List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading that Nathan Krueger from Geelong (drafted from SA) is out of contract. He had a reasonable game as a KP defender today, but has mainly played as a forward. He has been injured but seems over that. Looks aggressive and a decent young player. If he was offered an opportunity for regular games he may be gettable.

Another player the Cats have on their list is Taheny, also from SA, and one of Chris25 fancies during his draft year as a medium forward/ wing.

Cats also hold Neale, Clark and Narkle, all from WA.

On the surface that looks like a whole bunch of potential list cloggers, but Krueger looks decent, Clark fits what Bell suggested we need, Narkle would be best 22 and Taheny and Neale play positions of need for us.

Cerra for the lot? Collectively they may make enough cap room for him, and Geelong love developed players.

Dont think cerra wants to go to geelong. cant see geelong trading 5 players for 1 as well

Dont think cerra wants to go to geelong. cant see geelong trading 5 players for 1 as well
Cerra would be mad not to. Best chance of a premiership. Geelong is really close to Melbourne.

Realistically there is not much trade value in some of those boys, and only Clark and Neale have contracts.

Last edited:

Cerra would be mad not to. Best chance of a premiership. Geelong is really close to Melbourne.

Realistically there is not much trade value in some of those boys, and only Clark and Neale have contracts.
Bell has said freo want to go to draft. theyd want 2 good picks no a few bit part players.

I'd like Narkle and clark but they wont have anything to do with cerra deal

Just reading that Nathan Krueger from Geelong (drafted from SA) is out of contract. He had a reasonable game as a KP defender today, but has mainly played as a forward. He has been injured but seems over that. Looks aggressive and a decent young player. If he was offered an opportunity for regular games he may be gettable.

Another player the Cats have on their list is Taheny, also from SA, and one of Chris25 fancies during his draft year as a medium forward/ wing.

Cats also hold Neale, Clark and Narkle, all from WA.

On the surface that looks like a whole bunch of potential list cloggers, but Krueger looks decent, Clark fits what Bell suggested we need, Narkle would be best 22 and Taheny and Neale play positions of need for us.

Cerra for the lot? Collectively they may make enough cap room for him, and Geelong love developed players.
This makes no sense at all.
This would be the equivalent of Geelong giving Joel Selwood to freo in 2012 in exchange for Tommy Sheridan, Jack Anthony, Alex silvagni and a couple of other role players.
One elite player cant be replaced by 4 or 5 role players. There’s a premium on a probable 250 game player like Adam Cerra and a few fringe and VFL players from a top 4 side sure is not it.
In my view, Narkle is worth maybe pick 45-50, Clark maybe pick 35.
The others you mentioned have never even played for the cats and so are worth the same as Luke Valente on the trade table (nothing).
So Cerra for pick 35, pick 45 and some token junk picks at the end of the draft?

Absolutely no way!!

Who would you prefer to develop as a forward/ruck: Williams or Mac Andrews?

Mac Andrew has really good height (~200cm), really good speed (he moves a bit like Riley Thilthorpe from last year, Nic Nat or a really big version of Michael Frederick maybe) and can take a mark on a lead. He isn't as good in the contested mark space or in the air but given he is also good in terms of directed taps to players at ground level (ie. a good tap ruckman) there is no reason to believe that he won't be able to develop that with improved upper body strength. And his kicking for goal looks pretty solid. He doesn't have the numbers of goals that Williams has but that is probably because he is spending more time in other positions. He is also good at tackling at ground level. Williams may have him covered for game sense but the gap is not that big, and Andrew playing defence has probably taught him a lot about reading the play. I like Williams longer term as a contested mark / knock everyone out of the way type better though.

They have different styles and both are a bit raw in different ways and I think Andrew will take a while whilst he develops upper body strength but in terms of potential Andrew probably wins out for sheer athleticism which is as I have said elsewhere is pretty critical for high end talls. I don't think Andrew is going to end up at Melbourne through the NGA process; I think someone will take him inside the Top 20 although I am thinking 15-20 more than 10-15. I suppose what it will come down to is whether we think Andrew is better than whatever midfielder is available at our first pick bearing in mind that the wing/HBF prospects that will be there will probably look pretty good relative to the pick, compared to what will be available at our around second pick. If we pick up a second first round pick though, the picture probably changes a bit and Andrew comes into contention.

What free agents should we be targeting this year, 2022 and 2023.

I really think Bolton in 2023 makes a lot if sense. Billings this year if Cerra goes.
A KPF who can ruck would be good this year as well if Lobb goes a.g. Sam Day

Mac Andrew has really good height (~200cm), really good speed (he moves a bit like Riley Thilthorpe from last year, Nic Nat or a really big version of Michael Frederick maybe) and can take a mark on a lead. He isn't as good in the contested mark space or in the air but given he is also good in terms of directed taps to players at ground level (ie. a good tap ruckman) there is no reason to believe that he won't be able to develop that with improved upper body strength. And his kicking for goal looks pretty solid. He doesn't have the numbers of goals that Williams has but that is probably because he is spending more time in other positions. He is also good at tackling at ground level. Williams may have him covered for game sense but the gap is not that big, and Andrew playing defence has probably taught him a lot about reading the play. I like Williams longer term as a contested mark / knock everyone out of the way type better though.

I'll be really interested as to who takes Mac Andrew. Massively high risk, high reward I think. If we want a versatile tall early, he's pretty much the only one...in my opinion he'll either be a generational talent or struggle to find a true role at AFL level and fizzle out into a depth player. Should be fun to watch regardless.

The best thing for us though is that van Rooyen and Williams are slowly dropping down the order - with Amiss separating himself as the #1 forward. Williams with concerns over his athletic ability should be available at our second, and van Rooyen might go mid to late second. He's a quality #2 forward for me, don't want him played down back. Whereas Williams should be playing at CHB. Hopefully the Champs get played and they can perform well, but not too well for Fremantle's sake...

They have different styles and both are a bit raw in different ways and I think Andrew will take a while whilst he develops upper body strength but in terms of potential Andrew probably wins out for sheer athleticism which is as I have said elsewhere is pretty critical for high end talls. I don't think Andrew is going to end up at Melbourne through the NGA process; I think someone will take him inside the Top 20 although I am thinking 15-20 more than 10-15. I suppose what it will come down to is whether we think Andrew is better than whatever midfielder is available at our first pick bearing in mind that the wing/HBF prospects that will be there will probably look pretty good relative to the pick, compared to what will be available at our around second pick. If we pick up a second first round pick though, the picture probably changes a bit and Andrew comes into contention.
If Sean Darcy remains injury free, the ruck/forward position will
be split 70/30 at most?
Then you look at gameplan, ball coming in and that’s when you realise we need more forward craft than pinch hit ruck.
Andrew Mac is like a skinnier NN, unless our forward line is functioning can he take contested marks?
If he plays like Lobb, is that enough goal scoring, 20 goals a year? Or a genuine forward who could double that output.
The reality is it’s Treacy then who will partner him to our next finals campaign.
Injury free it’s Treacy, Henry, Sturt, then daylight ATM.
We won’t be winning any free wheeling games, it’s the defence that will determine the outcome under JLo.
Unless things change I just don’t see the innovation to take the competition by storm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be really interested as to who takes Mac Andrew. Massively high risk, high reward I think. If we want a versatile tall early, he's pretty much the only one...in my opinion he'll either be a generational talent or struggle to find a true role at AFL level and fizzle out into a depth player. Should be fun to watch regardless.

The best thing for us though is that van Rooyen and Williams are slowly dropping down the order - with Amiss separating himself as the #1 forward. Williams with concerns over his athletic ability should be available at our second, and van Rooyen might go mid to late second. He's a quality #2 forward for me, don't want him played down back. Whereas Williams should be playing at CHB. Hopefully the Champs get played and they can perform well, but not too well for Fremantle's sake...

love your take Chris. So you don’t think JVR could be the 1 number key forward?

would freo Amiss is they get picks for Cerra do you think?

love your take Chris. So you don’t think JVR could be the 1 number key forward?

would freo Amiss is they get picks for Cerra do you think?

I wouldn't say he can't, and I do like van Rooyen more than most still. But if he's a genuine #1 forward then he wouldn't be spending any time at all down back. I think we'd look at Amiss in that 10-20 range.

Who do you have us taking in this draft Chris? Love your insight!

Erasmus should be at the top of our list. And I think the two SA boys in Roberts and Draper would fit well, better than some of the Vic mids like Hobbs and Ward. The speed of Sinn will have him high up, but I do think he's a better half back than wing at the moment. Hard to say until we see what happens at trade time.

I wouldn't say he can't, and I do like van Rooyen more than most still. But if he's a genuine #1 forward then he wouldn't be spending any time at all down back. I think we'd look at Amiss in that 10-20 range.

Erasmus should be at the top of our list. And I think the two SA boys in Roberts and Draper would fit well, better than some of the Vic mids like Hobbs and Ward. The speed of Sinn will have him high up, but I do think he's a better half back than wing at the moment. Hard to say until we see what happens at trade time.
What about later or rookie gems?
Players like Bazzo, Polson, etc, where Freo maybe can strike gold?

It's usually at the Champs that the later round guys pop up. I'd like us to bring in a midfield bull, Angus Sheldrick has been decent this year but I'd rather spend a little more and go for the size of Kade Dittmar. Corey Warner would be another likely on our radar, someone James Tunstill could be a shot with a strong Champs performance. Luke Polson would be probably the most likely of the WA talls to rotate through the ruck, just a matter of where else he fits in. That's just WA.

Our no.1 priority is a KPF but it really depends on who leaves end of year. I've always favored Dittmar over Erasmus because he will come alot cheaper and means we can use our first round picks on KPFs. More importantly he really fits that big bodied mid at 90kg that we need and he has a nice goal kicking style (although he hasn't kicked many this year). Also comes with a bit of mongrel and a mullet ;)

Our no.1 priority is a KPF but it really depends on who leaves end of year. I've always favored Dittmar over Erasmus because he will come alot cheaper and means we can use our first round picks on KPFs. More importantly he really fits that big bodied mid at 90kg that we need and he has a nice goal kicking style (although he hasn't kicked many this year). Also comes with a bit of mongrel and a mullet ;)

I watched Dittmar when he was playing under 15’s for Margaret River juniors and he had a lot of mongrel in him back then.

If Cerra leaves would we have the capital to get Erasmum, Amiss, JVR and Motlop?

I watched Dittmar when he was playing under 15’s for Margaret River juniors and he had a lot of mongrel in him back then.
That's exactly what we need especially when Mundy and Fyfe retire, we need big bodies to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back