List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agree. Not sure Stranadic is that though. Didn't seem to do much in that role when Griffen was number one ruck at EF. Would be curious to hear from someone who watches EF on that.

My recollection of the Nads at Freo were, firstly straight line runner, with big turning circle. As a forward and didn’t provide pressure.

Tried as a forward, but not agile enough, then asked to Ruck, were he showed potential.

He’s obviously improved his rucking, but hard to say he’s more agile.

Whether there is a role for someone like that at Freo? I would imagine he would be behind Meek.

I genuinely don't see what we lose from picking up a Thorne or Sokol for 6 months and testing them out. It won't cost us anything with some of our guys out for the season, if they don't perform then for sure send them back to the WAFL, but it won't hurt the club to give them a crack.

I genuinely don't see what we lose from picking up a Thorne or Sokol for 6 months and testing them out. It won't cost us anything with some of our guys out for the season, if they don't perform then for sure send them back to the WAFL, but it won't hurt the club to give them a crack.

Do we have the money for mid season recruits?

All we want is someone who can be as dangerous forward as Jeremy Cameron while competing in the ruck as well as Sean Darcy currently does. And to only need to pay that player $450,000 a season.

Top ten Coleman Medal, despite being the target for our forward entries just 15% of the time.
And, 2 lightning quick midfielders who can rotate forward?

I have the solution:

images.jpg

Ship sailed on Sokol

What about this guy? Never seen him play, but just trawling some stats and young WA players overlooked in the draft.

A 20 yr old medium forward who had 36 touches and 6 goals (total) in his first 2 league games for Subi this year (against Claremont and South). Anyone have thoughts on him? Been overlooked twice now, but on paper he seems OK and fits a position of need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably need two of them to cover for injuries.
All we want is someone who can be as dangerous forward as Jeremy Cameron while competing in the ruck as well as Sean Darcy currently does. And to only need to pay that player $450,000 a season.

Top ten Coleman Medal, despite being the target for our forward entries just 15% of the time.

Blake Slipslopslap for backline cover?
Matt Parker fwd/mid?
Zac Strom 197cm utility?

Would significantly weaken Souths but there’s a reason 5/23 of the state players are Bulldogs.

(Just poking my nose in because I’m curious about the MSD. I don’t think we’ll take anyone tbh. Off again now. WAFL is so much easier to follow.)

What about this guy? Never seen him play, but just trawling some stats and young WA players overlooked in the draft.

A 20 yr old medium forward who had 36 touches and 6 goals (total) in his first 2 league games for Subi this year (against Claremont and South). Anyone have thoughts on him? Been overlooked twice now, but on paper he seems OK and fits a position of need.
Looks like the best long term option thrown up so far tbh.

The more mature guys if we go down that path will probably be there at our second selection.

Blake Slipslopslap for backline cover?
Matt Parker fwd/mid?
Zac Strom 197cm utility?

Would significantly weaken Souths but there’s a reason 5/23 of the state players are Bulldogs.

(Just poking my nose in because I’m curious about the MSD. I don’t think we’ll take anyone tbh. Off again now. WAFL is so much easier to follow.)
Only 5? That's nice.

(6 from Claremont)

In the case of Thorne, whilst I have said elsewhere that is potentially AFL standard, he just wouldn't be tested out if we drafted him; you can tell that would be the case because we already have a similar player who is averaging similar goal numbers at WAFL level, and has far superior speed and height and can't get a game at the senior level in Joel Western (arguably Giro on the midfield side also). What hope does Thorne get of getting into the side? Why would they pick him over these players?

One of Ben Sokol's challenges is that the last time he was tested his 20m sprint times (3.30 seconds for 20m sprint) were significantly worse than most ruckman - for comparison 200cm Luke Strnadica was 3.07 seconds for the same distance. Combined with the fact that he is not particularly tall(186cm) means he is almost relying totally on his footy brain to do what he does at WAFL level which is a leading up mark and goal game. It also means he is vulnerable in terms of defensive capabilities. If he can improve his running then maybe but as far as it currently stands he is just giving away too much ground to play at AFL as a forward.

In the case of Thorne, whilst I have said elsewhere that is potentially AFL standard, he just wouldn't be tested out if we drafted him; you can tell that would be the case because we already have a similar player who is averaging similar goal numbers at WAFL level, and has far superior speed and height and can't get a game at the senior level in Joel Western (arguably Giro on the midfield side also). What hope does Thorne get of getting into the side? Why would they pick him over these players?

One of Ben Sokol's challenges is that the last time he was tested his 20m sprint times (3.30 seconds for 20m sprint) were significantly worse than most ruckman - for comparison 200cm Luke Strnadica was 3.07 seconds for the same distance. Combined with the fact that he is not particularly tall(186cm) means he is almost relying totally on his footy brain to do what he does at WAFL level which is a leading up mark and goal game. It also means he is vulnerable in terms of defensive capabilities. If he can improve his running then maybe but as far as it currently stands he is just giving away too much ground to play at AFL as a forward.
Pffft - poor man's Blair Bell :)

If we’re going to go to the effort, then we should be picking players that we can play in the AFL rather than testing a couple of players out on the training track and for Peel.

Jack Hayes named captain of SA in the state game. A big endorsement when you consider the others they had to choose from.
He’s a 25yo 194cm forward (rucking in the SANFL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back