List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, it would be nice if he was a stand up guy and said ''I'd like to stay, that contract was written in better times, so I'll renegotiate.''

Wishful thinking?

Chrispiesssss

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ideally, what would GWS want for Tom Green? He’s in and out of your team.

I honestly see him as the next big thing in AFL.

Is there something I’m missing?

GWS Goose

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2011
Emu Plains
AFL Club
GWS
What do people think about us retaining Kelly on the supposed big contract? Would you rather we keep him or free ourselves of such a big weight?
Personally I see him as a quality player who would be amazing in a strong side.
In a team that is rebuilding I see his influence as being less so.
So I think it depends on what we do at seasons end... if we recruit a few mature players we try and keep him. If we blood the younger players perhaps let him go.
I want him here. Definitely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bossman111

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2008
Syd
AFL Club
GWS
How do we think our academy is progressing? ~10 years and we have only produced two players from Western Sydney and from what I can gather not many more WS prospects coming through. Obviously looking at this in the context of the Swans who look like they've produced a couple of guns in Gulden and Campbell who are from the Sydney metro area.

Not close to the ground on grassroots stuff but interested to see if we will ever consistently produce AFL standard players locally

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
How do we think our academy is progressing? ~10 years and we have only produced two players from Western Sydney and from what I can gather not many more WS prospects coming through. Obviously looking at this in the context of the Swans who look like they've produced a couple of guns in Gulden and Campbell who are from the Sydney metro area.

Not close to the ground on grassroots stuff but interested to see if we will ever consistently produce AFL standard players locally
Yeah I would of hoped for more by now, I remember rumours we had a few about to hit but nothing seemed to come from it.

Disappointing and hopefully there will be an influx soon.

captainMyCaptain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

There is obviously an element of luck especially when you consider that a guy like Braeden Campbell was only about 2 hours away from being in our zone. Also at the moment you could argue that about 25% of our best 22 is local talent. But the academies are always going to have peaks and dips when it comes to getting top end local talent and hopefully we will hit a peak soon.

fridgeman

Club Legend
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Hoping for some re-signing announcements as with so many off-contract this year and the need for list stability this has to be the priority and hopefully the kelly contract is not a dead-weight for negotiations with the others
If the Swans can be announcing contracts at this time of the year no reason for the club not to release some good news of players contract extensions for members

PMBangers

Cupids' Cousin
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
We've got an academy boy Patrick Voss playing for Chargers this year in the NAB League, really aggressive forward with a pinpoint kick and good marking. At 192cm he's a bit of an in between height, but I like what he brings and can see a bid in the early third being a possibility currently

fridgeman

Club Legend
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Will likely see plenty of academy players in the reserves this year so plenty of opportunity for them to push forward a case to make it onto the list but IMO the club is reluctant to pick a lower rated academy pick
I think the AFL website mentioned a ruck prospect tied to the academy

GWS Goose

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2011
Emu Plains
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting comment that you're happy with our half back runners (by which I presume Ash & Cumming, possibly Whitfield if you're slotting him in defence) - when I think many would see defence as a weakness at the moment.

If GWS was to get a top 5 pick (our own) plus a top 10 pick (Pies') who would you be looking at to patch up our list defiencies?
In just a few short weeks the wipe out all of a sudden looks ok.
XO and Hill looking likely and Idun showing he is promising. Factoring that we got 2 second rounders for Caldwell, it is now at least a fair outcome.

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Here's the Phase 2 GWS Academy list for 2021:

Capture = 2021 GWS Academy.PNG

Josh Green obviously carried over from his non-selection by either GWS or Richmond last year. Josh Fahey back after a year on the Gold Coast - the indications from the AFL are that he remains eligible for GWS to select (I don't understand how, but happy to accept!). Sam Stening was an U16 AA player, so high hopes he has continued to develop. Patrick Voss mentioned by PMBangers yesterday playing for Oakleigh Chargers (obviously at boarding school in Victoria). Not too many possibilities from Western Sydney - Kai Watts was a good performer at the U16 championships, but seems to have dropped off a touch since then.

Remove this Banner Ad