List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
If that is a good deal for gws, why are you offering it. Wouldn't Richmond prefer to keep its picks.

Richmond have 5 picks in top 30 so they may want to trade up

Also some talk they are high on Horne / calla.

The dusty and co. Window will close sooner rather than later so might want to roll the dice. Might have been a mistake not taking tom Mitchell on the cheap

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Richmond have 5 picks in top 30 so they may want to trade up

Also some talk they are high on Horne / calla.

The dusty and co. Window will close sooner rather than later so might want to roll the dice. Might have been a mistake not taking tom Mitchell on the cheap
I agree on Mitchell. As a matter of interest, what were you offering for Mitchell?
I think that if there is going to be a dusty/ bont level of player, daicos and Callaghan are the potential ones in this draft.
I also think without father sons, daicos is pick 1, then jhf, then Callaghan.

That was a mistake, mcluggage is about the same level as taranto, and more of an outside player.

It wasn't a mistake if GWS were taking Taranto anyway (Brisbane was going to take McGrath or McCluggage).

If you check the actual trade, there were also a bunch of late picks sent from Brisbane to GWS that added up to more points than pick 16. GWS wasn't going to use pick 16 because it would become points to match an academy kid so the later picks were substantially more valuable to GWS than pick 16.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
It wasn't a mistake if GWS were taking Taranto anyway (Brisbane was going to take McGrath or McCluggage).

If you check the actual trade, there were also a bunch of late picks sent from Brisbane to GWS that added up to more points than pick 16. GWS wasn't going to use pick 16 because it would become points to match an academy kid so the later picks were substantially more valuable to GWS than pick 16.
I looked at the trade again, it appears I was wrong, a reasonable trade.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Just to look at some of the potential trade options if GWS were thinking of that.

As I posted previously, I think that only comes into play if we are genuinely of a view that any of Callaghan, Andrew, Rachele & Gibcus would be good options for us. And I'd add that it would need us to consider Callaghan not substantially ahead of the others, that we're prepared to not take him if that provides added benefit to us.

Gold Coast #3. Example: GCS trade a F2R + #3 for #2. Effectively, we are giving them Callaghan to get one of the others that we prefer for a F2R (which could be their F2R, Collingwood's or Fremantle's). There's not a huge incentive for Suns to do this trade. If they have similar views to us, they simply see who we take, and if it's not Callaghan then they take Callaghan, or if we do take Callaghan, they take someone else they're equally content with. They would do it if they'd be happy to lock in Callaghan and believe we will take him, but they won't be prepared to give up too much. If we were thinking of taking Mac Andrew, Josh Gibcus or Josh Rachele at #2 in preference to Callaghan, then this does work in getting us a small benefit in 2022. We could also try to subsequently trade that F2R plus #13 for an earlier first round pick this year if we had a particular target in mind. Clubs such as Saints, West Coast or Essendon might be prepared to drop back a couple of spots.

Adelaide #4. Crows would love Callaghan as the type of mid they need, although they are worried about him being a flight risk. For that reason, while they'd select him if he was available at their pick, they're not going to trade a lot of capital to move up for him. The most we'd get is a swap of our future first round picks for a swap of their #4 for our #2. That sets us up for a fall if we don't do well in 2022, or Crows rebound greatly, but you'd still expect them to finish below GWS so would provide a small benefit. If we were prepared for Callaghan and one of Andrew/Gibcus/Rachele to be taken before #4.

Hawthorn #5. Again, exactly the midfielder that Hawks would love, but while there's no worry about flight risk, they seem simply to not want to pay a premium to move up for him. GWS doesn't want pick #21 (or indeed both #21 & #24, which would be more equitable, but still a low-ball offer), because of limited list spots and the Fahey bid, and Hawks won't do their F1R which is what it would take. If they did put their F1R up, that could be a top 5 pick in 2022, so we'd have to be interested. In the event that we have the 4 players fairly even, then 3 of them would be gone by #5. So we could target a tall next year, but have to be content with whoever is left from Andrew, Gibcus & Rachele (because Callaghan would certainly be gone). If GWS was genuinely open-minded about those players, then this would make sense.

Fremantle #6. Freo have lost Cerra, for whom Callaghan would be a close enough like-for-like replacement, albeit 4 years behind (Brodie is not the man IMHO). However, there is some flight risk, so like Adelaide, while they'd love him, they'd be cautious about paying overs to move up. GWS would obviously want #6 and #8 for #2 (yes, with the slide from Daicos & Darcy bids it's less, but the point is guaranteed access to Callaghan), Freo would want #6 + #8 for #2 + #13. The problem there is that at #6, all 4 of our evenly-rated players may be gone. Hawks have been linked to Andrew, so even though I think they should be taking a midfielder, perhaps they might select a guy with an eye to his future upside more than the near-future need. Personally, I also rate Neil Erasmus, so I'd happily take him at #6, but there seems to have been no media link between GWS and BFONE, and there has been some murmurings of him being a flight risk, so perhaps this trade could leave us in no-man's land in regards selections.

The alternative trade that works better is Fremantle trading initially with Adelaide (#6 + #19 for Crows' #4 + #33), then on-trading with GWS (Freo's now #4 + #8 for GWS #2 + #13). While some posters might not be happy with the collateral on such a trade (the points would be even once pushbacks occur), and while I too would like more, I could see GWS accepting such a deal. The rationale for the trades would be that Adelaide realise they can't get Callaghan, and #4 is in no-man's land territory, so get to move their second selection forward substantially; while for Freo, it would essentially be all-in on getting Callaghan while the #13 still gets them a reasonable selection - Amiss might still be there, otherwise JVR for a local lad, or Goater is another one been linked to the WA clubs. GWS picking at #4 still guarantees us one of Andrew/Gibcus/Rachele, indeed two of them will be there so there's still a choice. And then a second pick much closer than #13. Indeed, with Hawks/Adelaide/Richmond's needs - all requiring midfielders IMHO - we could potentially end up with both Rachele and Andrew, and that's the upside of that trade.

Richmond #7. So, we've had a Richmond poster busy on this board this morning as I starting typing this post, wanting to trade their #7 for our #2, with various offers for what provides benefit to GWS. The problem I see with going back to pick #7 as our first selection (which will be #9 on the night), is that there's a huge risk that all of our desired players are gone by then. We then get left with two picks this year (#7 & #15) largely in no-man's land - yes there's some decent players to be selected there such as Sinn, Sonsie, Johnson, Amiss, NWM, Draper; but do any of them really add to our team? - or one this year and a potentially teen pick next year as Richmond rebound (as they surely intend to do). At best for us, they stay outside the 8, as we get a fringe top 10 pick next year on top of ours. Not the worst result, but certainly not as inviting as pick #2 or some of the alternatives. The last offer, which was Richmond give: #7,#15 & F2R for GWS: #2 and F3R is certainly a good deal on the surface; but it just drops us out of that range of picks this year that gets us one of the players we rate as discussed here. One might sneak through, but should we be taking that risk with a pick #2? Could GWS consider it - yes. Do I think we're likely to actually trade with Richmond - no, I don't.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Draft Board going with a rumours of a live draft night trade of GWS pick #2 + 2022 2nd round pick going to Hawks for pick #5 and their 2022 first rounder. GWS will then take Mac Andrew at #5 (7).

Obviously, there's no guarantee that Andrew will be there at #5 (7), but as per my previous post, one of Andrew/Rachele/Gibcus will be. Plus the lure of an early first round pick in 2022, which we hope would be top 5, makes than a deal I could see GWS doing.

That would also explain interest in Goater, who we could see as an alternative balanced midfielder in the range of #13 (15).

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Draft Board going with a rumours of a live draft night trade of GWS pick #2 + 2022 2nd round pick going to Hawks for pick #5 and their 2022 first rounder. GWS will then take Mac Andrew at #5 (7).

Obviously, there's no guarantee that Andrew will be there at #5 (7), but as per my previous post, one of Andrew/Rachele/Gibcus will be. Plus the lure of an early first round pick in 2022, which we hope would be top 5, makes than a deal I could see GWS doing.

That would also explain interest in Goater, who we could see as an alternative balanced midfielder in the range of #13 (15).

Andrew and that early F1 Is what I’ve wanted if we don’t take Callaghan.... I like it a lot

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

I think Hawthorns going to be really bad next year and would be pretty surprised if they're not a bottom 4 team or at least right around that mark, so I'd be pretty comfotable doing that. Rachele slipping to 7 would be the dream but not sure he would make it, but one of their targeted guys would be there.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Hawthorns going to be really bad next year and would be pretty surprised if they're not a bottom 4 team or at least right around that mark, so I'd be pretty comfotable doing that. Rachele slipping to 7 would be the dream but not sure he would make it, but one of their targeted guys would be there.
Just following this conversation with not too much being reported. If its true that a deal has been struck for the Hawks pick 5 and their 2022 1st for pick 2 and maybe a 2nd rounder - that is a great deal for GWS if they are wedded to Andrew or Gibcus. The crows are almost certain to not take either with midfield being the priority so the Giants are a lock to get one of them and secure what could easily be a top 5 pick next year. I think if the crows were coming for pick 2 that as noted above, only a swap of 2022 1sts would be on the offer so the Hawks offer would be better. Maybe the only other one is if GC make a big offer but imo they are going to take Gibcus if he is there at 3 - the perfect fit for their list

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
AFL draft 2021 news, whispers: Date, live trades, Finn Callaghan stats, GWS Giants, Geelong pick swap, Mitchito Owens St Kilda (foxsports.com.au)

But the Giants have warmed to the prospect of selecting Callaghan. It’s understood coach Leon Cameron is a big fan of the smooth-moving midfielder.

It’s unlikely both Andrew and Gibcus would still be on the draft board after Gold Coast’s first pick, with one of the two players tipped to end up at either the Giants or Suns. Whichever prospect is still on the board, though, could slide down the order by a few spots, with Adelaide (Pick 4) and Hawthorn (Pick 5) unlikely to entertain selecting the key-position players.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'm quite happy with that. Probably Bruhn and XOH are the most impacted if Callaghan arrives at GWS, but they'll just have to work out how to provide value to the team.

I probably wouldn't mind Arlo Draper then with our own pick to give us a small/medium forward. Also, you never know how far Josh Gibcus might slide if not selected by Suns, although I doubt it will be all the way to #15!

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I'm quite happy with that. Probably Bruhn and XOH are the most impacted if Callaghan arrives at GWS, but they'll just have to work out how to provide value to the team.

I probably wouldn't mind Arlo Draper then with our own pick to give us a small/medium forward. Also, you never know how far Josh Gibcus might slide if not selected by Suns, although I doubt it will be all the way to #15!

Unless Bruhn is prepared to re-sign and prove the draft night vision wrong he should be put on the backburner. He really should have re-signed by now.

I think he’s a good player but fans and clubs value loyalty. Hopefully he does the honourable thing soon.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Unless Bruhn is prepared to re-sign and prove the draft night vision wrong he should be put on the backburner. He really should have re-signed by now.

I think he’s a good player but fans and clubs value loyalty. Hopefully he does the honourable thing soon.
We should still be actively trying to re-sign Bruhn, I thought we all came away from his first season really optimistic and he made some really nice plays at points in the year which is all we can ask for from rookies.

Agree.
This trade is misquoted alot.
The whole trade wasn't about moving up a play, it was about points

Back