List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you look at what Sydney have done recruiting Gulden at pick 32 and Chad at 39, it just goes to show that you can find some hidden gems outside the first round. The club choosing to trade for older players instead of hitting the draft has proved costly. We should have used the draft instead of trading for Conca, Coyer, Acres etc.
Seriously, do some research.

When you look at what Sydney have done recruiting Gulden at pick 32 and Chad at 39, it just goes to show that you can find some hidden gems outside the first round. The club choosing to trade for older players instead of hitting the draft has proved costly. We should have used the draft instead of trading for Conca, Coyer, Acres etc.
FFS dude.

Conca was a free agent.

Colyer was traded for a fourth round pick.

Acres came as part of Hill trade.
Despite the lack of draft capital given up I would be more than happy to see these 3 cleared off the list ASAP. None of them are of any use in a finals side. Also we should consider what kind of $$ they are on as well as the draft picks traded. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if any or all are on $500k per annum, a thought which makes me want to vomit actually. If we lost an elite young talent due to salary cap pressure in the coming years due to overpaying these guys it would be a very bitter pill to swallow

Conca was a free agent.

Colyer was traded for a fourth round pick.

Acres came as part of Hill trade.

Conca - free agent and wasn’t in Richmond’s best 22.

Colyer - was contracted, salary dump to get Dylan Shiel and wasn’t in Essendon’s best 22.

Acres - was contracted, salary dump to get Bradley Hill and wasn’t in St Kilda’s best 22.

3 Colin Young potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To fill with what exactly?

Late draft picks that are unknown quantities on low wages and might be another Frederick. Rather than proven duds on mid level wages. Conca and Acres have had some good moments and I can sort of understand the thinking (salary aside), but have largely been failures. Colyer ... I thought that was a mistake or a joke when that trade was read out.

Colyer - was contracted, salary dump to get Dylan Shiel and wasn’t in Essendon’s best 22.

Acres - was contracted, salary dump to get Bradley Hill and wasn’t in St Kilda’s best 22.

3 Colin Young potatoes.

Conca was always best 22 at Richmond. Hardwick loved him and I don't understand the hate towards him personally

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Conca was always best 22 at Richmond. Hardwick loved him and I don't understand the hate towards him personally

We just saw him stop Green a couple of games ago, and Fyfe thanked him personally when he won the Brownlow. But some here think he’s a dud. Would have loved to see him switched into the midfield last weekend when we needed a bit of grunt.

He's also in our leadership group! I really don't get the hate. He's the perfect clubman. Just needs to not be disposing the footy by foot, at all - should be a defensive mid shielding for our kids/Fyfe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duffield summed up the problem with Conca very well the other day on his podcast. About 2/3 of the way through the Monday episode.
He is a momentum stopper when it comes to the transition out of defence into attack. When he gets the ball on the half back flank he can’t play a simple 30 m kick pass into the corridor to continue the counter attack while the opposition defence is out of position. He looks inside, sees the pass and actively decides “I’m not taking that on”. You can literally see the decision being made in real time when he stops and starts scanning around him for a few seconds. Why does he do this? Because he simply does not trust his ability to make the pretty straightforward forward kick. And with good reason. His foot skills are not at the required level.
He will then turn around and take a safe chip kick back, or alternatively hoof it down the line to a 50:50 contest. The scoring chance is then gone.
I can already see how Conca would be the Tommy Sheridan in 2015 v Cyril in any serious finals game we might ever get to.
That’s why Richmond got rid of him too.

Duffield summed up the problem with Conca very well the other day on his podcast. About 2/3 of the way through the Monday episode.
He is a momentum stopper when it comes to the transition out of defence into attack. When he gets the ball on the half back flank he can’t play a simple 30 m kick pass into the corridor to continue the counter attack while the opposition defence is out of position. He looks inside, sees the pass and actively decides “I’m not taking that on”. You can literally see the decision being made in real time when he stops and starts scanning around him for a few seconds. Why does he do this? Because he simply does not trust his ability to make the pretty straightforward forward kick. And with good reason. His foot skills are not at the required level.
He will then turn around and take a safe chip kick back, or alternatively hoof it down the line to a 50:50 contest. The scoring chance is then gone.
I can already see how Conca would be the Tommy Sheridan in 2015 v Cyril in any serious finals game we might ever get to.
A - Richmond actually offered him a contract to stay, we simply offered a better one

B - goes both ways. Wilson is a better kick but an average defender, so while Conca might be a liability with ball in hand, he's a pretty good lock down defender. You very rarely get both attributes from a small defender. I don't disagree that his kicking is poor, that's just a fact sadly, but if our rebounding defenders actually worked as hard as Conca, then he wouldn't need to touch the ball so often.

They didn’t get rid of him, he left, he was a wanted player.

Conca gets on any list in the competition

You can’t just keep topping with young players, you need some experience at the club and on game day. I’m not sure how anyone can say Conca, who cost no draft capital, has not been a great pick up.

Sorry but that's on the coach more than on Conca. He tells him where to play/what his role is.

Anyone who isn’t an above average kick, Fyfe or a KPP is an absolute spud according to many on this board, especially the week after a loss.

Thought you’d been here long enough to know that :p

Conca would be get on every single AFL list. Acres and Colyer has been more valuable than anything we’d have got with pick 60 odd (which is roughly what we have had to use to replace the list spots)

I think topping up your developing list with experience with low picks is a good way to go about it but do think we have one too many ‘top-uppers’ (Acres being the one I’d cut since I think the others at least provide exper
I agree with Conca, he has been ok.

Colyer and Acres have been bad pick ups, and we offered them too long a contract.

I don't mind getting mature agers, but they should at least be able to protect our younger players. Colyer and Acres can not do that.

Conca was a good acquisition. Especially with our culture shift.

Acres I can understand to some extent. Clearly has talent, was young enough and wing was an issue after Billy and Ed.

Colyer I can't wrap my head around. Him and Banfield (last year) are the list spots I'd spend on speculative outside players or KPFs.

A - Richmond actually offered him a contract to stay, we simply offered a better one

B - goes both ways. Wilson is a better kick but an average defender, so while Conca might be a liability with ball in hand, he's a pretty good lock down defender. You very rarely get both attributes from a small defender. I don't disagree that his kicking is poor, that's just a fact sadly, but if our rebounding defenders actually worked as hard as Conca, then he wouldn't need to touch the ball so often.

I get what you are saying. I know Reece is a decent guy and I’m sure he’s a great role model and leader around the club. But the new rules where scoring is higher means that his attacking limitations hurt us a lot.
As Duffield also says - Hughes on the other HBF is the exact same. I think there is only room for one of Hughes and Conca in the team.

I agree with Conca, he has been ok.

Colyer and Acres have been bad pick ups, and we offered them too long a contract.
Yeah, I stuffed the reply. I’d be happy with one of Colyer or Acres. Both is probably one too many.

We have at least 3 alternatives for HBFs not in the best 22 in Walker, Thomas and Duman. We also have players like Aish who could play the same role. If Conca keeps getting games down there it is clear that he is pretty much doing what the coach requires him to do.

3 Colin Young potatoes.

I was responding to a poster who said they should have went to the draft, especially in the second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back