List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
IF Cerra was to return to Victoria I would be looking at a trade involving Geelong’s Neale and Clark.
As steak knives? Neither worth much more than 30, if at all. Also, Geelong isn't in Melbourne, so any trade for those blokes would not be involved for Cerra.

Also, bit early on Neale isn't it?
Both those players fit list needs and Clark is ready to play. I also think getting a top 5 pick is a fantasy. Top 10 at best, but being out of contract puts us in a very poor situation. Closer to Langdon than Hill.
If Saad is going for 7 we are getting a top 10+ or equivalent.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dont think that should end. You should attack the draft every year whether you are 1st or 18th. The reason we fell off the cliff for 4-5 years was because we didn't draft well (for the picks you have) when we were contending. Trading doesn't work unless you are a destination club which Freo isn't

100%

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't get one pick inside the top 6 and another inside the top 20.
or 2 inside top 10?

Purely hypothetically, If Cerra nominated Carlton, they can trade their F1 for a pick around 10 and send that and pick 6 to us.

Go to the draft and get: Van Rooyan, Williams and Bazzo in the 1st round, and take Erasmus in the second (might have to live trade).

If we managed that we'd be top 4 team in 3 years, and have a decade at the top bringing home 3 Premierships.

We wont though - it's just an idea.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
Lot of coin.
He's borderline worth it. He's no Martin lbh

Say he does sign, he better be a top 3 player onward otherwise things can easily derail. I wonder what Brayshaw is thinking “I got offered less money (at least I think he was) because I’m not some sooky flight risk?”

Look at Carlton with Williams being on 800k. Players start using that as a yardstick in contract talks. If I’m Cripps or McKay no way I’m accepting less money than what Williams is on.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Obvs depends on the club and where they finish, but I think the best we could do would be:

Saints (pick 9-11)
2021 + 2022 first <-> Cerra + future 2nd

Carlton (pick 7-10)
2021 first + 2nd rounder <-> Cerra + future 3rd

Bombers (pick 3-6)
2021 first + 3rd <-> Cerra + future 4th

Not counting Tigers, North, Dees or Hawks as I think they are unrealistic although I can imaging getting pick 2 from North if they get a PP. I can't imagine Cerra wanting to go there after rebuilding here for 4 years though.
No ambitious player will willingly go to North.

But if we are going to get less then what we want, then I wouldn't trade and let the Roos take him in the PSD

se17enteen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dillon Panthers
Are we really offering Cerra 3 million over 4 years?

Tell him to jog on.

Yep and that would make him the 2nd highest paid player at the club after Fyfe and he STILL won’t sign.

Zero B&F
Zero All Australian

Getting paid based on potential and the fact that he is Victorian. Makes you love Brayshaw and Ryan even more each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Dogs have market disadvantages but don't have active forces against them.

Lets look at my list

Unsupportive WAFC vs AFL see the Dogs importance to growing the game in the migrant western Melbourne
Anti Fremantle Media vs Media is slightly pro
WAFL clubs white anting us vs Doesn't exist for the dogs
Powerful club up the road controlling the agenda vs They are in a crowded market but the big clubs are not actively targeting them like West Coast with us
Not in the AFL interest for Fremantle to be successful vs see point one
Losing Culture vs Western Bulldogs do have a losing culture
Vic Metro draftees wanting to stay in Victoria vs They don't have that issue
Lack of Father Sons and academy not the same benefit as the Northern teams vs 4 father sons in their grand final team
Extra travel vs they travel less

Western Bulldogs get $5m - $6m more funding per year from the AFL than the Dockers. That evens out the advantages we do have.
I think you are right re us being irrelevant to the powers that be. Both at the WAFC & AFL House.

The only way we get relevancy is to over-achieve for a long enough time to develop a sizable number of rusted on supporters and to be a "2nd favourite". The big teams today got that way through enough sustained success sometime in the past to get a lot of support across a generation or 2 of supporters.

That is how the Hawks got where they are today. The Dees are still trading on their outrageous success in the 50s. Carlton are trading on their past now and look like they will for a while to come.

The implication here is that we are a team that simply cannot ever, under any circumstances, afford the luxury of the "rebuild". Our off-field leaders should be thinking like Sydney did 20-25 years ago: you always need to be playing finals by whatever means necessary because that is the only way to be relevant.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
As steak knives? Neither worth much more than 30, if at all. Also, Geelong isn't in Melbourne, so any trade for those blokes would not be involved for Cerra.

Also, bit early on Neale isn't it?

If Saad is going for 7 we are getting a top 10+ or equivalent.
I don’t know what else would be factored into a trade, but those two would be of interest to me in a trade. I wouldn’t expect top trade value should Cerra leave, and I don’t see us moving forward with continually playing in development mode.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
How would a Cerra Cripps trade look? Anything needed to be thrown in from Freo? Cripps is obviously better but he’s pretty banged up and older

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back