List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:

No. Simple comparison of their draft positions would mean even if Bombers didn't rate him (which they do), they'd want more.

Reid or Perkins would be the 2 players I’d be asking for even if we had to sweeten the deal.

contracted and required. The dons got a freebie last year in Caldwell cause he was out of contract. Hill is a different story.

Reid or Perkins would be the 2 players I’d be asking for even if we had to sweeten the deal.

contracted and required. The dons got a freebie last year in Caldwell cause he was out of contract. Hill is a different story.
Perkins didn't want to leave Victoria in his draft year ... after 1 year at the Bombers I would strongly doubt he would have changed his mind.

Bombers don't have a second this year, so the central value that we can get is their future second rounder. If we could force a swap of this year's first round picks as well (#11 for #13) that's about the best outcome for us. I daresay Dodo starts with a third round offer though, and plays on the ''compassionate reasons'' aspect for all its worth.

Hold hard McCartney and extract the maximum value you can.

Pardon the intrusion. I also fully expect that Dodoro will play hardball using compassionate grounds as leverage. Hopefully a deal is done that's satisfactory to all parties. I don't think there's anything valiant in using Hill's personal situation as a bargaining chip.

What kind of player are we looking at here in terms of deficiencies and qualities? What has been the trend in terms of improvement over the journey thus far?

Perkins didn't want to leave Victoria in his draft year ... after 1 year at the Bombers I would strongly doubt he would have changed his mind.

Bombers don't have a second this year, so the central value that we can get is their future second rounder. If we could force a swap of this year's first round picks as well (#11 for #13) that's about the best outcome for us. I daresay Dodo starts with a third round offer though, and plays on the ''compassionate reasons'' aspect for all its worth.

Hold hard McCartney and extract the maximum value you can.
Yeah the Hill and 13 for 11 and a future second is what I'm holding out hope for, vaslues Hill fairly imo and makes it easier to snag a replacement this year by trading the future second when we're at a pick suitable for a Clarke/ Motlop

Pardon the intrusion. I also fully expect that Dodoro will play hardball using compassionate grounds as leverage. Hopefully a deal is done that's satisfactory to all parties. I don't think there's anything valiant in using Hill's personal situation as a bargaining chip.

What kind of player are we looking at here in terms of deficiencies and qualities? What has been the trend in terms of improvement over the journey thus far?
His best is great, but he is inconsistent. But he's been slowly developing that over the past 3 years, so our expectation is that the next year or two he hits that better level of consistency. (Which is why losing him now ticks us off.) The first year he played 8 games IIRC, but also had some shoulder surgery so limited how much more he could have played. Last year was impacted by COVID, and he had a few little niggles, so played a few games less. This year he was in the team from round 1 to 17, and only came out at his own request to support his pregnant GF when the COVID bubble arrangement moved to Queensland, but came back in for the SF. So effectively he was locked in the team for the season. I'd say he's progressed quite nicely given everything.

He's great in the air - see a couple of his marks both last year and this year, and he's almost taken plenty of others, which he'll get with a bit more experience. He's OK on the ground and developing that - see his ball paddling goal in the SF loss to Cats this year. Otherwise, he's got electric speed and bobs up all over the field. The only things letting him down are his consistency (which will come) and that he's still fairly slight, so he isn't great in the ground contest.

No. Simple comparison of their draft positions would mean even if Bombers didn't rate him (which they do), they'd want more.
Well a straight swap wasn’t really what I was suggesting. We might have to kick in something extra

But Reid hasn’t played yet and we liked him last year… makes sense as a key back for us. They are stacked for key backs in

Well a straight swap wasn’t really what I was suggesting. We might have to kick in something extra

But Reid hasn’t played yet and we liked him last year… makes sense as a key back for us. They are stacked for key backs in
I think they're looking to the future when Hurley & Hooker are gone. Stewart is a makeshift defender, guys like Eyre & Brand are rated lower, Zerk-Thatcher is depth, Ridley is like Haynes, and Francis has always been a risk to go home or need time off. So, I don't see them with a classy KPD, which Reid gives them And if he doesn't want to come to NSW, then there's little point pressing the point.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy if we could score Reid in a swap, but I just don't see it being a realistic likelihood.

I think they're looking to the future when Hurley & Hooker are gone. Stewart is a makeshift defender, guys like Eyre & Brand are rated lower, Zerk-Thatcher is depth, Ridley is like Haynes, and Francis has always been a risk to go home or need time off. So, I don't see them with a classy KPD, which Reid gives them And if he doesn't want to come to NSW, then there's little point pressing the point.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy if we could score Reid in a swap, but I just don't see it being a realistic likelihood.
Yeah these deals rarely include players that’s true

I’m just not that happy about a future second…. And neither will they with some of the prospects up for grabs in 2022

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His best is great, but he is inconsistent. But he's been slowly developing that over the past 3 years, so our expectation is that the next year or two he hits that better level of consistency. (Which is why losing him now ticks us off.) The first year he played 8 games IIRC, but also had some shoulder surgery so limited how much more he could have played. Last year was impacted by COVID, and he had a few little niggles, so played a few games less. This year he was in the team from round 1 to 17, and only came out at his own request to support his pregnant GF when the COVID bubble arrangement moved to Queensland, but came back in for the SF. So effectively he was locked in the team for the season. I'd say he's progressed quite nicely given everything.

He's great in the air - see a couple of his marks both last year and this year, and he's almost taken plenty of others, which he'll get with a bit more experience. He's OK on the ground and developing that - see his ball paddling goal in the SF loss to Cats this year. Otherwise, he's got electric speed and bobs up all over the field. The only things letting him down are his consistency (which will come) and that he's still fairly slight, so he isn't great in the ground contest.
I appreciate the response - thanks for that. I have seen a couple of highlights, he looks exciting. A poster on our board compared him to a young Charlie Cameron. Does that sound reasonable?

I agree. You'd have more luck getting BZT and maybe a late pick.

Still p@*#ed at the Hill situation with 3 years development into him and the club has given him time away when needed this year
The club needs to be strong at the trade table so hoping for what has been suggested already

Hill + #13 for #11 and F2
Or
Hill For F2 and #51 or #56

if it is just
Hill for F2
That is not enough IMO

Still p@*#ed at the Hill situation with 3 years development into him and the club has given him time away when needed this year
The club needs to be strong at the trade table so hoping for what has been suggested already

Hill + #13 for #11 and F2
Or
Hill For F2 and #51 or #56

if it is just
Hill for F2
That is not enough IMO
Bend over backwards for these players, develop them, support them then they notify the club at the end of the period they want a trade, obvious this has been in the works for a bit.

Good riddance I say. To me he has shown minimal improvement during his time at the club. We all know what he’s capable of, but my goodness he goes missing for such long stretches constantly. Doesn’t get anywhere near enough of the footy. Overrated.

Good riddance I say. To me he has shown minimal improvement during his time at the club. We all know what he’s capable of, but my goodness he goes missing for such long stretches constantly. Doesn’t get anywhere near enough of the footy. Overrated.
I think that's harsh, Drummond. The last 2 years have been incredibly disrupted, which would have impacted the kids more than the experienced players. And players progress at different rates of development. If he was to be still inconsistent after 5 years in the system then I'd agree with you. But my fear is that he's ready to break out into being that consistent player - and Bombers now reap the reward of our development efforts.

Something must've happened between then and now, would seem weird if he simply just changed his mind.
The vibe feels like a reactive response to TOJ leaving.
Not based on any evidence, just the timing.
The Bombers must have been in his ear for a while as this came together all too conveniently and quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back