List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon prying 25 out of Carlton's hands is going to be hard work and its going to have a lot of value. I suppose the F4s chucked in those last trades cancel out really but I think Geelong are getting real greedy demanding a F4 in that trade if you assume their F3 should be around pick 50

I agree - I think we are forgetting that we are not really in a great bargaining position; the whole "Cerra to Melbourne maybe?" saga feels totally about trying to gain enough competition to make sure we at least get their pick 6 and something else, but the unfortunate reality is that getting pick 25 as well is going to be a hard slog unless some other victorian club/s come to the party.

I suppose the F4s chucked in those last trades cancel out really but I think Geelong are getting real greedy demanding a F4 in that trade if you assume their F3 should be around pick 50
Have been thinking about the Clark trade and I reckon we may be underestimating his market value slightly with the general consensus being he's worth pick 27.

Had a look at the Caldwell trade, it's a recent precedent. Highly rated youngster who battled injury throughout his first year and struggled for senior opportunities, only managed 11 games in his two years at GWS. Not to mention, Caldwell was OOC when he was traded with picks 44 and 74 for Essendon's 24 and future second. On points, probably works out to roughly pick 20.

I may be way off the mark here, but say we value Clark at pick 27, is there some reason why he's worth significantly less than Caldwell was last year?

I'd begrudgingly accept (given the status of his contract) that we might have to cough up a little more than pick 27 for Clark. Whether or not we should, is another question entirely.

I recognise this post may be unpopular, I'm not advocating that we give up a king's ransom for Clark. Just questioning whether the consensus on this board underestimates his value a little.

It astounds me that Geelong want more than 27. They will pat themselves on the back for being a tough trading club and yet do nothing to stop the retirement home derailing. What a joke. If you are a player why would you want to go to GFC?
They actually have a reasonable trade history, but like us, if a player is in contract they play hard.

Have been thinking about the Clark trade and I reckon we may be underestimating his market value slightly with the general consensus being he's worth pick 27.

Had a look at the Caldwell trade, it's a recent precedent. Highly rated youngster who battled injury throughout his first year and struggled for senior opportunities, only managed 11 games in his two years at GWS. Not to mention, Caldwell was OOC when he was traded with picks 44 and 74 for Essendon's 24 and future second. On points, probably works out to roughly pick 20.

I may be way off the mark here, but say we value Clark at pick 27, is there some reason why he's worth significantly less than Caldwell was last year?

I'd begrudgingly accept (given the status of his contract) that we might have to cough up a little more than pick 27 for Clark. Whether or not we should, is another question entirely. Superkoops suggestion of a swap of later picks to even the ledger may be more realistic than handing over 27 outright for a contracted Clark.

I recognise this post may be unpopular, I'm not advocating that we give up a king's ransom for Clark. Just questioning whether the consensus on this board underestimates his value a little.
You can compare to Caldwell, you can also compare to Fogarty and Jack Higgins

Fogarty & 38 -> 30 and 51
Played about 6 less games, contracted, first round pick the year before Clark was drafted

Higgins & 21 -> 17 and F2
Played more games, was actually picked when available for the most part, first round pick the year before Clark was drafted

Important to note while uncontracted, he was traded a year earlier and I reckon if Caldwell had have been traded this year then he wouldnt have gotten that extra pick upgrade without playing more games, ie the situation Clark is in. Fogarty and Higgins are the most applicable recent trades and the one I'll base the trade on. No way we should pay more than Higgins and we wont pay less than Fogarty

It seems that Clark may be off the table until things get sorted at Geelong.
Just read on Fox, that he may hold off until Scarlett is gone.
It appears Scarlett would not play him down back and preferred to play him on the wing.
Not sure that the same wouldn't apply if he came to Fremantle.
I would think that players play where the coach instructs them to.

With which pick?

If you want him it will need to be with Pick 8 (assuming we have that) or Pick 10 IMO. I know Chris25 has him rated outside of the Top 20 (I am going to guess simply because there is not enough exposed form for him) but I think in the draft he is unlikely to go later than 15.

It appears Scarlett would not play him down back and preferred to play him on the wing.
Why wouldn’t WC and Clark be talking? If I were them I’d prefer him than SPS. Brander to Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he doesn’t get here, Fyfe’s going to look a bit silly.

If geelong wants something between 15 and 27 ,the only way to do with out splitting our top 10 pick may be a 3 way trade? Bulldogs get our 27 and geelong's 30 .geelong get dogs 17 and we get clark. May be some additional pick swaps can be done if any one of the 3 teams feel they are getting unders...

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's no way Clark is worth more than 27. If the shoe was on the other foot - it would be a future second or worst. Look at what we got for Langdon. Someone who was in our best 22 and featured in our top 5 b&f.

Clark is fringe at Geelong and yet to prove that he has the dedication and talent for AFL. Pick 27 or we move on and we pick him up cheaper next year.

Why wouldn’t WC and Clark be talking? If I were them I’d prefer him than SPS. Brander to Geelong.

Was thinking about this too, and thought gee they could potentially get some real steals with their late second rounders if they both turned out alright. But they are pretty strapped for cash so think rules out JC. And Samo will have to take what ever $ he can get now he’s pigeonholed himself to the scum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back