M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I think it could be Lester for a few weeks, and then it could be Adams (who played forward for the Dogs in a few games), Payne might even need a spell at some point in a long season. Maybe even Ballendeen who can play in a few spots gets a gig. As posted important to rotate the position based on opposition and allow players to maintain match fitness in VFL games.

Imagine being the 23rd player all year, not playing too much but getting your AFL match incentives (which a few of the younger guys and fringe players are usually on, with a lower base pay), sounds like easy money, but being professional athletes would get pretty pi..ed each week sitting on the bench.
I think it's been mentioned before but I hope it's not any of our players who have yet to debut, apparently it is counted as a game even if you don't get on the field, what a let down it would be if parents etc came for the game and he didn't get on the field. Stupidity by the AFL.

A club with good depth could conceivably roster your fringe players through every two weeks.

Matho in this week, injured at the end of the third quarter so off he comes and in goes CEY.

CEY plays the next week and matho suits out.

Then CEY plays and gets injured at the end of the third quarter and matho comes on.

BLOODY STUPID. IT DIDN'T WORK LAST TIME SO IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK NOW.

idiots feeding cheats

A club with good depth could conceivably roster your fringe players through every two weeks.

Matho in this week, injured at the end of the third quarter so off he comes and in goes CEY.

CEY plays the next week and matho suits out.

Then CEY plays and gets injured at the end of the third quarter and matho comes on.

BLOODY STUPID. IT DIDN'T WORK LAST TIME SO IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK NOW.

idiots feeding cheats
You're not even obliged to have them sit out next week if medically substituted - the 12-day rule is the concussion protocol and not applied to medical substitutes generally.

Old mate Kane Cornes, our new biggest fan. Bigger than Lloydie.

News for Geleit,if Joe wins the Coleman we won’t be finishing 7th

9E93B28D-AFD6-4114-B77D-71856AB04B0A.jpeg

radiotron

Senior List
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They r nice aren’t they.
I haven’t seen them on the lions site.

I've seen the Broncos ones at the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health clinic in Woolongabba
I believe you get one as an incentive for booking in to a Quit Smoking program?
No idea if they are for the general public tho?

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You're not even obliged to have them sit out next week if medically substituted - the 12-day rule is the concussion protocol and not applied to medical substitutes generally.
Did not watch the entire game, but find it a little suspicious that the very first game of the year (with longer Q's than last year) some players not yet at peak fitness that both medical subs are utilised in the first game of the year

Did not watch the entire game, but find it a little suspicious that the very first game of the year (with longer Q's than last year) some players not yet at peak fitness that both medical subs are utilised in the first game of the year
I would be very surprised (barring a rule clarification) if the medical substitute is activated fewer than 414 times this year.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Also both in the third quarter at a time when most benefit would be gained from the sub. Amazing how these things happen.

The AFL say they prioritise player welfare and yet they are doing everything in their power to fatigue players earlier in games which must put them at higher risk of injury. Carlton had one rotation left with about four minutes to go in last night's game according to the commentary. At one stage they said a Carlton player went to come off with an injury (Casboult I think) but was sent back presumably because of the shortage of rotations.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Also both in the third quarter at a time when most benefit would be gained from the sub. Amazing how these things happen.
Just had a quick look at our injuries last year (purely the ins and outs each round / finals) and we had 10 games out of 18 (not including round one) where we had a player(s) out from one week to the other that was injured. What I can't elicit from that was whether player(s) came off injured and took no further part in a game where we would've activated a sub.

In 2019, that figure was also 10 rounds but out of 24 games and in 2018 it was only 9 rounds out of 22 where from one week to the next a player was out injured.

It will be interesting what that figure will be in 2021 and how many times if a player is "injured" in a game that he gets up for the following week.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Speaking of injuries just read on AFL.COM Cat Cameron has dodgey hammy n will miss Lions game...apologies if discussed before.

It will be interesting what that figure will be in 2021 and how many times if a player is "injured" in a game that he gets up for the following week.
There's already speculation that Vlastuin (subbed off by Richmond) will get up for next week. :tearsofjoy:

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
There's already speculation that Vlastuin (subbed off by Richmond) will get up for next week. :tearsofjoy:
I can remember games where Adcock would get carried off the field and you'd think he is gone for the year and next week he gets up.

Lappin would walk off the field looking fine and next thing you know he's got a 7 week injury.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The AFL and coaches could have made it fairly simple.
You get subbed off, you miss next week for an injury or12 days for concussion
That still leaves finals games a big ? but still a deterrent to some degree. But coaches always find a way to exploit the rules
So if it's Neale in a final he gets a jab and stays on or sits on the bench.
But if it's a fringe guy he gets subbed off. Neale amazingly gets up for next week

I can see this rule being changed but not rescinded
The last time a rule was changed or rescinded in the same year that i could find was in 2000. See below
As a side note the 4th interchange player was introduced way back in 1998.
The dreaded green/red vest sub was 2011
Introduction of free against team whose team official interferes with the play. Fifty-metre penalty automatically imposed on a player when reported for an offence. (Rescinded after Round 17.)

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The AFL say they prioritise player welfare and yet they are doing everything in their power to fatigue players earlier in games which must put them at higher risk of injury. Carlton had one rotation left with about four minutes to go in last night's game according to the commentary. At one stage they said a Carlton player went to come off with an injury (Casboult I think) but was sent back presumably because of the shortage of rotations.
Why is that the AFL's fault? Coach's are given the number of rotations to work with. If they fall short of rotations before the game ends, that's bad management from them, not the AFL. I suppose in your eyes it was the AFL rather than a dingo that stole that baby too!!!

Why is that the AFL's fault? Coach's are given the number of rotations to work with. If they fall short of rotations before the game ends, that's bad management from them, not the AFL. I suppose in your eyes it was the AFL rather than a dingo that stole that baby too!!!
What's your problem? Cool your jets.

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So when do we expect the entire squad to be sent to Melbourne ? Other states closing borders to us and needing no transmission for a month stops any teams coming here with them getting caught up in it. Home games at the MCG and Marvel ?

Back