Status
Not open for further replies.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Meek stepping up changes things significantly. If at the end of the year all three of our rucks have had a decent run with injury and shown good form, I would go hard for a forward/ruck in the draft. If they were breaking down with injury, look for a journeyman in the MSD.

Could work both ways tbh - what if Meek performs so well he’s offered three years and a no.1 ruck spot at another club?

Happy with what we did in the draft last year but ideally we’d have another ruckman on the list. Ideally it’d be a forward/ruck but there’s probably a handful of good forward/rucks in the league - they’re much harder to find.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would Nads be worth looking to pick up again in the MSD should we be looking for a Fwd/Ruck? I feel like he didn’t get a proper go at it and might be a bit more hungry.
Wouldn't have thought so. Has he even had a good WAFL run of form? seemed to me like he fell off the planet.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Meek really does step up and ends up being traded to another club we should get a reasonable pick in return no?

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
From a WA perspective Darcy Cameron and Tim English definitely would’ve been picked. Both were talked about heaps all year.

I feel like Meek was only narrowly overlooked the year before too.

Everyone else - can’t remember tbh.
Tim English wouldn't have lasted to our pick in the MSD (just like Tim Kelly wouldn't have). And I still come back to none of these other guys being better backup as 19 year olds (when they were drafted, as opposed to years later with development) than what we have with Lobb. We are already developing two young rucks. Were you suggesting we need to be developing three? Because your original post sounded more like getting someone in who could step in and play as an AFL ruck immediately (incase Meek and Darcy are both injured) - in which case none of the names you mentioned were ready when they were drafted, let alone ~6 months earlier should there have been a MSD in the respective year. Rucks take time to develop. All the best injury cover ones I've seen have basically been rotated between AFL clubs via trade.

Sorry to harp on about this but I've watched a lot of Peel and I got close to giving up watching a few years back because I was sick of seeing 1-2 lumbering rucks thrown in the goal square at Peel because we were carrying too many on our list and there was nowhere else to develop them.

If Meek really does step up and ends up being traded to another club we should get a reasonable pick in return no?
Depends entirely on how much Darcy is injured to give him gets AFL exposure. The ruck market is pretty crazy and a desperate club could part with something decent (2nd round AT MOST) if he performs at AFL level

if we have a long term injury to any of Darcy/Meek/Lobb then it’d be silly not to grab some ruck cover in the MSD, especially seeing they’ve all got injury histories. seeing tabs as our ruck for a game would be quite the experience though
Tim English wouldn't have lasted to our pick in the MSD (just like Tim Kelly wouldn't have)
he probably would have - could have been taken in the 2016 MSD if it existed, if done after round 10 like the 2019 version we actually would have had pick 1.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
if we have a long term injury to any of Darcy/Meek/Lobb then it’d be silly not to grab some ruck cover in the MSD, especially seeing they’ve all got injury histories. seeing tabs as our ruck for a game would be quite the experience though
As long as we don’t pick up a speculator who is at least 18 months away from even looking like he might be able to play.........which he wasn’t.

That MSD selection needs to be a player who possibly could have an impact in the 2nd half of the year & this season there may be quite a selection after footy was compromised last year.

I really hope we learnt that.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tim English wouldn't have lasted to our pick in the MSD (just like Tim Kelly wouldn't have). And I still come back to none of these other guys being better backup as 19 year olds (when they were drafted, as opposed to years later with development) than what we have with Lobb. We are already developing two young rucks. Were you suggesting we need to be developing three? Because your original post sounded more like getting someone in who could step in and play as an AFL ruck immediately (incase Meek and Darcy are both injured) - in which case none of the names you mentioned were ready when they were drafted, let alone ~6 months earlier should there have been a MSD in the respective year. Rucks take time to develop. All the best injury cover ones I've seen have basically been rotated between AFL clubs via trade.

Sorry to harp on about this but I've watched a lot of Peel and I got close to giving up watching a few years back because I was sick of seeing 1-2 lumbering rucks thrown in the goal square at Peel because we were carrying too many on our list and there was nowhere else to develop them.

Weren’t we last mid season in 2016 when Tim English was drafted?

I was suggesting draft another ruck to develop at WAFL level (depth ruck probably wasn’t the right term - wouldn’t quite call them a project ruck though). I fully recognise most of the guys I mentioned weren’t ready when drafted - these guys despite being slightly mature age had 2-3 years of development before being an good. I’m just not sure we can drag a useful ruckman across the country to play mostly WAFL with the odd AFL game unless said player had no other choice to stay on an AFL list.

I can understand your frustration at having too many rucks at WAFL level but let’s look at the rucks on our list between 2013 and 2021:
2013: Sandilands, Griffin, Clarke, Bradley, Hannath, Moller
2014: Sandilands, Griffin, Clarke, Bradley, Hannath, Moller, Apeness
2015: Sandilands, Griffin, Clarke, Hannath, Moller, Apeness
2016: Sandilands, Griffin, Clarke, Hannath, Apeness
2017: Sandilands, Griffin, Clarke, Darcy, Apeness, Strnadica
2018: Sandilands, Darcy, Meek, Jones, Apeness, Strnadica
2019: Sandilands, Darcy, Meek, Jones, Lobb
2020: Darcy, Meek, Lobb
2021: Darcy, Meek, Lobb

For me four is the right amount and five is absolute overkill. Given in most of those years we actually had more than five... yea I see your frustration. There’s plenty of room to develop two rucks at WAFL level imo.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
For me four is the right amount and five is absolute overkill. Given in most of those years we actually had more than five... yea I see your frustration. There’s plenty of room to develop two rucks at WAFL level imo.
I'd agree four is the right amount if two are kpf/rucks. I'd be fine with another kpf/ruck or even a ruck/kpf - although I'd prefer them being far more KPF than ruck. I would have been very happy with Shannon Neale last draft for instance.

Three or more pure rucks is too many imo. It's like having too many pure mids. They just don't have enough versatility to be useful. They either have to be the best in their role to make the B22 or almost always they just clog the list.

I'm really not a fan of recruiting just to cover for injuries. You only have so many list spots - and it has been reduced dramatically lately making spots even more valuable. I'd rather fill the current and future gaps in regard to our B22.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like Darcy and maybe the reaction to Meek might be a bit early after 1 scratchie but if it did play out that Meek is the best ruckman by the end of the year would we trade Darcy to Geelong for Jordan Clark at the end of the year?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I like Darcy and maybe the reaction to Meek might be a bit early after 1 scratchie but if it did play out that Meek is the best ruckman by the end of the year would we trade Darcy to Geelong for Jordan Clark at the end of the year?
I wouldn’t. I like Clark a lot but feel like we have his position covered. Neale would need to be part of a trade with Geelong.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think it is incredibly unlikely teams carry more than 3 rucks with list sizes shrinking. We are at capacity.
Three rucks is fine if one of them isn’t your second KPF as it is with Lobb. Treacy aside, we do not have a legitimate second tall forward and cannot afford to sacrifice Lobb to the ruck position full time. Lobb is a below average ruck anyway.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The role of ruck is one of the evolving positions in AFL. It is changing in combination with the 200cm-ish KPPs. Geelong for example runs talls who ruck in both their forward and defensive arcs, plus a mobile ruck who isn’t really your typical #1 ruck. Hawkins has turned the forward bounce downs into a goal-mine for them, and while Blicavs is a fairly ordinary ruck he generally halves the outcome and provides great mobility. They have half a dozen players on their list 200cm+ along with Hawkins and Blicavs at 198.

This kind of strategy is what I would like to see us follow from a list management perspective.

Brisbane have 7 players 200cm+
Richmond have 5 and another 2 at 199.

We have 4 with Pearce the only one I would consider a mobile tall, and he is also unlikely to ruck.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Three rucks is fine if one of them isn’t your second KPF as it is with Lobb. Treacy aside, we do not have a legitimate second tall forward and cannot afford to sacrifice Lobb to the ruck position full time. Lobb is a below average ruck anyway.
Exactly right, our issue is with tall forward stocks not rucks. Lobb is easily good enough to be the 3rd ruck on the list.

We need at least 1 more KPF and I would argue 2.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Out of contract players
Full List of out of contract players

Adam Cerra
Reece Conca - has a trigger in his current contract
Mitch Crowden
Nathan Wilson
Ethan Hughes
David Mundy
Brett Bewley
Darcy Tucker
Matt Taberner
Lloyd Meek
Leno Thomas
Lachlan Schultz
Stephen Hill
Travis Colyer
Josh Treacy
Tobe Watson
Sam Switkowski
Bailey Banfield
Stefan Giro
Taylin Duman

Obvious Keep players
Adam Cerra
Josh Treacy
Darcy Tucker
Matt Taberner
Lloyd Meek - we need ruck depth

Trigger he will likely hit
Reece Conca

Not sure about these. A few will earn a new contract, some won't.
Mitch Crowden
Nathan Wilson
Ethan Hughes
Brett Bewley
Leno Thomas
Lachlan Schultz
Stephen Hill
Tobe Watson
Sam Switkowski
Bailey Banfield
Stefan Giro
Taylin Duman

Delist
Travis Colyer

Retire
David Mundy

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Exactly right, our issue is with tall forward stocks not rucks. Lobb is easily good enough to be the 3rd ruck on the list.

We need at least 1 more KPF and I would argue 2.
We do have Brennan Cox if we are caught out this season & our KPD’s remain fit. That’s a big if, but there are options.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Out of contract players
Full List of out of contract players

Adam Cerra
Reece Conca - has a trigger in his current contract
Mitch Crowden
Nathan Wilson
Ethan Hughes
David Mundy
Brett Bewley
Darcy Tucker
Matt Taberner
Lloyd Meek
Leno Thomas
Lachlan Schultz
Stephen Hill
Travis Colyer
Josh Treacy
Tobe Watson
Sam Switkowski
Bailey Banfield
Stefan Giro
Taylin Duman

Obvious Keep players
Adam Cerra
Josh Treacy
Darcy Tucker
Matt Taberner
Lloyd Meek - we need ruck depth

Trigger he will likely hit
Reece Conca

Not sure about these. A few will earn a new contract, some won't.
Mitch Crowden
Nathan Wilson
Ethan Hughes
Brett Bewley
Leno Thomas
Lachlan Schultz
Stephen Hill
Tobe Watson
Sam Switkowski
Bailey Banfield
Stefan Giro
Taylin Duman

Delist
Travis Colyer

Retire
David Mundy
Wilson and Hughes would need a massive disaster to not stay on the list imo. Schultz probably the same.

I think we'll probably try and offload Blakely again probably with no success. I'd be watching our key defenders with interest too. We've got four that are too good not to be playing AFL footy each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back