2021 Lions Off-season

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I worrying about Zorko he has the smarts and skills.. Although thought he lost a half a yard of pace last year. Still seems in rehab doing mostly laps from reports on here.
McCarthy into midfield is good although he has been another avenue to goal and marks the ball well inside 50.
Happy him and Rayner to tag team in and out of the forward line.
If Zorko not 100% fit do we play Kiddy instead?

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Why does there even need to a BS one line slogan?

It seems to be a recent phenomenon introduced by marketing people as an additional campaign to the typical marketing mix to increase fees.

Which footy admin sucker at the Lions fell for that?

'I am Lion'; give me a ****ing break :rolleyes:

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There's a very interesting passage in that article:
"Eric's probably a better runner than Joe and can get up and down the ground more, so he can play higher.

"I think Joe's a better close-to-goal forward and a really really good second ruckman, not just a makeshift second ruckman.

"If he's going to do that, which he probably will, he doesn't need to be running up and down the ground so much.

"They can complement each other. That's Eric's greatest strength and that's Joe's greatest strength, so where we can, we'll play them to their strengths."
So Fagan has a definite plan in mind - sit Joe at FF and rotate him with Oscar, while getting Hipwood (and McStay) to run up the ground. I had similar thoughts just after trade period. And Fagan is right in multiple senses about playing to strengths - not only is Hippy a better runner, he's also very good at kicking for goal outside 50, whereas Joe is more accurate from short range where he's a contested marking beast. If you go back to his 65 goal season in 2017, you can see Joe is an absolute stud from within 30-40m:

forum-18.png

McStay also did well last year running up the ground. He was more selective with his shots because he didn't have to be the focal point inside 50, and so he was more accurate. If both he and Hippy can drag defenders outside 50, that will free up a lot more room for Charlie and the other smalls to wreak havoc.

Why does there even need to a BS one line slogan?

It seems to be a recent phenomenon introduced by marketing people as an additional campaign to the typical marketing mix to increase fees.

Which footy admin sucker at the Lions fell for that?

'I am Lion'; give me a ****ing break :rolleyes:

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I worrying about Zorko he has the smarts and skills.. Although thought he lost a half a yard of pace last year. Still seems in rehab doing mostly laps from reports on here.
McCarthy into midfield is good although he has been another avenue to goal and marks the ball well inside 50.
Happy him and Rayner to tag team in and out of the forward line.
If Zorko not 100% fit do we play Kiddy instead?

I think you’ll find Zorko and McCarthy will swap roles this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you’ll find Zorko and McCarthy will swap roles this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Zorks spent the first half in the forward line in the intraclub last Friday and McCarthy definitely spent time in the middle.
First clearance of the game - Oscar to Rayner who kicks forward to Zorko who takes a mark and then squares the ball up to Daniher about 20 out slight angle. Daniher missed the set shot. But the whole play was good to watch from first bounce.

It looks more likely to be Rayner with he’s pace that is switching Zorko heard he’s been working on endurance
I don’t see any one person picking up the slack left by Zorko spending more time forward, I think it will be many.
Clugga, Berry, Robinson, Rayner, McCarthy, Bailey, Charlie, AhChee, Cockatoo and Starc are all capable of spending a bit more time on ball to pick up the slack.
The more rotations through there the better and the harder to handle by the opposition.
Especially with full game time back and lower rotations off the field.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There's a very interesting passage in that article:

So Fagan has a definite plan in mind - sit Joe at FF and rotate him with Oscar, while getting Hipwood (and McStay) to run up the ground. I had similar thoughts just after trade period. And Fagan is right in multiple senses about playing to strengths - not only is Hippy a better runner, he's also very good at kicking for goal outside 50, whereas Joe is more accurate from short range where he's a contested marking beast. If you go back to his 65 goal season in 2017, you can see Joe is an absolute stud from within 30-40m:

View attachment 1063326

McStay also did well last year running up the ground. He was more selective with his shots because he didn't have to be the focal point inside 50, and so he was more accurate. If both he and Hippy can drag defenders outside 50, that will free up a lot more room for Charlie and the other smalls to wreak havoc.
Nice goal shot image of Joe's all Australian year.
I agree with most of what you are saying except for one thing
I don't believe Oscar will rest forward much if at all.

To be the number one ruck he needs to get his TOG up to 83 to 89 % average for the year
He has been the sole ruck last year with Martin out and he did get hit TOG % up when this occurred
His TOG in 2020 was 79.42%
However it is a long season as the number one ruck, something he has not done before. Also he has only played 56 AFL games.
He will need short periods on the bench to recover. During this period Hippy & McStay will still be forward.
When resting forward in the modern game you don't always get much of a rest. We need him fully recovered when he returns to the ground
Their is no point staying on the ground for longer periods if you can't put in your best
If Oscar can get hit TOG average to 84% for the year he would have done well and be in good company
Gawn 92.57%, Goldy 92.06%, O'Brien 88.12%, Marshall 84.57% & Grundy 84.47% (well down on 2019 of 89.12%)

Club video/article on Joe Daniher for anyone interested in reading/listening.

Will play for the first time for the Lions against the Suns in the practice match, this Saturday.

JDogg

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can the public attend?

Lions Twitter page says that unfortunately the match will be behind closed doors with spectators allowed sadly and it won't even be streamed live which is a bugger for all of us around the country.

Apparently a highlights package will come out next week of the match though which is at least something.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
it seems it only won't be streamed because of the clash with AFLW.

we have a second match against GC right? (all the change/different types of matches have left me bamboozled) Will that onebe streamed (assuming it has no clashes?)

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Club video/article on Joe Daniher for anyone interested in reading/listening.

Will play for the first time for the Lions against the Suns in the practice match, this Saturday.

He speaks really intelligently doesn't he.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Lions Twitter page says that unfortunately the match will be behind closed doors with spectators allowed sadly and it won't even be streamed live which is a bugger for all of us around the country.

Apparently a highlights package will come out next week of the match though which is at least something.

Usually those highlifhts are 1-2 minutes long which is nothing really. Real shame., why couldn't they just move the practice match a few hours...

Ah, so this is why someone knew it was kaput in another thread. This is ******* bullshit. The AFLW game being played at the same time doesn't prevent them at all from broadcasting or streaming at the same time. If that's really the issue then they'll obviously have no issue uploading the full match recording to vieew after the AFLW game has finished.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
it seems it only won't be streamed because of the clash with AFLW.

we have a second match against GC right? (all the change/different types of matches have left me bamboozled) Will that onebe streamed (assuming it has no clashes?)
It would be a big surprise if the Community game v Suns is streamed. Highly unlikely this will happen
Going to the AFL site we are still listed to play GWS away for that community round
Anyhow for that match when you click on "Live and On-Demand on yourfavourite device" you only get Kayo, Foxtel & AFL live pass which i think now just puts you on to Kayo

Ah, so this is why someone knew it was kaput in another thread. This is ******* bullshit. The AFLW game being played at the same time doesn't prevent them at all from broadcasting or streaming at the same time. If that's really the issue then they'll obviously have no issue uploading the full match recording to vieew after the AFLW game has finished.

Hey PulpDriver, maybe this can cheer you up a little now ;)

Last edited:

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
so I do not understand AFLW on the same time..
Why not have both streams running?
Not hard to setup an account for a one off.. Our primary school does this even :(

Back