to be footy players though. Maybe Harry has a bigger build or just has more mass to carry. Harry's time was very good for a footballer.
Not the point I was getting at. Believe it was Section 5 who was making the argument that it’s very hard to have a successful financial career in athletics.

Honestly Burgoyne would have embarrassed all 4 of our tall defenders so the race to single our Adam's is laughable to me. Why don't the same posters wax lyrical about his game again Tom Hawkins.

Getting games into Payne is all well and good but that doesn't mean he will be better than Adam who is only 27 and not about to retire.

At the moment Marcus Adam is the only one of our defenders who can go toe to toe with the bigger forwards. Obviously he needs to stay healthy to show that but our other guys can't do the job. Dizzy gets caught out and Payne is still a far way off being able to do the job and Harris as great as he is isn't suited to that role.

I like Adams but outside of the often cited Hawkins game, I’m not sure he has that much form for curbing gorilla forwards.

Stats are never the full story, but he’s actually shorter than Darcy and only a kilo heavier.

Marcus is probably a bit more of a natural power athlete than Darcy, but Darcy often beats the likes of Jeremy Cameron with smarts and discipline.

I think that’s a good thing for Marcus to not be tagged as a gorilla tamer only. His ability to play flanks and even forward is core to him getting picked IMO.

I know both of these guys (not personally) and can assure you that neither of them play footy.

Jude is actually the same age as Harry though, turning 19 this year, Callum’s about 21.

Both boys are amazing runners, but to run those times you can’t afford to carry the bodyweight that a young footballer needs to be physically competitive nor can you be involved in another sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BRISBANE LIONS

Whether it comes in Round 1 or later in the year, Ely Smith is set to be unleashed by the Lions at AFL level this season. Heading into his third year on the Lions’ list, inside midfielder Smith has significantly improved his aerobic capacity over the off-season after being challenged to develop his outside game. He recently told the club’s website: “I went home for the break for a couple of months and just got hooked into it, dieting pretty hard … It feels pretty good knowing that everyone is noticing (the hard work). It drives you to keep going throughout the season.”

Or they will be paying Polec 2 million a year to hit their minimum cap.

Nah, they'll be paying 1 million to Stephenson to keep him too.

He said that he is going to be super professional, train hard & be the best he can be at his new club.

Ummmm, perhaps he should've tried that approach at his first club 🤣 🤣

BRISBANE LIONS

Whether it comes in Round 1 or later in the year, Ely Smith is set to be unleashed by the Lions at AFL level this season. Heading into his third year on the Lions’ list, inside midfielder Smith has significantly improved his aerobic capacity over the off-season after being challenged to develop his outside game. He recently told the club’s website: “I went home for the break for a couple of months and just got hooked into it, dieting pretty hard … It feels pretty good knowing that everyone is noticing (the hard work). It drives you to keep going throughout the season.”
Certainly looks a little leaner in some of the recent photos, and was mentioned that he ran well in the 3km time trial, hope he gets a chance, especially in the practice matches and GWS game.

Hugh McCluggage: I Am Lion
https://www.lions.com.au/news/863891

My name is Hugh McCluggage and I’m here to let you know that I’ll be saying I am Lion for a while to come.

You are a big reason for that. We have the best fans in the competition and I’m absolutely thrilled to extend my contract with the Brisbane Lions until the end of 2024.

I was and will always remain humbled and honoured to get a chance to do something I love for a living.

But it isn’t quite how I imagined. From the outside as a kid I saw players, teams and I guess the senior coach.

It’s so much more than that. To me a football club means staff, members and fans and everyone’s family and friends. They can all say I am Lion. When you come from another State to play football these people, people like you, help to make you feel at home.

Success is what drives us, there is absolutely no doubt about that.

But it is also a special feeling knowing you are just a small part of something much bigger.

4ikh2H1A.jpg

Within the team Fages only ever asks for each player to perform their role, we don’t need individual heroics.

And as players we are all aware and grateful that everyone who says I am Lion has a role to play they are all important.

On gameday you see 22 players a bunch of coaches and a handful of trainers but a mountain of work has been done right back to the start of pre-season to get the team ready.

And just as much happens behind the scenes to put on the show. Then there’s your role and believe me it’s important. Ask any players the best thing about game day and they’ll tell you it’s the roar of the crowd.

It inspires us.

The Brisbane Lions gave me my start in the AFL and I will be eternally grateful for the faith they showed in me.

I feel very fortunate that I arrived when I did. We didn’t win a lot of games in the first couple of years but inside the four walls of our footy club I could sense something was building.

We couldn’t wait to bring that belief to life for the fans who supported us through the tough times.

ubBxVXTq.jpg

01:02MINS
McCluggage puts the icing on the cake
Brisbane midfielder Hugh McCluggage wraps up the qualifying final for his side.
Published on Oct 2, 2020, 10:32pm
The players became the best of friends because we saw in each other a shared commitment to make our Club powerful again.

We built incredible bonds with the coaches and support staff who make it their mission every day to help us be the best we can be.

And then when the wins started coming we discovered there’s no better feeling than achieving something with your mates, and for the people who supported you all the way.

Pre-seasons in Queensland can be brutal.

But we’ve grown to love them because they help us to improve.

The past couple of summers a large group of us have stuck around and trained together over our annual leave because we want to get fitter, faster, stronger and better.

The pain melts away when you see a mate busting his arse for the same reason you are, to give the Lions the best chance at success.

Those that had to head home to see loved ones blew us away with the condition they returned in. I can only imagine the commitment it took to train that hard alone without someone there pushing them along.

That’s what happens when you are part of a Brotherhood.

Yes, we’ve had a couple of good seasons now, but none of us are satisfied.

Everyone one of us will continue to do our bit to achieve ultimate success for our Club and we all know you will too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back