List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
An interesting article on afl.com.au about Josh Gibcus. There has been a bit of a vibe around him not wanting to relocate interstate and being a bit of a flight risk, but his background and what he's said indicates otherwise. (You can never tell for sure until the situation arises, though.) I am probably re-warming to him as an option.

Off the charts: The well-travelled draft prospect with a monster vertical leap (afl.com.au)

Josh Gibcus was born in Brisbane and spent the first seven years of his life in Queensland, where he started Auskick and first got his hands on a footy. His family then moved to Perth for his father's work, where he was based for his next seven years, including making the West Australian under-12s state side.
When he was 14, the Gibcus family moved to Ballarat, where the teenager's path to the AFL took shape and where he has developed into one of the leading prospects in this year's NAB AFL Draft and the best key defender available. Where Gibcus ends up next is most exciting. Early in 2022, his parents are planning to move back to Perth and by then Gibcus will be on an AFL list – somewhere. Be it Sydney, Victoria or Western Australia, the teenager knows his upbringing will hold him in good stead for his next move.

"I don't mind where I go. I've travelled around a fair bit which I think has helped me and I can understand how moving works. I'll just take the opportunity as it comes and whoever picks me on draft night I'll go and give it everything I've got," he told AFL.com.au. "Moving to new places has meant I've had to adapt and moving to new school meant I have had to make a whole bunch of new friends. It's helped quite a bit looking ahead and if I did have to move at the end of the year it wouldn't be too much of a problem."

Given his history its rather bizarre how rumors of him being a flight risk ever happened and at face value seems like a great kid.

Given his history its rather bizarre how rumors of him being a flight risk ever happened and at face value seems like a great kid.
I didn't realise they were so wide spread tbh, but I know at least one club got the impression he might be a flight risk, maybe he played it up for his interview with them specifically, but it's funny how clubs see these things differently

I didn't realise they were so wide spread tbh, but I know at least one club got the impression he might be a flight risk, maybe he played it up for his interview with them specifically, but it's funny how clubs see these things differently
GCS, I’m guessing, and perhaps you can’t blame him

I think our small forward solution is playing one of our skilled mids in there, Taranto or Bruhn would be both excellent options in that role.
Along with Toby and Binga
Agree that there is way more growth to occur within, we have no idea how Connor Stone and/ or Ryan Angwin break into this team. They still get equal dibs on spots with any Pick 2 from this years draft.
Poor ol' Cam Fleeton has been forgotten about, is he a 3rd tall defender? (jacob Wehr will have to have a very special pre-season if he's not to go the way of Tom Hutchesson).
Injuries have always hurt us, but we wouldn't have otherwise known how good are Buckley & Idun.
Pick 2 might end up more curse than blessing....another hungry starlet desperate for immediate time in the sun.

Agree that there is way more growth to occur within, we have no idea how Connor Stone and/ or Ryan Angwin break into this team. They still get equal dibs on spots with any Pick 2 from this years draft.
Poor ol' Cam Fleeton has been forgotten about, is he a 3rd tall defender? (jacob Wehr will have to have a very special pre-season if he's not to go the way of Tom Hutchesson).
Injuries have always hurt us, but we wouldn't have otherwise known how good are Buckley & Idun.
Pick 2 might end up more curse than blessing....another hungry starlet desperate for immediate time in the sun.
Pick 2 being a curse is a new one. I completely get your point though. You're right Buckley and Idun look like pickup jewels because of where we picked them, but adding more class to a classy list won't be an issue. The squeeze will always be there with the way that our list is managed and rotation of high picks we've managed to gain when players leave. The Hately/Caldwell (Gametime/pathway) debacle is what we want to try and avoid...and maybe that's doable by not bringing through quite as many midfielders.....however talented young midfielders tend to yield a return on the market...so it keeps us in draft heaven.
I can see why people think drafting MAC will basically signal to Flynn/Briggs that they are not a priority. However unlike Callaghan he won't be expecting to play straight away.
I think Connor Stone should get a crack at the Toby position for the first 5 weeks. I'm seeing a bit of a breakout year for him coming up.

If the club really is auctioning off #2 to the highest bid then there's almost no chance that Callaghan is their top target right? The only way they're going to get Callaghan is picking him at 2 because if he's still on the board when the suns are picking they have to take him I'd imagine. Pick 2 is their only chance to grab him and if they're looking to move that pick they probably think they can get whoever their top target is down the order. As time goes on I think the odds of Callaghan coming to GWS get slimmer and slimmer for me personally, would probably be my top target but just don't think it'll happen.

If the club really is auctioning off #2 to the highest bid then there's almost no chance that Callaghan is their top target right? The only way they're going to get Callaghan is picking him at 2 because if he's still on the board when the suns are picking they have to take him I'd imagine. Pick 2 is their only chance to grab him and if they're looking to move that pick they probably think they can get whoever their top target is down the order. As time goes on I think the odds of Callaghan coming to GWS get slimmer and slimmer for me personally, would probably be my top target but just don't think it'll happen.
Yeah if we want Callaghan we need to pick him at 2. Unless he does both ACLs between now and the draft.
He's the just a level above according to all the reading I've done. Certainly still a top 4 then the rest.
Gonna be interesting to see if the FOMO will get us and we just pick him.

I have no idea what the club will do, but I have not written off the idea of GWS getting Callaghan. His name is still mentioned as having GWS interest, along with others including Mac Andrew & Josh Gibcus. I would hope that the recruiting team is looking at multiple options that benefit the club.

Yes, I think the club is prepared to prioritise drafting someone else, and therefore of trading out pick #2. But I think they also want a decent return for #2, so if they don't get what they want, then I can envisage keeping it and taking ''best available'' (which I'm pretty sure Caruso has said is his go in the top 10, but across the long term of a draftee's career) which they might see as Callaghan.

Obviously, all clubs are jostling for advantage, and it's entirely possible that GWS is working the phones for options to trade but doesn't intend to make a decision until ND night, even potentially after Norths make their selection.

A lot of posters (across the whole of BF, not talking this board specifically) only consider binary choices: will trade, won't trade; have expressed interest in Andrew therefore will solely focus on getting Andrew etc. It's not always that way in real life, and there may be a series of "if/then" decisions.

I have no idea what the club will do, but I have not written off the idea of GWS getting Callaghan. His name is still mentioned as having GWS interest, along with others including Mac Andrew & Josh Gibcus. I would hope that the recruiting team is looking at multiple options that benefit the club.

Yes, I think the club is prepared to prioritise drafting someone else, and therefore of trading out pick #2. But I think they also want a decent return for #2, so if they don't get what they want, then I can envisage keeping it and taking ''best available'' (which I'm pretty sure Caruso has said is his go in the top 10, but across the long term of a draftee's career) which they might see as Callaghan.

Obviously, all clubs are jostling for advantage, and it's entirely possible that GWS is working the phones for options to trade but doesn't intend to make a decision until ND night, even potentially after Norths make their selection.

A lot of posters (across the whole of BF, not talking this board specifically) only consider binary choices: will trade, won't trade; have expressed interest in Andrew therefore will solely focus on getting Andrew etc. It's not always that way in real life, and there may be a series of "if/then" decisions.
I think when Callaghan gets mentioned in it's more just a (empty) threat to teams trying to trade up that if they don't offer a good enough deal they're happy to take him so it doesn't look like they're trying to trade the pick at all costs. Just don't think they want to lose leverage in trade negotioations that why his name is still being linked with us. If the interest was genuine I don't think there would be considerations about trading down because there's such a small chance he's going to be avaliable at 3.

I think when Callaghan gets mentioned in it's more just a (empty) threat to teams trying to trade up that if they don't offer a good enough deal they're happy to take him so it doesn't look like they're trying to trade the pick at all costs. Just don't think they want to lose leverage in trade negotioations that why his name is still being linked with us. If the interest was genuine I don't think there would be considerations about trading down because there's such a small chance he's going to be avaliable at 3.
The only comment I have from the club about trading the pick was when McCartney said something along the lines of we "intend to use pick 2 unless someone makes it very worthwhile for us to trade it"
It is fans and media suggesting we trade, and all of that is based on the assumption that we want Mac Andrew as our highest priority.

The only comment I have from the club about trading the pick was when McCartney said something along the lines of we "intend to use pick 2 unless someone makes it very worthwhile for us to trade it"
It is fans and media suggesting we trade, and all of that is based on the assumption that we want Mac Andrew as our highest priority.
It's not just media speculation, they're not just pulling that out of thin air that we are open to trading the pick it's clearly sourced information from clubs around the competition. Whether they are actively looking to trade or are simply very open to hearing offers I'm not sure but it doesn't seem like to me they're hanging up on anyone that's offering to move up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just media speculation, they're not just pulling that out of thin air that we are open to trading the pick it's clearly sourced information from clubs around the competition. Whether they are actively looking to trade or are simply very open to hearing offers I'm not sure but it doesn't seem like to me they're hanging up on anyone that's offering to move up.
Yeah pretty sure every report I've seen has been more along the lines of 'clubs are coming for Pick 2' rather than 'GWS will trade Pick 2'

Spot on Bangers.

Most of the reports are suggesting teams would like 2.
There is also lots of talk that if our primary target is Andrews we can trade down and still get him.

I'm firmly of a view that there's a lot of smoke & mirrors and some misdirection in what recruiters do. We've telegraphed some things (e.g. apparently one of only two clubs not to interview Matt Roberts, or at least, not yet). Other things such as interest in Andrew might be played up. While you can generally never disguise interest in a kid - you have to do due diligence of course - you can subtly show more or less interest than you have. You can also like more than one player and think they'll fit into the team, but can't usually get more than one player - have to decide which one is primary. Or is some cases, trading might get you two players you like at the cost of a guy whom you like but are willing to sacrifice.

I am figuring, if we really don't want Callaghan, we'll trade pick #2 for unders, because we're happy to make a profit (even if minor). An example would be Hawks #5 + #21. Should get Mac, if not Gibcus & if not then Rachele should be there. The #21 could then be used as an incentive to trade #13 earlier. e.g. to Saints for #9 or WCE #10 to see who might still be there - we could get lucky and one of those might still be there.

If we really want Mac, then Hawks are going to need to pay a higher price to prise our fingers off him - #5 + next year's first would be an example.

Club legend but we're well stocked to cover his departure.

GWS is hopeful Braydon Preuss can overcome his injury battles after arriving from Melbourne ahead of last season.

If we're relying on Preuss to replace Mumford, I wouldn't call that "well stocked".

I don't think so, we can always have room for a pick2/4 quality player to play, Finn would be a good player to be the medical sub at worst.
It is having 2 or 3 picks in the 11-20 range that causes problems as they often don't make our team, and tend to play less with us than they might at another club.

Can probably spot some similarities between Clarke and the highlights from Butler yesterday, Clarke would be seen widely as a 'reach' at 15, but another one that I wouldn't hate for a small forward role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back