Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am ecstatic with that draft haul, right mix of list needs and best available, the rebuild is done now, we’ll not get another haul like this for the next 5 years (hoping longer actually).

Here’s my take on our current list, as you can see we have genuine depth on all lines now and some very exciting prospects for the future as well:

Starting 22
B: Logue, Pearce, Ryan
HB: Clark, Cox, Young
C: Mundy, Fyfe, Tucker
HF: Schultz(r), Treacy(r), Walters
F: Lobb, Taberner, Sturt
Fol: Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong

Bench: Colyer, Aish, Switkowski, Walker

Seconds:
B:, Kelm(b), Hamling, Hughes
HB: Wilson, Chapman, O’Driscoll
C: Worner(r), Brodie, Frederick
HF: Western, Benning, Henry
F: Banfield(r), Amiss, Erasmus
Fol: Meek, Crowden(r), Johnson

Bench: Valente, Acres, Blakely(r)

Out:
Cerra, Hill, Conca, Duman, Giro, Watson(r), Bewley(r), Thomas(b)

In:
Clark, Brodie, Amiss, Erasmus, Johnson, Benning, Kelm(b), Worner(r)

Before you all start jumping up and down about who should be in the starting line up and who should be in the seconds (Peel) let me just say, that’s the point we have real competition for places now, and that will just intensify as the kids we have drafted in the last 3 years develop and press their case for selection.

Happy days and can’t wait for 2022!

Can't we list Acres in the Peel reserves?

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
People really overstate this talls take time thing.

Amiss may take 5-6 to reach his full potential but if he’s truly worth pick 8 (and I believe he is) he’ll 100% play games next year. Top quality talls play games in their first season - outside of guys who have been injured their first year I can’t think of one that hasn’t.

The two mids will play, Benning probably won’t.

Not sure about Worner tbh. Depends how he goes training by himself over what’s likely to be a fair portion of the pre season. Hope we give him at least two years (we usually do) to show he stuff.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Amiss may take 5-6 to reach his full potential but if he’s truly worth pick 8 (and I believe he is) he’ll 100% play games next year. Top quality talls play games in their first season - outside of guys who have been injured their first year I can’t think of one that hasn’t.

Not sure about Worner tbh. Depends how he goes training by himself over what’s likely to be a fair portion of the pre season. Hope we give him at least two years (we usually do) to show he stuff.
Why would he have to train by himself over pre season? He'll get an exemption because this is his job. Even if for some mad reason they didn't give it all he has to do is is spend 2 weeks in SA then he's in.

Would imagine it’s just until after Xmas anyway. No point coming over, quarantining for 2 weeks, training for four, then having a break and having to do it all again.

Pretty sure the current group of vic players we have, never left the state, and potentially won’t either.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
We’ve reached the point where finally guys won’t be gifted games. I didn’t necessarily mind it as was great to see young blokes exposed at this level and gives them drive and on the job learning.

Provided we’re fair dinkum Peel should actually have some solid contributors.

I would hope Amiss, Erasmus and Johnson get a taste of AFL games. None of them walk into best 22.

The next few years are genuinely exciting.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why would he have to train by himself over pre season? He'll get an exemption because this is his job. Even if for some mad reason they didn't give it all he has to do is is spend 2 weeks in SA then he's in.

Can’t answer your questions but I swear I read somewhere that he’ll be staying in Victoria for the time being.

I’d imagine his exemption would involve him doing two weeks of training by himself on Perth. Could be that they don’t want him doing it twice (assuming he goes to Victoria for Christmas).

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Can’t answer your questions but I swear I read somewhere that he’ll be staying in Victoria for the time being.

I’d imagine his exemption would involve him doing two weeks of training by himself on Perth. Could be that they don’t want him doing it twice (assuming he goes to Victoria for Christmas).
Christmas with the Mundy's.

Paracleet

Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Likely the turnaround is the issue with the break approaching. Can't come till his application is approved, then book a flight and a test. Couldn't get out till what the 30th or the 1st at the earliest, then it'd be quarantine for two weeks which he'd get out of just in time for 1 or 2 sessions before Christmas.

Presumably then the plan is to fly in immediately after Christmas, then he likely won't miss any training at all as his quarantine would be during the break.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyway my pettifogging original point stands, he won't miss the majority of the pre-season, only the two or three weeks between the draft and the mandatory Christmas break.

It’ll be roughly four weeks training away from the club before Christmas plus maybe a week or two afterward.

My post never said a majority- it said a fair portion. From my way of thinking 5-6 weeks of a three month pre season is fair portion.

Not sure it’ll have much impact on him tbh, especially if we find a way for him to train with a VFL team or something (for the footy component).

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know we have been frustrated in the past not picking up obvious WA talent. Following the last couple years predominantly WA picks (largely Covid related). If this is successful I wonder if even more weight will be given to local talent.

We might have been lucky that quality players were there at our picks which may not always be the case. But I wonder if it will will drive a better culture at the club with pride to perform & succeed for their local team (within the state).

I know we have been frustrated in the past not picking up obvious WA talent. Following the last couple years predominantly WA picks (largely Covid related). If this is successful I wonder if even more weight will be given to local talent.

We might have been lucky that quality players were there at our picks which may not always be the case. But I wonder if it will will drive a better culture at the club with pride to perform & succeed for their local team (within the state).
Think it’s a combination of picks and players lining up nicely, and Covid.
between travel restrictions, and not a lot of visibility around east coast players. Makes sense.
we saw the issues it caused with our SA players, getting stuck etc.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Optus is a sublime stadium. Covid would no doubt be a factor in drafting guys from out of WA.

But there’s only really one thing that will ultimately snowball the idea of drafting WA kids and WA kids wanting to play for Freo and that’s obviously onfield success.

Not exactly what you meant, I know, but just throwing my 2 cents to your comments.

In reality talent is Australia wide and we shouldn’t necessarily turn our backs on what’s out there. Otherwise you miss the Sean Darcy, Caleb Serong, Luke Ryan types that seem loyal and driven for team success irrespective of where they’re from.

The stars aligned on this one. We needed a key forward and couple of mids. Feels like we got absolute bargains.

Aug 15, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Awesome draft for Freo. To get the 3 best talents in WA with their first 3 picks would be a dream come true. If they could have also got Motlop after pick 40 it would have been a perfect result.
Amiss will hopefully fix their key forward issues in the near future and his partnership with Treacy is the future forward line of the club, while Johnson & Erasmus will add to an already exciting midfield.
The building blocks are in place.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals

Injuries aside Amiss has to beat out Treacy to get a game.

Taberner is first choice
Lobb is first choice
3rd tall is between Treacy/Amiss

Given we will get injuries then yes Amiss most definitely plays next year.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought Kelm was stuck in Ireland for another year. Did this get resolved?
I believe he’s not coming over till “next year” as in January 2022.
he’s rehabbing an injury at present and I think will travel across in January (if McGowan lets him into WA I suppose!)

Paracleet

Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’ll be roughly four weeks training away from the club before Christmas plus maybe a week or two afterward.

My post never said a majority- it said a fair portion. From my way of thinking 5-6 weeks of a three month pre season is fair portion.

Not sure it’ll have much impact on him tbh, especially if we find a way for him to train with a VFL team or something (for the footy component).
You're forgetting the AFL mandatory Christmas break is 3 weeks. If he is keen to take his chance he'll be taking most of that 'break' in quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back