Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
This morning's game opened up some interesting trains of thought with regard to who we should be drafting/delisting etc.

Guys like Serong, Freddy, Young, Henry etc look like taking the next step. Crowden looks solid. Meek and Treacy look like they might fill the holes where we had them last year.
Pearce and Hamling back on give us more depth down back than we know what to do with. Chapman has solidified that area further

What should our priorities be in this coming draft period?

Watching the mids, I'm not at all interested any more in Cripps. I think we have the midfield covered, unless we invest through the draft.
I was watching Mundy out there thinking: he could go one more I reckon.

Stephen Hill is done, sadly. Colyer, Banfield and Giro also in immediate trouble.

My thoughts are: If we go to the draft, we take the best KPF we can, then look at another inside mid and a depth ruck

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Assets: 2021 first round, 2021 second round, 2022 first round, 2022 second round, 2022 third round, 2022 fourth round

Dockers Uncontracted:
Cerra - priority signing
Banfield - delist
Bewley - one year or delist
Tucker - 2 years
Mundy - one more why not
Hughes - 2 years
Treacy - upgrade and sign 2 years
Schultz - 1 or 2 years
Meek - 2 years
Taberner - 2 years
Crowden - 1 year or delist
Wilson - 2 years
Conca - 2 years
Switkowski - 1 year or delist
Giro - delist
Hill - 1 year or retire
Duman - delist
Colyer - retire
Watson - upgrade and 1 year
Thomas - another year on the rookie list

Free agents (R) restricted (U) Unrestricted Targets
Cripps R - like but too expensive and not a need
McIntosh R - upgrade on a wing?

WA uncontracted players and a need
Sharpe - upgrade?
Bolton - yes please
Baker - he a small defender but our defense has a lot of medium and tall backs

WA Contracted with one more years and a need
Carroll - upgrade?
Clarke - yes please
McDonald - yes please

Last edited:
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
KPF but if not then best available non-defender (seriously we were overstocked before Chapman and then Watson goes and looks better than solid today).

I think we can afford to take the punt for a few years of high-risk types with our first in the hopes of nailing a game-changer or two for when Fyfe gets past it.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Assets: 2021 first round, 2021 second round, 2022 first round, 2022 second round, 2022 third round, 2022 fourth round

Dockers Uncontracted:
Cerra - priority signing
Banfield - delist
Bewley - one year or delist
Tucker - 2 years
Mundy - one more why not
Hughes - 2 years
Treacy - upgrade and sign 2 years
Schultz - 1 or 2 years
Meek - 2 years
Taberner - 2 years
Frederick - 2 years
Crowden - 1 year or delist
Wilson - 2 years
Conca - 2 years
Switkowski - 1 year or delist
Giro - delist
Hill - 1 year or retire
Duman - delist
Colyer - retire
Watson - upgrade and 1 year
Thomas - another year on the rookie list

Free agents (R) restricted (U) Unrestricted Targets
Cripps R - like but too expensive and not a need
McIntosh R - upgrade on a wing?

WA uncontracted players and a need
Sharpe - upgrade?
Jackson - need for the future, not sure how to Darcy, Jackson and Lobb fit in the same team . Maybe wait a few years
Pickett - originally from WA. Should a priority. Love to see Pickett, Henry and Walters run amok.
Rivers - upgrade on a wing in the future.
Bolton - yes please
Baker - he a small defender but our defense has a lot of medium and tall backs

WA Contracted with one more years and a need
Carroll - upgrade?
Clarke - yes please
McDonald - yes please
Pickett, Jackson and Rivers all signed deals recently, don't think FootyWire ever updated them

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Going to be difficult to predict I reckon. Other clubs will come hard at our emerging youth. I would expect some will be tempted by large contracts. Regardless it is still our tall forwards that need the depth, whether that is via trades for players or picks.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Two more years for Conca would be very generous I reckon. One is plenty given the dearth of defenders. Would give Crowden or even Watson 2 more every day over Conca. Bewley didn’t even get named today so right now he’s got to be looking like delist material too. Schultz is benefitting from the fact that the guy who should be in his position in the B22 (Sturt) can’t get on the park. Switta needs a big season too to remain on the list.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Going to be difficult to predict I reckon. Other clubs will come hard at our emerging youth. I would expect some will be tempted by large contracts. Regardless it is still our tall forwards that need the depth, whether that is via trades for players or picks.
I am negative Nancy but I do think the likes of Brayshaw, Young, and Serong will stay.

Serong whole family around Warragul (Country Victorian) have turned purple but Cerra family live in Melbourne and still support Richmond. Source first cousins of both Serong and Cerra.

Serong and Young has a bromance.

Young from Somerville which is like Byford near the coast.

Sturt is from the Mount Eliza 50km to Melbourne, not far from Somerville

Brayshaw has signed 4 years and have ties in WA.

Ryan has a bromance with Cox.

Only Cerra is a worry for me.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Conca has a trigger in his deal for an extra year.
This he’s worth the extra year for his leadership and general standards around the club, but is he a best 22 player in what will hopefully be a flag contending team in 2023? Not in my opinion. He’ll be 31 by then. Logue has shown the ability to do that lockdown small defender role pretty well, that Conca filled in the second half of last season and is a much superior player to Conca besides.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Only Cerra is a worry for me.
I understand your rationale, and it may happen that Cerra leaves. As happened with others who have left that needs to become an opportunity for us if it happens. Maybe someone like Luke Jackson becomes available. There will be endless speculation, and I fully understand a player not negotiating contracts early in the current circumstances.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I understand your rationale, and it may happen that Cerra leaves. As happened with others who have left that needs to become an opportunity for us if it happens. Maybe someone like Luke Jackson becomes available. There will be endless speculation, and I fully understand a player not negotiating contracts early in the current circumstances.
I love your response.

If we can get players back with the assets Cerra brings then I'm ok with that ie Cerra gets draft picks and then we on trade to bring in other players.

Cerra bring in draft picks isn't much good.

I do agree that Cerra will be a better deal if he doesn't sign too early. Smart of his manager. Still makes me nervous.

Cerra's cousin works at my local shopping centre and we had a conversation because of was wearing a Victorian Fremantle jumper. I ask her if Cerra was happy at Fremantle but she only answered that Cerra wasn't happy not playing in midfield.

Serong's cousin I meet at work. He said that the whole family covert to the purple. I brought the conversation because his last name is Serong.

Serongs seem like a more close knit family than the Cerras.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Two more years for Conca would be very generous I reckon. One is plenty given the dearth of defenders. Would give Crowden or even Watson 2 more every day over Conca. Bewley didn’t even get named today so right now he’s got to be looking like delist material too. Schultz is benefitting from the fact that the guy who should be in his position in the B22 (Sturt) can’t get on the park. Switta needs a big season too to remain on the list.
Conca has played some solid footy at Freo. 2 years is fine for an experienced player like him. Best case scenario he is in the starting 18 as a back pocket or a mid. Worse case scenario he is depth.

I got a feeling he is going to play a part in getting Freo to finals this season .

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love your response.

If we can get players back with the assets Cerra brings then I'm ok with that ie Cerra gets draft picks and then we on trade to bring in other players.

Cerra bring in draft picks isn't much good.

I do agree that Cerra will be a better deal if he doesn't sign too early. Smart of his manager. Still makes me nervous.

Cerra's cousin works at my local shopping centre and we had a conversation because of was wearing a Victorian Fremantle jumper. I ask her if Cerra was happy at Fremantle but she only answered that Cerra wasn't happy not playing in midfield.

Serong's cousin I meet at work. He said that the whole family covert to the purple. I brought the conversation because his last name is Serong.

Serongs seem like a more close knit family than the Cerras.
I have met a number of Serongs family and friends, they are involved in the dairy farming industry. All reports are he’s very happy and settled at freo. A friends son played with him at gippy power, he also said Sam Flanders was apparently devastated to be drafted to Gold Coast on draft night! Interestingly they rated Flanders equally good as Serong and would have watched both dozens of times as juniors.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Conca has played some solid footy at Freo. 2 years is fine for an experienced player like him. Best case scenario he is in the starting 18 as a back pocket or a mid. Worse case scenario he is depth.

I got a feeling he is going to play a part in getting Freo to finals this season .
You cannot underestimate experience around a young group. We have a lot of good young players coming through & you need a bloke like Conca to counteract that & lead with his actions & words.

Those youngens will have a higher ceiling & will reach it occasionally during their first 50-70 games, but you know what your going to get with the likes of Conca & Mundy week in week out.

Particularly in close games which will become the norm as I can’t see us getting blown out of the water with our strong defence & coaching structure.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have met a number of Serongs family and friends, they are involved in the dairy farming industry. All reports are he’s very happy and settled at freo. A friends son played with him at gippy power, he also said Sam Flanders was apparently devastated to be drafted to Gold Coast on draft night! Interestingly they rated Flanders equally good as Serong and would have watched both dozens of times as juniors.
Does anyone know if Flanders is any good? Maybe we can snatch him and they can become our Ryan/Cox duo.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
You cannot underestimate experience around a young group. We have a lot of good young players coming through & you need a bloke like Conca to counteract that & lead with his actions & words.

Those youngens will have a higher ceiling & will reach it occasionally during their first 50-70 games, but you know what your going to get with the likes of Conca & Mundy week in week out.

Particularly in close games which will become the norm as I can’t see us getting blown out of the water with our strong defence & coaching structure.
The 2017-18 seasons was the toughest bit of the rebuild in my opinion.

Getting those kids in 2016 draft in Griffin Logue, Sean Darcy, Brennan Cox and Luke Ryan filled up some important holes in the team.

All had debut games in 2017 and all are in their 5th season.

In the 2017 draft we got guys like Brayshaw, Banfield, cerra, crowden and Giro.

Brayshaw and Cerra are important cogs in the midfield. Crowden has been solid. Hoping Banfield and giro improve this season.

The 30 year old mids like Conca, Mundy and Stephen Hill were important to help work with the younger players.

Once Conca, Mundy, Hill, Fyfe, Walters, Lobb and wilson careers are over. Those 2016 and 2017 draftees will be in that prime 24-27 year old range to be the main core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back