List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assets: 2021 first round, 2021 second round, 2022 first round, 2022 second round, 2022 third round, 2022 fourth round

Dockers Uncontracted:
Cerra - priority signing
Banfield - delist
Bewley - one year or delist
Tucker - 2 years
Mundy - one more why not
Hughes - 2 years
Treacy - upgrade and sign 2 years
Schultz - 1 or 2 years
Meek - 2 years
Taberner - 2 years
Frederick - 2 years
Crowden - 1 year or delist
Wilson - 2 years
Conca - 2 years
Switkowski - 1 year or delist
Giro - delist
Hill - 1 year or retire
Duman - delist
Colyer - retire
Watson - upgrade and 1 year
Thomas - another year on the rookie list

Free agents (R) restricted (U) Unrestricted Targets
Cripps R - like but too expensive and not a need
McIntosh R - upgrade on a wing?

WA uncontracted players and a need
Sharpe - upgrade?
Bolton - yes please
Baker - he a small defender but our defense has a lot of medium and tall backs

WA Contracted with one more years and a need
Carroll - upgrade?
Clarke - yes please
McDonald - yes please

Frederick is not out of contract.

I say this at the start of every year but surely this is Mundy’s last year.

I just noticed this.... Matt Tarbener is a free agent this season.

Ok so after slowly developing from his debut year in 2013 and having the last 2-3 seasons of his career marred by injury, He kicks 29 goals and 13 behinds from 16 games in 2020.

I would love him to play all 22 regular season games in 2021. He would easily have a 30-35, he even possibly kick 40 goals this season.

My biggest fear is this: Say if he kicks 35-40 goals this season, would any of the vic clubs circling him? I say 2-4 clubs would want a tall forward like him at a reasonable wage on a 3 year deal.

My biggest fear is this: Say if he kicks 35-40 goals this season, would any of the vic clubs circling him? I say 2-4 clubs would want a tall forward like him at a reasonable wage on a 3 year deal.
We will be offering him a reasonable wage on a 3 year deal, so I doubt that would get him to sign with another club. It is possible that he gets offered a much bigger contract for both dollars and years, which would be a problem given our neglect of the KPF stocks over the years. A player from the draft won’t do it for several year, and we have an appalling history trading for KPFs.

Other clubs will know this too and the end result is likely to be an inflated contract which we have little option to negotiate.

I am negative Nancy but I do think the likes of Brayshaw, Young, and Serong will stay.

Serong whole family around Warragul (Country Victorian) have turned purple but Cerra family live in Melbourne and still support Richmond. Source first cousins of both Serong and Cerra.

Serong and Young has a bromance.

Young from Somerville which is like Byford near the coast.

Sturt is from the Mount Eliza 50km to Melbourne, not far from Somerville

Brayshaw has signed 4 years and have ties in WA.

Ryan has a bromance with Cox.

Only Cerra is a worry for me.
I saw Cerra and Brayshaw share a drink bottle in the sauna in Cockburn fwiw

This morning's game opened up some interesting trains of thought with regard to who we should be drafting/delisting etc.

Guys like Serong, Freddy, Young, Henry etc look like taking the next step. Crowden looks solid. Meek and Treacy look like they might fill the holes where we had them last year.
Pearce and Hamling back on give us more depth down back than we know what to do with. Chapman has solidified that area further

What should our priorities be in this coming draft period?

Watching the mids, I'm not at all interested any more in Cripps. I think we have the midfield covered, unless we invest through the draft.
I was watching Mundy out there thinking: he could go one more I reckon.

Stephen Hill is done, sadly. Colyer, Banfield and Giro also in immediate trouble.

My thoughts are: If we go to the draft, we take the best KPF we can, then look at another inside mid and a depth ruck

For me we should be targeting a depth ruck in the mid season draft if we have a pick available.

Some would say I’m being negative etc. but this is AFL - long term injuries are extremely likely to happen.

With all other needs I think we should be drafting for more than just depth tbh so I’d rather target these needs in the next couple of drafts.

For me we should be targeting a depth ruck in the mid season draft if we have a pick available.
If we are up to our elbows in it, we should look at listing Sandilands again.

He is not far off ready to go if needed and would only get a game if we are missing Darcy and Meek.

He is not far off ready to go if needed and would only get a game if we are missing Darcy and Meek.

I’m not talking about if we’re desperate for this season tbh. If we lost a player in a position we have plenty of depth in anyway, I’d be drafting a project/depth ruck before looking at other players. Three rucks (two if you don’t include Lobb) on our list isn’t enough imo.

I’d rather use first and second round draft picks on our other needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a small thing - Given Lachie Schultz is originally from Moama wouldn’t that make his State of Origin NSW rather than VIC?
Maybe, but he played his football south of there so I have him as a Victorian. As opposed to the likes of Tom Mitchell who is Victorian but played in WA for his juniors because his dad worked for us.

I’m not talking about if we’re desperate for this season tbh. If we lost a player in a position we have plenty of depth in anyway, I’d be drafting a project/depth ruck before looking at other players. Three rucks (two if you don’t include Lobb) on our list isn’t enough imo.

I’d rather use first and second round draft picks on our other needs.
If Meek plays the start of the season and holds his own we won't have him in 2022 either. So we will have Darcy and no backup.

I agree, we need some ruckmen/tall key forwards. Perhaps a discussion on the value of drafting a player for depth with a second position elsewhere and whether that leads to lesser outcomes for both traits is warranted.

If Meek plays the start of the season and holds his own we won't have him in 2022 either. So we will have Darcy and no backup.

I agree, we need some ruckmen/tall key forwards. Perhaps a discussion on the value of drafting a player for depth with a second position elsewhere and whether that leads to lesser outcomes for both traits is warranted.

My thoughts exactly tbh.

Thinking it’d be worth trading or picking up a DFA if Meek leaves. We’ll need someone who’s ready to go. They’ll probably be a last resort at best so we’d also need to draft a real ruck prospect to develop.

There seems to be as many 19 year old rucks drafted as 18 year old rucks so I think they’ll be some value in the MSD. It just may not be there by the time we have a selection.

So people realistically think we are going to find ruck depth better than Lobb?

I personally think a ruck would be the last thing I'd take in the MSD. If we need depth in future years then you grab one of the ones being pushed out by another AFL club at the time.

He said he started feeling his calf 500m into a run. No chance he makes a return.

So people realistically think we are going to find ruck depth better than Lobb?

I personally think a ruck would be the last thing I'd take in the MSD. If we need depth in future years then you grab one of the ones being pushed out by another AFL club at the time.

If the Mid Season Draft had existed for the last decade the following guys would’ve been available.

Reilly O’Brien
Oscar McInerney
Darcy Cameron
Rory Lobb
Lloyd Meek
Darcy Fort
Jarrod Witts
Brayden Pruess
Toby Nankervis
Rowan Marshall
Sam Naismith
Callum Sinclair
Tim English

Would’ve thought that’s a pretty handy list given the amount of rucks on AFL lists.

For me Lobb is a forward who rucks a bit - I want it to stay that way as much as possible.

If the Mid Season Draft had existed for the last decade the following guys would’ve been available.

Reilly O’Brien
Oscar McInerney
Darcy Cameron
Rory Lobb
Lloyd Meek
Darcy Fort
Jarrod Witts
Brayden Pruess
Toby Nankervis
Rowan Marshall
Sam Naismith
Callum Sinclair
Tim English

Would’ve thought that’s a pretty handy list given the amount of rucks on AFL lists.

For me Lobb is a forward who rucks a bit - I want it to stay that way as much as possible.
strong post to avatar correlation :)

Reilly O’Brien
Oscar McInerney
Darcy Cameron
Rory Lobb
Lloyd Meek
Darcy Fort
Jarrod Witts
Brayden Pruess
Toby Nankervis
Rowan Marshall
Sam Naismith
Callum Sinclair
Tim English

There is a big difference between being available should a mid season draft exist and actually being on the radar at the time.

In hindsight a lot of these wouldn't have lasted to the rookie draft if they had been on the radar mid season.

And secondly quite a few are at their second club. Meaning you can let someone else develop them and then grab them once they are developed.

There is also a much longer list of failed ruck prospects that you need to provide to get a more complete picture of the success and failure with drafting and developing rucks.

Personally I want to back in Darcy and Meek. They are two of the best young ruck prospects around. Lobb is ample break in case of emergency backup. I'd much prefer another KPF prospect as cover for Tabs/Lobb/Treacy in the MSD, than a third ruck to stunt development at Peel like we had when Jones etc were also on the list.

Outside Jackson Merrett playing for Peel, do the Merrett's have any connection to WA?

Zack really is the player we should be going after over Cripps.

Suits us better, will cost less $$$'s and if Essendon finish low enough (and they should be bottom 4), he'd not cost any draft capital

Meek stepping up changes things significantly. If at the end of the year all three of our rucks have had a decent run with injury and shown good form, I would go hard for a forward/ruck in the draft. If they were breaking down with injury, look for a journeyman in the MSD.

Would Nads be worth looking to pick up again in the MSD should we be looking for a Fwd/Ruck? I feel like he didn’t get a proper go at it and might be a bit more hungry.

There is a big difference between being available should a mid season draft exist and actually being on the radar at the time.

In hindsight a lot of these wouldn't have lasted to the rookie draft if they had been on the radar mid season.

And secondly quite a few are at their second club. Meaning you can let someone else develop them and then grab them once they are developed.

There is also a much longer list of failed ruck prospects that you need to provide to get a more complete picture of the success and failure with drafting and developing rucks.

Personally I want to back in Darcy and Meek. They are two of the best young ruck prospects around. Lobb is ample break in case of emergency backup. I'd much prefer another KPF prospect as cover for Tabs/Lobb/Treacy in the MSD, than a third ruck to stunt development at Peel like we had when Jones etc were also on the list.

From a WA perspective Darcy Cameron and Tim English definitely would’ve been picked. Both were talked about heaps all year.

I feel like Meek was only narrowly overlooked the year before too.

Everyone else - can’t remember tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back