List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I remember hearing, he played ruck in Round 2 against SF because Claremont were short of ruckmen but also plays as a key position defender, which looks like was his position in the 2020 Reserves Grand Final.

Got a vague impression of good bit of play by a ruck in the 2019 colts GF - but not sure if the bit of play I'm associating with is the same player.
Buller played as key forward in the 2017 colts grand final for Claremont as a bottom ager. He is a big lump of a lad and was an outstanding and highly rated junior.

Unfortunately he hasn't come on as many would have thought. I think his lack of pace and agility held him back. Nice kick for a big guy and a strong mark.

Needs to do more to progress beyond state level.

Acres and Aish (same age as Pearce) are also young enough. I reckon one at least will still be in the side. Push Henry to the HFF.
I am not sure where Henry plays his best football. Either Wing or HFF would work, but I don't think he is a forward pocket.

Age cut off was 26, but I did include Acres or Aish as I like Frederick and Henry on the wings, and did not want them in the forward line.

If either of them are the 22nd player pick in our team, then we are fine but ideally they would only be depth players.

I am not as bullish on JVR as some here. I don't see him as a top 10 talent. He needs more strings to his bow than being a mark and kick type of forward, although he does both very well.

I think Williams as a KF has way more upside, even Bazzo as a non KF has more upside, only my opinion of course.
I agree you need more than one method of finding the ball. I can't wait to see all these WA KPFs play this year.

I say it every year but with the WA talent this year, I'd be chucking in that future first to see what we can get. Should come away with two picks inside 15 and change as well as our 2nd.

Johnson and Williams/JVR? Works for me

would rather take Williams or Van Rooyen first atleast we know they will be there
Have to agree it’s dire, and if we leave it to chance another club will pounce.
Second round forward/midfielder.
It worked for Sydney with Warner.
Robertson, etc, plenty of quality mids taken later.

I say it every year but with the WA talent this year, I'd be chucking in that future first to see what we can get. Should come away with two picks inside 15 and change as well as our 2nd.

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. This might be the year to do it. The faster we get the new talent in the better.

There is gun WA talent every year. I think you can only justify that sort of thing if they slip a fair way or if we rate them higher than everyone else (ie Cartlon and Stocker).

We need patience. Throwing picks after Lobb and Hogan because we wanted them now is part of the reason we're not there yet.

The importance of a quality spine is like a massive beacon that gets highlighted almost weekly and yet some Freo supporters are now saying "we need to prioritise a big bodied midfielder"?!? We just got pumped by a team missing a heap of talent (and without a big bodied midfielder) that stood up because it has really competent tall forwards.

Nah, lets hope some fall through to the 2nd round 🤦‍♀️

The trouble is, we need both - quality forwards and a quality mid. If we can get one of each early in this years draft it’d be ideal. Fyfe, Mundy and Walters won’t be around in a few years so we need a replacement and if we’re getting him from the draft and want him to be ready when we should be challenging we need to get him this year or at the latest next. I like the sound of the highly rated mids (top 6 or so) this year that they’re goal kicking mids and genuine forward threats.

Last edited:
Strongly agree on this one. All I’m on getting some local KPWs, pay up next years

Buller played as key forward in the 2017 colts grand final for Claremont as a bottom ager. He is a big lump of a lad and was an outstanding and highly rated junior.

Unfortunately he hasn't come on as many would have thought. I think his lack of pace and agility held him back. Nice kick for a big guy and a strong mark.

Needs to do more to progress beyond state level.
What about Oliver Eastland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is gun WA talent every year. I think you can only justify that sort of thing if they slip a fair way or if we rate them higher than everyone else (ie Cartlon and Stocker).

We need patience. Throwing picks after Lobb and Hogan because we wanted them now is part of the reason we're not there yet.
Yeah there is, but not always in our likely range and meeting our needs, as should be the case this year.

Dont think Lobb and Hogan are the correct analogy, we are still going to the draft, we are just going to the draft a year earlier. I think a year earlier will fit with our existing list better

The trouble is, we need both - quality forwards and a quality mid. If we can get one of each early in this years draft it’d be ideal. Fyfe, Mundy and Walters won’t be around in a few years so we need a replacement and if we’re getting him from the draft and want him to be ready when we should be challenging we need to get him this year or at the latest next. I like the sound of the highly rated mids this year that they’re goal kicking mids.
I'm not completely convinced we are that short on the mid front. Do any of the top teams have 4-5 A-grade mids on their lists? Perhaps the Dogs? Anyone else?

I think a few are overreacting because our midfield got pumped on the weekend alongside thinking we are too reliant on Fyfe and Mundy. But the fact we got pumped despite having both Fyfe and Mundy in the midfield should tell us something. That perhaps having a well oiled midfield is more important than the individual parts. A champion team instead of a team of champions. Darcy, Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong are all still young. At their best they are as good as any midfield imo but they are going to have ups and downs and deal with new challenges (like they did against Carlton). I think the learning curve this year has been invaluable for them already, and it will pay off later in the year and into next year - to the point where might see a similar ramp up in performance like Melbourne got with their developing midfield a few years back. I also strongly believe you can plug holes in the midfield via trade if you start with a talented core to build around.

However on the tall forward front the cupboard is bare. We have Tabs who is almost 28 and a 28yo Lobb who has hardly set the world on fire as our KPF options. When they are injured/gone everything rests solely on a 18yo KPF from the rookie list with 3 AFL games experience and no AFL goals to date. If we don't address that gapping hole this draft then we are not being serious about achieving sustained success into the future. I'd honestly take two KPFs this draft with our first two picks. Two chances at nailing a KPF is better than one and we have development capacity for two alongside Treacy. Ideally at least one of the two is versatile enough to play KPD and/or ruck.

There will be plenty of goal kicking mids next year. There are good mids every year. Unless Cerra leaves I'd be focussed solely on acquiring the best KPFs we can get.

I'm not completely convinced we are that short on the mid front. Do any of the top teams have 4-5 A-grade mids on their lists? Perhaps the Dogs? Anyone else?

I think a few are overreacting because our midfield got pumped on the weekend alongside thinking we are too reliant on Fyfe and Mundy. But the fact we got pumped despite having both Fyfe and Mundy in the midfield should tell us something. That perhaps having a well oiled midfield is more important than the individual parts. A champion team instead of a team of champions. Darcy, Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong are all still young. At their best they are as good as any midfield imo but they are going to have ups and downs and deal with new challenges (like they did against Carlton). I think the learning curve this year has been invaluable for them already, and it will pay off later in the year and into next year - to the point where might see a similar ramp up in performance like Melbourne got with their developing midfield a few years back. I also strongly believe you can plug holes in the midfield via trade if you start with a talented core to build around.

However on the tall forward front the cupboard is bare. We have Tabs who is almost 28 and a 28yo Lobb who has hardly set the world on fire as our KPF options. When they are injured/gone everything rests solely on a 18yo KPF from the rookie list with 3 AFL games experience and no AFL goals to date. If we don't address that gapping hole this draft then we are not being serious about achieving sustained success into the future. I'd honestly take two KPFs this draft with our first two picks. Two chances at nailing a KPF is better than one and we have development capacity for two alongside Treacy. Ideally at least one of the two is versatile enough to play KPD and/or ruck.

There will be plenty of goal kicking mids next year. There are good mids every year. Unless Cerra leaves I'd be focussed solely on acquiring the best KPFs we can get.
Jlo doesn’t tag, or double team. Use Meek, Darcy against NN.
Meek would compete in contested ball after the ruck duel. That is where NN makes space for his mids.
Kelly 42 touches, Gaff 35, game over.
Those numbers are embarrassing

Stocker is mud, Hogan has more talent than all of our current forwards and McCarthy put together - he’s just a party boy, Lobb is a top up front runner.
Real issue was Ross ruled the roost and thought he could top up at the time by adding chess pieces instead of rebuilding the list.
This has set our club back another two drafts and crucial development time.
We go balls in this this draft and target local WA talent to rite the list and we will be way further advanced instead of stockpiling go home potential Vic Metros

Hypothetical, where would someone like Patrick Cripps fit into Freos team. Purely as a mid? And how is his age profile? And would we give our #1 pick up for him and hope an 18yo long term development KPF falls to our 2nd?

The reason I ask about Cripps, is because Cal Twomey thinks it is curious he hasn't signed back on with the Blues yet. His manager told Cal it would be done in a few weeks. That was over a month ago.

Is Sam Taylor somebody the dockers should be taking a very good look at!?!
Good fit list wise, balls haven’t dropped, GWS will pay overs to keep him.
Interestingly, mates I know rate him - see him as a rich mans Hamling- has better kicking and game sense, Hammer is great in the contest and terrific spoiler of the ball.
Both great repeat effort defenders

TALKING ABOUT OUR LIST IMO NOBODY IDENTIFIES WHAT IS REAL PROBLEM WHAT BROUGHT CLUBS LIST IN CURRENT SITUATION...

iF YOU HAVE LOOK OUR DRAFTS FROM 2011-2015 BELOW YOU WILL SEE ONLY 5 PLAYERS FROM THIS 5 DRAFTS ARE ON OUR LIST NOW...

THIS 5 DRAFT YEARS DELIVER 23-28 YEARS OLD PLAYERS THIS YEAR.THIS AGE BRACKET IS GROUP WHICH IS CARRYING AVERY TEAM...

UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE ONLY 5 PLAYERS IN THIS AGE BRACKET(TABS,AP,BLAKELY,HUGHES,TUCKER).TWO OF THEM PICKED AS RUCKIES...

THAT IS WHY OUR TEAM IS STRUGGLING BECAUSE WE DON' T HAVE ENOUGH PLAYERS FROM THOSE DRAFT YEARS...THROW IN HOGAN'S

HEROICS AND EVERYTHING BECOMES CLEAR...AND COULD WE PLEASE NOT BASH CURRENT LIST AND FOOTBALL MANAGERS BECAUSE THEY

DOING PRETTY GOOD JOB FROM WHAT WAS LEFT TO THEM AFTER OLD ESTABLISHMENT...

Games played for Freo
National16Tommy Sheridan81
National20Hayden Crozier69
National - Priority29Alex Forster1
National58Lachie Neale135
National71Cam Sutcliffe104
Rookie promotion83Nick Lower22
Rookie8Lee Spurr120
Rookie26Haiden Schloithe0
Rookie44Sam Menegola0
Rookie61Jordan Wilson-King0
Rookie75Clancee Pearce100
Pre-season10Zac Dawson89

DraftSelectionPlayerGames played for Freo
National17Josh Simpson2
National36Tanner Smith4
National39Max Duffy3
Rookie promotion78Clancee Pearce100
Rookie promotion93Lee Spurr120
Rookie11Matt Taberner87*
Rookie25Alex Howson0
Rookie46Craig Moller1
Pre-season8Jack Hannath20
Pre-season14Jesse Crichton18

National17Michael Apeness12
National37Alex Pearce53*
National58Brady Grey21
Rookie promotion70Matt Taberner62
Rookie16Michael Wood0
Rookie32Tom Vandeleur0
Rookie47Jacob Ballard1

National13Lachie Weller47
National34Connor Blakely65*
National54Ed Langdon68
National68Josh Deluca4
Rookie13Ethan Hughes67*
Rookie31Tanner Smith4
Rookie - International48Sean Hurley0

National27Darcy Tucker78*
National38Harley Balic4
National55Sam Collins14
National61Shane Yarran6
Rookie16Matthew Uebergang0
Rookie34Ryan Nyhuis17

If an elite WA midfielder was available early that would be a tough choice imo.
Personally like you have all said I want a KPF but a WA grown mid like Johnson would be near impossible to pass on.
All very much depends on where we finish and current list management - who may jump ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back