List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

One thing I don't get. If I'm Jackson and playing in a grand final tomorrow with a young group that seemingly will only get better, why am I leaving next year to a team that hasn't made the top 8 since 2015? I'm constantly told it is about $$ and/or success. It would appear Jackson is currently getting both. If I was Jackson I would probably hang around a bit longer to see if I could pick up a couple of medallions at least before heading home.

Plus, who knows what the WA teams are going to have to do next year due to covid with Vic and NSW opened up and exposed. The Perth teams may have to hub next year in Vic which wouldn't be great or at least not play in front of Perth crowds. Lots of ?? If I was Jackson's parents or sibling(?) I would be saying, mate, make the most out of playing for Melbourne and then come home for $$. There's no rush.

One thing I don't get. If I'm Jackson and playing in a grand final tomorrow with a young group that seemingly will only get better, why am I leaving next year to a team that hasn't made the top 8 since 2015?
Why would Cerra even consider going to the basket case that is Carlton? Have always got the feeling Jackson is close with his family - the lure of home would be strong imo.

But unless Melbourne really really really want Cerra I don't see Jackson in purple next year. I think there is a good chance he'll eventually end up at Freo though.

Surely if the Cerra - Jackson trade were to happen Melbourne would want our pick 8 to grab Mac Andrews.
Therefore a Cerra plus pick 8 for Jackson and something, is more likely.
So I guess the question is would we do Cerra and 8 for Jackson and Brayshaw?

Why would Cerra even consider going to the basket case that is Carlton? Have always got the feeling Jackson is close with his family - the lure of home would be strong imo.

But unless Melbourne really really really want Cerra I don't see Jackson in purple next year. I think there is a good chance he'll eventually end up at Freo though.
If Jackson tells Melbourne that he will returning to WA at end of 2022 then Melb will have little choice but to get maximim benefit for him now ie Cerra + 2nd Rnd. I do not want this to happen - unless Lobb goes. This is THE year to load up on WA kids.

Surely if the Cerra - Jackson trade were to happen Melbourne would want our pick 8 to grab Mac Andrews.
No way in hell should we entertain Brays haw. We complained that Neale was surplus as we have a bunch of inside mids so trading away Cerra and pick 8 for Jackson and ANOTHER now mediocre inside mid is stupid.

another hypothetical to consider would be whether Cerra would be leaving this year if Freo were playing in a GF tomorrow and he didn't have a Victorian GF. I wouldn't think he would be in such a hurry to go home.

I’d rather take at least one first rounder to the draft personally. We’d be kicking ourselves if Erasmus made it to 8 (10) and we’d sold our first rounder for Angus Brayshaw so we could get a contracted ruck/forward in the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d rather take at least one first rounder to the draft personally. We’d be kicking ourselves if Erasmus made it to 8 (10) and we’d sold our first rounder for Angus Brayshaw so we could get a contracted ruck/forward in the door.
If we had Jackson, then we could trade out Lobb, noted that we won't be receiving a top 10 pick for Lobb though.
I heard an interview with Longmuir today and he specifically mentioned how important Brayshaw is to Melbourne's defensive structures on the wing.
I was quite surprised.

If we are going to invest a top ten pick on a player I want us to be planning to keep that player for their whole career.

Drafting a player like Andrew with a view to trade him to Melbourne for Jackson would be crazy, it means Freo assume 100% of the risk of drafting the player not turning out to be good and with a tall built like Andrew it's going to take a bit for that talent to show at AFL level, so he will look like he doesn't maintain his draft value when it comes time to swap him for Jackson.

If they want him so badly they can offer something impressive for our top ten pick to take him themselves.

Then we use Carlton's pick #6 to draft someone talented that we intend to get 250 games out of.

If we are going to invest a top ten pick on a player I want us to be planning to keep that player for their whole career.

Drafting a player like Andrew with a view to trade him to Melbourne for Jackson would be crazy, it means Freo assume 100% of the risk of drafting the player not turning out to be good and with a tall built like Andrew it's going to take a bit for that talent to show at AFL level, so he will look like he doesn't maintain his draft value when it comes time to swap him for Jackson.

If they want him so badly they can offer something impressive for our top ten pick to take him themselves.

Then we use Carlton's pick #6 to draft someone talented that we intend to get 250 games out of.
You don't draft him to trade him. You draft him for who he is. But if Jackson does declare a wish to return home you have currency. We may decide to simply keep Andrew. He looks like he an awesome prospect.

Do you remember all the blah blah last year about how long it would take before Cox would impact?

As others have alluded to, although Jackson would be a fantastic get; and is an amazing talent, is it the best list management move? Melbourne would want Cerra and 8 for Jackson (possibly a second rounder coming back to us).

Currently we need to bolster our midfield and get a quality young tall forward.

We already have a brilliant young ruckman. And a good forward ruck. Let's face it. No one wants Lobb on his salary. We would then have Darcy, Jackson and Lobb on our list with massive holes in our forward line and midfield.

The stars appear to be aligning for the 2021 draft (good quality WA midfielders and forwards in the pick 6-15 range) and I don't want us to throw it away.

As others have alluded to, although Jackson would be a fantastic get; and is an amazing talent, is it the best list management move? Melbourne would want Cerra and 8 for Jackson (possibly a second rounder coming back to us).

Currently we need to bolster our midfield and get a quality young tall forward.

We already have a brilliant young ruckman. And a good forward ruck. Let's face it. No one wants Lobb on his salary. We would then have Darcy, Jackson and Lobb on our list with massive holes in our forward line and midfield.

The stars appear to be aligning for the 2021 draft (good quality WA midfielders and forwards in the pick 6-15 range) and I don't want us to throw it away.
IMO we should be playing finals next year and aiming top four in '23. Therefore, if we follow that timeline we should be drafting a mid this year so we will be full strength come finals time. Same goes for a KPF. This is why I would be against a Jackson trade as much as I would love to have him.

Said it before

If our coach can’t come up with a dangerous game plan built around Jackson’s mobility and Darcy’s power

We need a new coach

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Said it before

If our coach can’t come up with a dangerous game plan built around Jackson’s mobility and Darcy’s power

We need a new coach

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Freo is a coach killer in that have amazing defence and midfield yet forwards are obsolete. Lobb leaves, the cupboards very bare. Not keen on drafting forwards when our window is 2023. Then we face developing forwards whilst Fyfe is 30+. THEN have to replace Fyfe, whilst we develop or patch over the loss of Cerra. It’s the fineline, list management

IMO we should be playing finals next year and aiming top four in '23. Therefore, if we follow that timeline we should be drafting a mid this year so we will be full strength come finals time. Same goes for a KPF. This is why I would be against a Jackson trade as much as I would love to have him.
Melbourne FC is becoming a derailer of Freo's rebuild recently..

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back