List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah fair enough in that we will demote 2 more after the National draft, it won't affect how many picks we have for that draft (Mostly what my post was trying to judge) but it does help with the cap space, interesting rule they have brought in.

Wonder if other clubs can pinch the players or if its a straight demotion to the list? wording in this article makes it seem like a straight demotion, no delisting required

They do however then become Free Agents, in later drafts to be picked up for Zero, SFA, Zilch… other than compensation as determined by AFL so effectively SFA.

It’s a double edged sword.

They do however then become Free Agents, in later drafts to be picked up for Zero, SFA, Zilch… other than compensation as determined by AFL so effectively SFA.

It’s a double edged sword.
Yeah, better for someone like a Colyer who it won't matter for or even Blakely as I doubt anyone trades for him next year and would likely be a DFA anyway

Pretty sure Benning is a lock as he only needs to last past pick 20 doesn’t he? Different to Motlop under the rules who must last to pick 40.
Not exactly, we can match anything after 20 but will need points up til 40 I think?

Which we don't have so it will send us in a deficit next year which we also don't have points for

Benning won't go before 40 anyway but it basically comes down to having Benning on the main list or as a free hit Cat B, Free hit is much preferable

We tried to sneak Western and Walker as Cat B last year but unfortunately after we passed they got bid on

Not exactly, we can match anything after 20 but will need points up til 40 I think?

Which we don't have so it will send us in a deficit next year which we also don't have points for

Benning won't go before 40 anyway but it basically comes down to having Benning on the main list or as a free hit Cat B, Free hit is much preferable

We tried to sneak Western and Walker as Cat B last year but unfortunately after we passed they got bid on
We have a couple of picks in the 60s.

We have a couple of picks in the 60s.
Yeah but thats not enough points 61(135) 69(49) = 184 for any pick in the 20 to 40 range even after the discount

AFAIK 20 (912) to 40 (429) is the old bidding system with points and the 20% discount, then after 40 it becomes just straight next pick

its a moot point though as Benning is highly unlikely to go before 40 imo

Yeah but thats not enough points 61(135) 69(49) = 184 for any pick in the 20 to 40 range even after the discount

AFAIK 20 (912) to 40 (429) is the old bidding system with points and the 20% discount, then after 40 it becomes just straight next pick

its a moot point though as Benning is highly unlikely to go before 40 imo
They will go up a fair bit when the picks to match bids by other clubs get taken off the board

They will go up a fair bit when the picks to match bids by other clubs get taken off the board
Yeah fair call there, if they jump to 50 and 55 (generous) then we can match after about 31

I still think Benning lasts til after 40 though, so it doesn't really matter too much

I'd be more concerned about what we can turn those picks into in futures when they slide in, probably won't be able to get anything but maybe?

Plastic? Really? what about the ESG principles of the client? Don't you mean a PDF document with a photoshopped graphic design cover with some blonde babe in glasses and a suit with her the top buttons of her shirt slightly undone looking pensively at a computer with some half faded charts in the background?

The draft can’t come soon enough….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, better for someone like a Colyer who it won't matter for or even Blakely as I doubt anyone trades for him next year and would likely be a DFA anyway
One thing I wonder about with delisting contracted players with a view to picking them up in the rookie draft is whether delisting them impacts their status as contracted in any way, such that a player has to agree (sign a variation), or else it is a de facto termination = payout of entire remaining contract under the current year's salary cap. So the player may need to be incentivised (more pay, contract extension) to agree to the terms.

Yeah fair call there, if they jump to 50 and 55 (generous) then we can match after about 31

I still think Benning lasts til after 40 though, so it doesn't really matter too much

I'd be more concerned about what we can turn those picks into in futures when they slide in, probably won't be able to get anything but maybe?
Saints hopefully a chance to live trade a F3 for points

One thing I wonder about with delisting contracted players with a view to picking them up in the rookie draft is whether delisting them impacts their status as contracted in any way, such that a player has to agree (sign a variation), or else it is a de facto termination = payout of entire remaining contract under the current year's salary cap. So the player may need to be incentivised (more pay, contract extension) to agree to the terms.
Taylor would know for sure, but I believe you can pay them what you like outside any afl restrictions on the first couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that if you pick them up again then usually they can't get paid for both contracts, they would just nominate their terms in the rookie draft and you pickup the effectively same contract.

My assumption is you basically always get them to tick off that you are going to be doing that because there is always a chance someone could steal them and they would then possibly have to uproot their lives and move state.

You also run the risk of them getting delisted and taking that year off with their full pay if they don't then nominate for the draft, unlikely for sure but clubs would reduce risk where possible.

Usually the rookie list demote is for last chance players do they don't mind but now with this lifetime DFA it is smarter to do it for players like Colyer, as long as someone else won't take them

Saints hopefully a chance to live trade a F3 for points
On draft night the strategy should be as follows:
Add three players to the main list in the top 22 or so selections.
Watch picks 61 & 69 come in as bids are matched, then the minute the 40th selection is made trade out those 2 picks (by then probably picks 50 and 58) for a future third or fourth.
Once pick 40 is made, we can match benning or Motlop with the next available pick (can be pick 120 and 121, doesn’t matter). Points are then irrelevant.
Motlop definitely won’t make the rookie list so if he’s still on the board after pick 40 then match him with the next pick available, having traded out the original picks 61 and 69 in to next year.
Same with Benning if a bid comes. If no main draft bid for Benning, then add him to the Cat B list (ideal).
If Motlop is gone by pick 40, then it MAY be possible to pick another main draft slider if Benning makes Cat B. That’s a bit of a tricky one, as we can’t be certain of the former before the latter happens.
We want to avoid last years scenario where a pick in the 50s was essentially wasted.

We may feel that we have to keep our points until after 40 for Benning, not sure but it may factor into the clubs thinking

the rules have changed, we’ll be trading away 61 and 69 if we can, assuming we want Benning and Motlop.

if we have 6,8,19 (trade up or away 61,69) 84,102

If Benning is bid on at 25 it’ll consume pick 84 (we don’t need to make up points), just our next pick. Benning is ours after pick 20.

If Motlop is then bid on at 42, it’ll consume pick 102. Again, don’t need to make up points, just the next pick, which will be 102.

Therefore it’s highly likely we will trade 61 and 69 away. Hopefully for a future 3rd. They’ll likely be involved if we downgrade 19 too, possibly to fetch us a future 2nd. On the other hand we may choose to wait until we hit pick 40, to see if Motlop slides before trading them away.

Their contract in it's entirety is moved into the current year for Total Player Payments unless we come to an agreement to pay out early and part ways - but even that money is included in the current year salary cap.

Picking up the player on the rookie list has been used as a way of moving that payment into the follow year's salary cap with $80,000 ish not included due to the rookie list concession, but if the player isn't picked up by an AFL club then their contract is effectively terminated in it's entirety in the current year and included in the salary cap.

So that does mean we could delist someone with a contract and another club could select them and take over their existing contract, no salary cap impact for us.

On the other hand we may choose to wait until we hit pick 40, to see if Motlop slides before trading them away.
This would be the most sensible plan, the issue though is that almost all the clubs are in the same position we are on NGA players so after #40 a lot of later picks no longer have value for points for them either.

A club that has a bunch of 2022 picks and their entire draft wiped out matching a father son would be the most likely in my opinion. Picks in the 50s wouldn't be super valuable anyway but I agree we could flip those GC 4ths into 2022 3rds.

Clark is sounding more and more like a problem that Geelong are stuck with and wants off its books. That they are asking Freo to give up an excellent draft pick to take the baggage on seems fanciful but why not give it a go? Surely they'll take the 22 at the last minute. If we don't get him, fine by me.

He was a problem because he absolutely under no circumstances wanted to play there ever again or even go back to Victoria. If that's not a problem for a club, I dont know what is.

We have him now after the disappointment of missing out on drafting him in 2018. And have Sturt in the wings (fingers crossed he gets on the field) because we missed him.

He was a problem because he absolutely under no circumstances wanted to play there ever again or even go back to Victoria. If that's not a problem for a club, I dont know what is.

We have him now after the disappointment of missing out on drafting him in 2018. And have Sturt in the wings (fingers crossed he gets on the field) because we missed him.

Did you just reassure yourself from earlier in the day?

If so - I’m impressed.

So is Bell playing cat and mouse games stating we will take Best Available with our top ten picks?
Seems bizarre when we just took Young, Serong, Henry and Chapman.
Add Clark, Brodie, and the list looks shallow on medium/tall forwards and Lobbs future?
Taking another kid who doesn’t buy in , sure at least we will win
Trade week😳

So is Bell playing cat and mouse games stating we will take Best Available with our top ten picks?
Seems bizarre when we just took Young, Serong, Henry and Chapman.
Add Clark, Brodie, and the list looks shallow on medium/tall forwards and Lobbs future?
Taking another kid who doesn’t buy in , sure at least we will win
Trade week😳

I see best available being the player that we see as best available, for us, i.e. after taking everything into consideration: list needs, personality fit, where they're from, likelhood of fitting our culture and adding to it, loyalty etc, etc,. It may not be best available for a different club and most certainly may not be best available to what the media and Bigfooty experts put out.

I see best available being the player that we see as best available, for us, i.e. after taking everything into consideration: list needs, personality fit, where they're from, likelhood of fitting our culture and adding to it, loyalty etc, etc,. It may not be best available for a different club and most certainly may not be best available to what the media and Bigfooty experts put out.

Doesn’t seem to have worked out that way in the past tbh.

Ultimately I think we need a miss of players over the next two years. We probably need a KPF, forward/ruck, at least one mid and at least one general forward. Preferably we take these guys at highish to give ourselves the best chance of getting a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back