List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose look at this way, given Williams is basically the only decent fwd/ruck in the draft, he's either exactly who we are talking about or Bell is talking sh*t about what we want. I'm pretty sure last year we didnt say we wanted a floating 3rd tall before we took Chapman.

I refuse to believe the club is stupid enough to think 3 KPFs on the list is anywhere near sustainable

I'm fairly certain that JLo came out and said the same thing last year i.e. we're targeting forward/ruck and pace in the off season.

We took best available at our first pick and didn't reach for someone else that better fit our apparent target, then reached for NOD which perhaps could fill the pace aspect but I doubt it, and then took our two NGA's (pace) but then went a true forward instead of a forward/ruck or ruck/forward.

If we're thinking Bell was referring to our drafting targets then I think he's playing ducks and drake's. Trade targets, that's another story and if the targets don't come off then we may never know.

We can argue back and forth until we are all blue in the face about which players we missed and excuses why we haven't picked up more forwards... but the reality is our forward line is arguably the worst forward line in the AFL. Big picture, our list managers have failed to build a suitable forward line with sufficient depth to cover for injuries etc. It is beyond time to resolve that and it starts with sufficient tall forwards both now and into the future. They are the ones that take the longest to develop. They are the ones that make the biggest impact to structure. Stocking up on other positions without addressing this just further delays a problem that should be obvious to anyone (not just those with a keen interest in list management).

This latest messaging about prioritising a ruck/forward and more half back flankers concerns me greatly. These positions are not key pillars for recent premiership teams. West Coast won a premiership with Vardy. Richmond won premierships without even playing a proper ruck/forward. We need legitimate forward marking targets that know how to kick a set shot without spectators chewing their finger nails off every time.
Spot on.

I would hope we have lined up all of the following:
Developing ruck/fwd
Developing KPF
Speedy Wing/HBF

Also Williams is tall enough to pinch in the ruck but he would fall under the KPF category. Jordan Clark would definitely fall under the Speedy Wing / HBF. But another Developing ruck/fwd is a good idea. We are a bit thin in this area. It’s not unrealistic to have Lobb, Darcy and Tabs suffering injuries all around the same time.

I don’t mind Meek but from what I’ve seen he is a ruckman with minimal forward craft. He may well have to be the fwd option this weekend but isn’t ideal as a forward. A young developing ruck/forward plying their craft at Peel with Meek balances our list.

Spot on.

I would hope we have lined up all of the following:
Developing ruck/fwd
Developing KPF
Speedy Wing/HBF

Also Williams is tall enough to pinch in the ruck but he would fall under the KPF category. Jordan Clark would definitely fall under the Speedy Wing / HBF. But another Developing ruck/fwd is a good idea. We are a bit thin in this area. It’s not unrealistic to have Lobb, Darcy and Tabs suffering injuries all around the same time.

I don’t mind Meek but from what I’ve seen he is a ruckman with minimal forward craft. He may well have to be the fwd option this weekend but isn’t ideal as a forward. A young developing ruck/forward plying their craft at Peel with Meek balances our list.
Surely as a stop gap Meek rucking with Williams pinch hitting can work fine.

Our forward line woes are not for lack of trying. It's because what we have tried hasn't worked for various reasons. Big difference. Top 20 draft capital has been heavily invested (be it draft, trade, pick swaps) in a large number of forwards over recent years. We tried to build what would have now been a 26-28 year old forward group of Bennell, Simpson, Hogan, McCarthy, Taberner and Lobb. Sprinkle in Fyfe cameos, Walters and youngsters and it would be the best in the comp. Instead it has failed dismally with a raft of mental/physical problems. Time to load up again in this draft.

I'd swap Cerra and Young for Naughton and Georgiades, but I don't think any club in the competition would have done much differently to us if they had our picks and no benefit of hindsight. Darling is really the only major blunder. Shocking decision, but it is an outlier. There is the Hogan trade debacle, but that's not ignoring a key forward issue, it is making the wrong choice. Outside that, if you start from Logue and go backwards to Murphy, the best KPF we could have found in that whole time (in 12 drafts where we had a first rounder) with perfect hindsight would be a Daniel McStay or Rowan Marshall level of player. Many picks were duds, but they still would have been duds if we chose a KPF like Vickery, Butcher, etc.

Sturt is the only quality forward that we attempted to draft in the 3 drafts 2016 - 2018. That and the failures of Hogan and McCarthy are why were in the position we are now.

Strangely there have been very few around here calling for us to draft forwards over the last 5 years with there being a firm focus on mids.

Paging Bastyy and Ysaye, hell I'll even ping PMBangers who likes to stalk our board abit =p

• I like his tackling and has good numbers even at a senior level.
  • Kicking technique looks pretty neat on both feet.
  • Good size (190cm) whilst still being reasonably agile
  • I am a bit worried about his possessions numbers and how much he will get of the ball at AFL level, even last year when he was going better than this year arguably he still wasn't putting up massive numbers on a regular basis.
  • Was pretty damaging on the scoreboard last year and has kicked the odd goal here and there this year (he is a 0.6 - 0.75 goals a game player).
  • Average speed, not slow but no decent upper register either.
I am waiting to see what happens at the Championships (if there are any) but he could slip down the order atm - I am not sure I don't like Joshua Browne better.

There are always a lot of other factors. That's the point.

Constantly swapping out players for a bunch of new players who are going to be brillant later is fool's gold because of those pesky little other factors that always seem to get in the way.
Not really, not at that level....those players you mentioned were in reality picks 30-40 quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is worth?

He is contracted for two years. He is a required player. He also plays a role that is held at a premium by most clubs.

So, yep, he might not be as good a player as what the kid at #5 _might_ turn into. But he's our forward/ruck not yours. So pay. (Or preferably don't pay and we hold the bastard to his contract.)
Sometimes those top picks end up being Dow, SPS, etc or worse Bennell.
GC have done nothing with Rankine, at least Lobb would help ironically King. Maybe they would want Meek too?

My god you talk some rubbish. Why even bother posting something so ridiculous.
It certainly is unlikely, however I like the aspirational nature of the post. As others have said, we need to fleece those who seek to pry away contracted and structurally important players. When this is gold coast in particular, they should be bullied to pay top dollar as the AFL will always support them and they have caved previously. I don't think they will on this occasion, but who knows - in any event, it's a negotiation and in these circumstances, aim high and reduce the price if/only when you must.

Last edited:

Paywalled. Anyone able to copy/paste the text?

Does anyone have the text for these Ralph posts aha?

Gold Coast have entered the race for Fremantle ruck-forward Rory Lobb amid uncertainty about his playing future at the Dockers.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Suns have expressed a strong interest in Lobb as the perfect mature-aged key position star to bolster their ruck and attacking options.

Lobb is contracted for the next two seasons on around $700,000 per year and has not expressed a strong desire to leave after crossing from GWS in late 2018.

But his partner is considering work options in Melbourne, with clubs on the eastern seaboard clearly believing the 28-year-old is gettable.

Clubs including Collingwood, Hawthorn and North Melbourne are searching for ruck-forwards but Lobb’s age and price tag would likely scare that trio off.

His manager Colin Young said on Friday neither he or Lobb had courted a trade from Victorian clubs.

But he could not guarantee Lobb would be at the Dockers next season.

The Suns have not lodged an offer for Lobb yet but would clearly need to offer a three-year deal or more to drag him across the country.

They have already expressed an interest in Richmond ruck-forward Callum Coleman Jones.

Gold Coast’s injuries and recent departures have left their tall stocks ravaged at times this year with captain and ruckman Jarrod Witts out for the season with an ACL tear.

Ben King has shown exceptional talent and kicked 40.19 this season ahead of Alex Sexton (17) and Izak Rankine (16), with athletic 191cm forward Josh Corbett the next-best tall.

Chris Burgess has battled away valiantly in the ruck but ranks 23rd for hit-outs across the competition.

Lobb has kicked 20.19 for the year but rucked less with the emergence of Sean Darcy, averaging only 4.2 hit-outs a season.

Gold Coast has picks five, 19 and 23 in the national draft after being handed an end-of-first-round selection as part of its AFL assistant package.

The league has the right to take that assistance pick away from the Suns if they roar up the ladder but with only six wins would be unlikely to strip it off Gold Coast.

Most clubs have a strong first ruckman but are looking for a second or third key tall who can also play in the ruck at times.

It is why Port Adelaide’s Peter Ladhams, Collingwood’s Mason Cox and out-of-contract Melbourne tall Sam Weideman will all have rivals assessing their suitability this year.

Richmond’s Mabior Chol is an unrestricted free agent and showcased his talents with four goals against Brisbane on Friday night.

Carlton and Richmond are at the head of the queue for Fremantle’s Adam Cerra, but the Dockers push for finals continues to give him serious food for thought.

Cerra is still likely to ask for a trade, but some confidantes are suggesting if he is genuinely 50-50 on returning home he could still sign a two-year deal with the Dockers rather than the four they have offered.

Cerra is split between returning to a Victorian-based family that he has barely seen since the Covid issues started and staying at a club that is going places.

Cerra loves coach Justin Longmuir, is enjoying playing with his Freo teammates and has finally been thrust into a pure midfield role rather than half-forward or wing.

Carlton is reported to have offered around $2.8 million over four seasons, with the Dockers offering as much as $3 million.

Former Fremantle captain Matthew Pavlich told Fox Footy on Thursday night he believed Cerra should stay given the club’s emerging midfield.

“Despite the loss tonight, I think the Dockers are trending in the right direction with that young group that’s come through together with Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy and Cerra himself,” Pavlich said.

“I think he should stay for a couple more years and see it through.

“Clearly that’s a bit of a biased perspective having done it myself a couple of times and seen it through, but I think it’s important for him and the club to at least go a couple more years and see where that gets the club to.”

My god you talk some rubbish. Why even bother posting something so ridiculous.

That is what it will take to get the deal done. He is under contract for another 2 seasons, is crucial to our structure and game plan, and, most importantly, we don't want to let him go. It will take a massive offer that is way over what he is actually worth to get the deal done. All this talk of a late first and a 2nd is complete bullshit and won't even get close to getting the deal done.

His manager Colin Young said on Friday neither he or Lobb had courted a trade from Victorian clubs.

Lobb has kicked 20.19 for the year but rucked less with the emergence of Sean Darcy, averaging only 4.2 hit-outs a season.

Point 1 - suck it Colin, he’s contracted. You’re gonna have to get clubs to pay up and at the mercy of Mr Bell and his Feathered cap.

point 2 - Lobb doesn’t wanna ruck. Ralphy sucks

That is what it will take to get the deal done. He is under contract for another 2 seasons, is crucial to our structure and game plan, and, most importantly, we don't want to let him go. It will take a massive offer that is way over what he is actually worth to get the deal done. All this talk of a late first and a 2nd is complete bullshit and won't even get close to getting the deal done.
I reckon it would. You would also be ditching a massive salary

Gold Coast have entered the race for Fremantle ruck-forward Rory Lobb amid uncertainty about his playing future at the Dockers.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Suns have expressed a strong interest in Lobb as the perfect mature-aged key position star to bolster their ruck and attacking options.

Lobb is contracted for the next two seasons on around $700,000 per year and has not expressed a strong desire to leave after crossing from GWS in late 2018.

But his partner is considering work options in Melbourne, with clubs on the eastern seaboard clearly believing the 28-year-old is gettable.

Clubs including Collingwood, Hawthorn and North Melbourne are searching for ruck-forwards but Lobb’s age and price tag would likely scare that trio off.

The Suns have not lodged an offer for Lobb yet but would clearly need to offer a three-year deal or more to drag him across the country.

They have already expressed an interest in Richmond ruck-forward Callum Coleman Jones.

Gold Coast’s injuries and recent departures have left their tall stocks ravaged at times this year with captain and ruckman Jarrod Witts out for the season with an ACL tear.

Ben King has shown exceptional talent and kicked 40.19 this season ahead of Alex Sexton (17) and Izak Rankine (16), with athletic 191cm forward Josh Corbett the next-best tall.

Chris Burgess has battled away valiantly in the ruck but ranks 23rd for hit-outs across the competition.

Gold Coast has picks five, 19 and 23 in the national draft after being handed an end-of-first-round selection as part of its AFL assistant package.

The league has the right to take that assistance pick away from the Suns if they roar up the ladder but with only six wins would be unlikely to strip it off Gold Coast.

Most clubs have a strong first ruckman but are looking for a second or third key tall who can also play in the ruck at times.

It is why Port Adelaide’s Peter Ladhams, Collingwood’s Mason Cox and out-of-contract Melbourne tall Sam Weideman will all have rivals assessing their suitability this year.

Richmond’s Mabior Chol is an unrestricted free agent and showcased his talents with four goals against Brisbane on Friday night.

Carlton and Richmond are at the head of the queue for Fremantle’s Adam Cerra, but the Dockers push for finals continues to give him serious food for thought.

Cerra is still likely to ask for a trade, but some confidantes are suggesting if he is genuinely 50-50 on returning home he could still sign a two-year deal with the Dockers rather than the four they have offered.

Cerra is split between returning to a Victorian-based family that he has barely seen since the Covid issues started and staying at a club that is going places.

Cerra loves coach Justin Longmuir, is enjoying playing with his Freo teammates and has finally been thrust into a pure midfield role rather than half-forward or wing.

Carlton is reported to have offered around $2.8 million over four seasons, with the Dockers offering as much as $3 million.

Former Fremantle captain Matthew Pavlich told Fox Footy on Thursday night he believed Cerra should stay given the club’s emerging midfield.

“Despite the loss tonight, I think the Dockers are trending in the right direction with that young group that’s come through together with Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy and Cerra himself,” Pavlich said.

“I think he should stay for a couple more years and see it through.

“Clearly that’s a bit of a biased perspective having done it myself a couple of times and seen it through, but I think it’s important for him and the club to at least go a couple more years and see where that gets the club to.”
Ben King with his goal tally, well done Freo 👍

Interesting that Luke Jackson and Sean Darcy trained together in the off-season last year away from the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that Luke Jackson and Sean Darcy trained together in the off-season last year away from the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luke Jackson would be a dream!! I propose these trades.

lobb and Fremantle first for Jackson
Cerra ( If he wants to leave) for Carltons first
Logan McDonald for Carltons First

I live in a dream world haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back