List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Gold Coast,Adelaide,Hawthorn want to move up according to Cal Twomey discussing with Barrett, SOS, Lloyd.
Would get lots of good future pick options from Gold Coast,
Hawthorn probably ask for 5,24 for 2,2022r2.
You would think we'd put it up for auction, and see who offers the most of the teams behind us. If we were happy with one of Callaghan, Andrew, Gibcus, Ward or Rachele (for different roles/reasons) then anything back to pick #6 still drafts a useful player plus whatever extra we could get. (If we wouldn't accept one of those, then back to #5 at most. Or further back if we were prepared to take a risk - Richmond might be prepared to offer more to move up a larger amount, and to get Callaghan.)

And no way am I trading with Hawks #2 & F2R for their #5, #24 - it would be their second round pick (and I'd want #21) for just #2 because it guarantees access to Finn Callaghan who would complement their side the most.

That said, despite some trepidation about red flags, I'd still be happy to draft Callaghan at #2 (at this point, without further red flags arising).

If we are prepared to trade, then Hawthorn could be the optimal trading partner - they're likely to miss both Callaghan & Ward who would likely go to us and Crows sitting back at the #5 pick - Erasmus is probably their next best option - but if they can nab the kid in the top tier you'd think they might be interested in trading. Getting pick #21 from them should come before any Fahey bid, which would then give us 4 good selections. At #5, you'd expect one of Andrew or Gibcus to be there, so filling our needs. #13 has plenty of options who may be there as pacy outside options (Sinn, Chesser, NWM, Sonsie, Knevitt etc). #21 could get JVR if we want another KPF to replace Finlayson, or Bazzo/Alleer as KPD if we see Mac as a forward/ruck, or Judson Clarke if we want to prepare for losing Bobby with a small forward. Plenty of options there if we're interested in grabbing an extra pick for a small downgrade.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Gold Coast,Adelaide,Hawthorn want to move up according to Cal Twomey discussing with Barrett, SOS, Lloyd.
That’s the thing- they might want to move up but they will need to offer a decent trade. 5,24 for 2and 2022 rd2 is nowhere near close to the mark. The trade needs to significantly benefit us

A club like freo with pick 6 and 8 might be closer to the mark but even then they become 8 and 10 by the time we use them. We might be able to get a teams 2021 rd1 and their 2022 rd 1 but clubs like Adelaide/hawks would be reluctant to part with future picks

Gold Coast might be the only club worth trading with

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
We paid 2 first rounders, one of them being Pick 3, for Pick 2 in 2016 when there was a deeper top end of talent, there's no way we're taking less than that

We paid 2 first rounders, one of them being Pick 3, for Pick 2 in 2016 when there was a deeper top end of talent, there's no way we're taking less than that
Ignoring how poor Dom's career turned out, we also traded a very recent and well-developed pick 3 and pick 9 for a pick 2, although in that case we got pick 20 back.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So at the moment how many list spots available do we have to fill in the draft?
We're in the sweet spot, with a minimum of 3 to fill, maximum of 5. Which would allow us to go in with 5 usable picks, but match the last 3 for Fahey, to take 3 players. But there's other permutations that we can do.

Working:
Main list: 33 spots, so minimum 3 maximum 5 spots to fill. (36 minus Hutchesson, Shipley, Finlayson)
Rookie A list: presumably 4 spots (7 minus Buntine, Reid & presumably Mumford)
Rookie B list: zero spots open (both Brown & Will Shaw remain, max 2)
Total list (ML + RL-A): 5 (42 maximum, 33 + 4 = 37 used)

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

That would be a huge flat no haha. No way Giants do that. We will get much better offers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I just sincerely hope we trade our #13 in to the future for a future first. It is going to worth a lot next year and I love me a good death ride

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That was different, our other pick was going to be sucked up.by academy picks. Brisbane gave us a stack of points with lower picks.
Wasn't so much about the upgrade in that trade.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
That was different, our other pick was going to be sucked up.by academy picks. Brisbane gave us a stack of points with lower picks.
Wasn't so much about the upgrade in that trade.
Understandably different, rare you'll find two trade scenarios with the same context really. The evidence is still there that it costs a substantial amount to get into the top 5 picks. 2019 when we did 6 + a future 1st for 4 (with Tom Green coming yes) comes to mind, our initial trade to get to 3 in 2016 was 7, 34 and a decent player in McCarthy, I'd be disappointed if we traded 2 and a second rounder for another first and another second rounder is all

Understandably different, rare you'll find two trade scenarios with the same context really. The evidence is still there that it costs a substantial amount to get into the top 5 picks. 2019 when we did 6 + a future 1st for 4 (with Tom Green coming yes) comes to mind, our initial trade to get to 3 in 2016 was 7, 34 and a decent player in McCarthy, I'd be disappointed if we traded 2 and a second rounder for another first and another second rounder is all
Agree that it is massive unders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad McCartney stayed strong and we've actually put plans in place to help support Bobby.

But I'm not sure how I feel about McCartney speaking for Hill and saying he'll be fine. Dodoro also said the same thing.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I'm glad McCartney stayed strong and we've actually put plans in place to help Bobby.

But I'm not sure how I feel about McCartney speaking for Hill and saying he'll be fine. Dodoro also said the same thing.
Just means they have faith in the kid, that they know all that rubbish yesterday afternoon was just his manager playing their usual games.

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I'm glad McCartney stayed strong and we've actually put plans in place to help Bobby.

Well he is hardly going to say he will be a mess and an outcast is he

Well he is hardly going to say he will be a mess and an outcast is he
Well I think list managers shouldn't speak on behalf of players, period, but especially when it's a welfare issue.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the quote, or taken it out of context, but I find it a bit insensitive.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Well I think list managers shouldn't speak on behalf of players, period, but especially when it's a welfare issue.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the quote, or taken it out of context, but I find it a bit insensitive.
Reporters are always going to ask how will he fit in after all thats happened... I don't really see another way to answer the question

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Is Dodo trying to claim essendon only got word from Bobby last Friday?
72B36FBC-CB03-4EDE-A69A-84D654B5FAB6.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back